+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Snapseed Comes to the Mac App Store

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
You can get the popular iOS image editor on your Mac now. Snapseed is a popular image editing application for iOS coming soon to Android that lets you add so
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Snapseed Comes to the Mac App Store

You can get the popular iOS image editor on your Mac now.

Snapseed is a popular image editing application for iOS coming soon to Android that lets you add so many effects to a photograph that it seems like for the price, you're getting Adobe Photoshop Elements for a couple of dollars. Exaggerated, of course, but nonetheless Snapseed is worth taking a look at if you're an iPhone photographer or an amateur photographer that can't afford the photo editing software out there which is admittedly quite expensive.

Snapseed for Mac is in many ways just like Snapseed for iOS. It lets you pick a photo to play around with, and you can edit its color schemes, photo attributes, and focal points after the fact. The big difference between the Mac version and the iOS version would be that the Mac has a better processor than the iDevice does so this means that your renderings will appear quicker and you'll also like how you have a bigger screen to work with. You also have sliders instead of multi-touch gestures so this means that you can actually see the values you are working with in real time. You can see how the interface compares with the iOS version:

Snapseed for the Mac will set you back $19.99 which compares to the iOS version at $4.99. It supports Mac OS X Lion's full screen feature and includes built in social networking support so that after you edit an image you can use Snapseed to upload it directly to Facebook or Flickr. If you choose to use email, then your image will be sent at its original resolution because it doesn't need to be internet friendly for bandwidth reasons.

Editing options in Snapseed are extensive including features such as cropping, rotating, straightening, and tuning. There are also enhancement options which include filters like center focus, details, grunge, vintage, and much more. Snapseed supports the following image formats: '.jpg', '.tiff', and '.raw'. It works with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 or Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I think that it's a nice application to have, but if you're using professional tools like Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 then you will certainly feel like this is too simple of an application. It's intended for on-the-fly quick editing and won't replace professional software. In certain circumstances, professionals might use it to save time if a photograph doesn't need too much editing done. It currently holds a 5-star rating in the Mac App Store.

Check out Snapseed for Mac from this link.

Are you going to download and use Snapseed for Mac? Share in the comments.

Sources: Mac App Store
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-12-2012 at 06:29 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quite frankly, I've had Snapseed for a while on iOS (I downloaded it for free on one of their special sales) and I haven't used it. But seeing it on the Mac makes me think that I'm actually missing something cool ... Gonna play with it tomorrow on my iPad.
    27" iMac: Quad-Core 2.93GHz i7 & 16GB RAM
    iPhone 4S: 64GB iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPad 2: 32GB iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPod Touch 3rd Gen iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPod Classic (thick) 160GB

Thanks

Sounds like one of the least powerful desktop photo editors I've ever heard of. For being $20.

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Sounds like one of the least powerful desktop photo editors I've ever heard of. For being $20.
    It's definitely geared toward the average consumer. However, developer Nik Software has a dizzying array of professional level photo tools available on their website. I haven't used any of them so I can't attest to their usefulness, but they appear to be widely used.

Thanks

And what is the difference between this and iPhoto. IPhoto is now built in with every Mac they ship out. I can edit anything with it. And the default preview even has tools. So many free open source tools and stock ones. How many image editors does the average user need? I say average user because anyone professional probably already has tools that blow this toy out of the water. I just don't understand why people pay for stuff twice!

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greeneyes5066 View Post
    And what is the difference between this and iPhoto. IPhoto is now built in with every Mac they ship out. I can edit anything with it. And the default preview even has tools. So many free open source tools and stock ones. How many image editors does the average user need? I say average user because anyone professional probably already has tools that blow this toy out of the water. I just don't understand why people pay for stuff twice!
    Snapseed is different. It's like Instagram for your computer, except there are so many more options.