+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Macbook Air Turned Four Years Old Today, Everyone Else Just Now Making Ultrabooks

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Four years ago Apple introduced the Macbook Air to a fawning public. The devilishly thin build, unibody construction, and speed when paired with a SSD was compelling, but expensive. Fast
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The Macbook Air Turned Four Years Old Today, Everyone Else Just Now Making Ultrabooks

Four years ago Apple introduced the Macbook Air to a fawning public. The devilishly thin build, unibody construction, and speed when paired with a SSD was compelling, but expensive.

Fast forward to the present day, the MBA is faster, just as thin, and priced within the stratosphere. The MBA’s original $1,799 entry price has given way to a $999 11” model complete with 64GB of flash storage and a 1.6 Mghz i5 dual core processor.

When Steve Jobs pulled the MBA out of manila envelope on stage during 2008’s MacWorld keynote speech he put the rest of notebook world on notice. This was the future of laptops and the current popularity of netbooks would soon die by the hand of the MBA and the still unannounced iPad.

The exclusion of a SuperDrive was an early indicator of Apple’s intentions for physical media now fully realized with Mac App Store. Apple completely supplanted physical software distribution. Apple did it to music, it was only a matter of time until they did it to software.

A brief glimpse at CES 2012 headlines shows an overwhelming coverage of “Ultrabooks.” This new class of notebooks sport ultra-thin designs, incredibly fast processors, and a marketing emphasis that they are the future of notebooks.

Huh? How can they be the future, when they’re biggest influence, and biggest competitor is over four years old?

It's difficult to imagine these products getting any thinner, but I wouldn't be surprised if the name Macbook Air takes on an all to literal meaning before all is said and done.

Source: TUAW

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Yay macbook airs!
    I love mine hands down the best mac i have owned and i have had them all

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson
    when they’re biggest influence
    Typo - should say their.
    Last edited by thekirbylover; 01-15-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: quoting error

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    Huh? How can they be the future, when they’re biggest influence, and biggest competitor is over four years old?
    Hmmm... that's what I said when apple introduced
    FIRST EVARRR Video chatting to the mobile phone in 2010.... FaceTime... not like all 3G phones were capable of that
    A free messaging service obviously nothing like a particular Canadian company's BBM ..... iMessage wow how revolutionary
    And a superfast interface so much faster than any computer has ever seen... way faster than SATA, PCIe or USB3....Thunderbolt most splendid

oh by the way did you know now Mac OS has this cool thing called Launch Pad, where all your applications are in a grid format on top of your background? ITS SO SO SO SMART
    IF ONLY SOME OTHER OS THOUGHT OF THIS IN BACK IN 1995. DAYMN SON.

You think Apple is the one that doesnt copy? lmao
    Last edited by Raahem; 01-16-2012 at 02:31 AM.
    iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1 Jailbroken
    iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1 Clean

Windows 7

Thanks

Also, 1.6Mghz processor? I assume you mean 1.6Ghz?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Everyone else is just now making ultra books because tech has advanced to the point where ultra books are not POS. The first macbook air was cool, but it overheated, had a crappy display, and was just plain overpriced. The last two generations are where it was at, and that is right around the time others started getting in on the action.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had a friend who LOVED anything Apple and Mac. A few years back, he bought a Macbook Air Gen 1...and then he converted to PC/Widows because his MBA was THAT BAD!

Apple is a joke. I wish the Occupy Protestors would finish that company off. Occupy Protestors...go west!

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

I love my MBA, I know the first gens weren't that great because of a few design issues and the absence of a SSD. But the new ones are simply amazing. I have had two friends go out and buy MBA's after using mine. The speed is unparalleled to anything out there right now. Again I say a great machine.

On a second note, why is are these trolls being allowed to post? It is quite obvious with the user names some chose, and the comments they make that they are only here to hate. How sad must ones life be when they join a forum about a product they dislike just to troll?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raahem View Post
    Hmmm... that's what I said when apple introduced
    FIRST EVARRR Video chatting to the mobile phone in 2010.... FaceTime... not like all 3G phones were capable of that
    A free messaging service obviously nothing like a particular Canadian company's BBM ..... iMessage wow how revolutionary
    And a superfast interface so much faster than any computer has ever seen... way faster than SATA, PCIe or USB3....Thunderbolt most splendid

oh by the way did you know now Mac OS has this cool thing called Launch Pad, where all your applications are in a grid format on top of your background? ITS SO SO SO SMART
    IF ONLY SOME OTHER OS THOUGHT OF THIS IN BACK IN 1995. DAYMN SON.

You think Apple is the one that doesnt copy? lmao
    You seem to be confusing the word "competitor" with "inventor".

You don't have to invent something to be a big competitor in it. Apple doesn't claim to invent things. They take good ideas and adopt/improve them, like most companies try to do.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    You seem to be confusing the word "competitor" with "inventor".

You don't have to invent something to be a big competitor in it. Apple doesn't claim to invent things. They take good ideas and adopt/improve them, like most companies try to do.
    You are right. When they "make something better" it's cool. When someone else makes something of theirs better, they sue. Luckily we are seeing more of their lawsuit coming through and ruled as bull spit.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings