+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Enable TRIM On Your Mac SSD to Prolong the Life Span

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
[QUOTE=KartRacer;6367429]I'm sorry, you're going to have to provide a citation for this claim. From what articles are written on SSD controllers at AnandTech.com and Anand Lal Shimpi doing extensive testing
    Thanks

Default Anandtech has a column on TRIM Enabler 2.0
    [QUOTE=KartRacer;6367429]I'm sorry, you're going to have to provide a citation for this claim. From what articles are written on SSD controllers at AnandTech.com and Anand Lal Shimpi doing extensive testing with manufacturers, it would seem you are completely wrong. He has reproduced errors and worked directly with a number of them to fix those errors. I trust AnandTech, I don't trust you and certainly not the sloppy, presumptuous, incorrect, and ignorant information in this article.

The Anandtech article does mention that TRIM is generally not recommended on SSD's with Sandforce controllers but doesn't have anything bad to say about the Enabler. FWIW

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HCWHunter View Post
    The Anandtech article does mention that TRIM is generally not recommended on SSD's with Sandforce controllers but doesn't have anything bad to say about the Enabler. FWIW
    Quote Originally Posted by AnandTech.com
    As always, use such utilities at your own risk. Especially SandForce based SSDs have had problems with TRIM in OS X and its generally not recommended to enable TRIM with them--plus the built-in garbage collection in SF SSDs is fairly effective. I would recommend force-enabling TRIM in OS X only if you do something disk intensive where performance matters, and only if you have an SSD where idle garbage collection is proving insufficient; otherwise you most likely wont notice the change in performance and you run the risk of unintended consequences. On the other hand, TRIM Enabler makes disabling TRIM as easy as enabling it, so giving TRIM a try shouldn't hurt anything. Moreover, you can always enable TRIM later on if you experience poor performance, and even disable it right after it has TRIMed the empty blocks in case TRIM causes problems with your SSD.
    Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Read the first sentence. That's a pretty hefty warning, and Oskar Groth doesn't honor warranties and this MMi article states that you explicitly NEED to enable TRIM or face an unusable SSD in the near future. Which is explicitly false and that advice should not be taken in any way, shape, or form. It's extremely irresponsible of MMi to have a writer that not only is ignorant of what he is writing about, but gives explicitly wrong and warranty voiding information based upon that ignorance. Not wholeheartedly recommending this piece of software due to what's been stated in the above quoted paragraph IS saying something bad about it. They state twice that it isn't necessary, once that you should only do so at your own risk, and that by doing so you risk the chance of unintended consequences. Which is why I've said from the beginning to ignore this articles factually wrong statements and horrible "end of the world" fear driven ignorance and consult your manufacturer. Because neither Oskar Groth nor Anthony Bouchard will honor your warranty if this hack messes up your SSD. At least Groth doesn't try and scare people into using this tool like Anthony does. I seriously doubt he even knows how an SSD works, at least I get nothing from this article that shows he does.
    HK-Z on Game Center

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Atari800 View Post
    The next article is on USB stick drives. I bet the arguments in that will be a blood bath. Lol
    I turned TRIM on and my microwave dinged. Coincidence? I think not
    Sorry, I had to toss that in there. I am old school, I still use 8" floppy disks
    What.. you gave up on tape reels and punch cards?!
    Last edited by Vanishing; 02-01-2012 at 12:29 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

When is this article going to be amended? It's still full of inaccuracies and false information.

New info from Anand. Apparently aftermarket SSDs are being weird under OSX after long times and under loads. So this probably isn't the best thing to do to your SSD despite what Anthony ignorantly recommends.[How To] Enable TRIM On Your Mac SSD to Prolong the Life Span-screen-shot-2012-02-20-2.31.39-pm.png
    Last edited by KartRacer; 02-20-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    HK-Z on Game Center

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12