+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: CES 2012: Apple's Touchscreen iMac Concept Brought to Life by Lenovo

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default CES 2012: Apple's Touchscreen iMac Concept Brought to Life by Lenovo

One of Apple’s many patent publications from 2010 revealed the company’s concept for an iMac supporting both mouse-driven and touch-based input with a hinged display arm, allowing the screen to transition from an upright position to a horizontal surface. Although Apple has yet to release such a product and may have possibly taken the idea off the whiteboard completely, Lenovo seems to have brought it to fruition. Lenovo’s new IdeaCentre A720 was shown off at CES this week and offers a similar flexibility to transition between a traditional all-in-one desktop configuration and a flat touch surface.

Much like the HP TouchSmart 610, which debuted around this time last year, it has a display that can be tilted between 5 and 90 degrees. The idea here being that the 10-point multitouch panel will be easier to use if it’s lying at a near-flat angle. The flexible display arm isn’t the only attractive thing about the device either. Spec-wise, it is said to be offered with various Intel Core I processors, discrete NVIDIA graphics, and up to either 1TB HDD or a 64GB solid-state drive – starting at a price of $1,299. It is expected to hit sometime in the first half of 2012.

The folks over at The Verge managed to get a hands-on video showing the IdeaCentre A720 in use in both its upright and horizontal positions as well. After watching the demo, you may notice what seems to be a rather sluggish response to touch input. What it does offer is a good glimpse of the flexibility with the multiple orientations. You can check the video out below:

It should be noted that Apple’s patent application included descriptions of sensors that would automatically detect the orientation of the display and adjust the operating system being used accordingly. The main idea here was that the computer would utilize a Mac OS X interface in its upright position and then transition to an iOS-like touch interface when moved to the horizontal display. Lenovo’s concept doesn’t utilize this automatic sensing but what it does offer is Lenovo’s dedicated IdeaTouch layer on top of Windows 7. The IdeaTouch layer allows for the touch input.

Would any of you be interested in owning this kind of all-in-one desktop? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: The Verge

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

masharul (01-11-2012)

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Ill Pass

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

It would be good for a POS system, but on my desk? I don't think so.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

There are already boxes here with large touchscreens that you can use to select shops or restaurants and print out coupons. They are virtually in every mall here. Heck, even my apartment complex has one outside the building office.

Pretty much pointless for home use. It's just too big. I don't see many people would be willing to wave their arms around for hours working on something... heck, I'm sure you'd get tired doing it for a few minutes! And that's why Apple didn't really care for it. Not then, and certainly not now.

Thanks

I don't see how a touch screen desktop would be any good I will pass also

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to manickbarry For This Useful Post:

masharul (01-11-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What a PC it is , Really spectacular , i like it

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

its perfect for colleges and schools. built into podiums or desks would be amazing for engineers as well. imagine these built into your work surface incredible... just wait, when oled is fully released the capabilities of computers like this will be unreal.

Green Apple
    Thanks

heck yeah!
    I want one!
    but now broke!

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

This is nothing new. There have been lots of touchscreen all in ones. And samsung has already released a all in one that has the ability to lie flat as well. So this is nothing new. Lenovo did not bring this idea to life. Samsung did. Samsung Series 7 all-in-one Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Thanks

WTF, either 1 TB HDD or 64 GB SSD?! I mean, I'm all for choices, but why would you make someone pick between either speed or storage? That thing should definitely include both to make it worthy of the 'all in one' title. But what the heck, don't care really, I'll never bother with a prebuilt PC.. But I must say it'd make for one sexy hackintosh.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'd def buy this!

Quote Originally Posted by WTFX View Post
    WTF, either 1 TB HDD or 64 GB SSD?! I mean, I'm all for choices, but why would you make someone pick between either speed or storage? That thing should definitely include both to make it worthy of the 'all in one' title. But what the heck, don't care really, I'll never bother with a prebuilt PC.. But I must say it'd make for one sexy hackintosh.
    I agree, no reason why they should have to compromise of either