+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Vizio Entering the PC Market This Summer With Ultra-Portables and All-In-One PCs

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Vizio Entering the PC Market This Summer With Ultra-Portables and All-In-One PCs

Vizio is taking aim at the all-in-on PC and laptop markets in a big, very familiar way according to a report by Bloomberg today.

Vizio’s mission is simple, do to personal computers and laptops what the company did to the television market. Driving prices so low the competition has trouble justifying the enormous profit margins they rake in could be difficult in the traditionally razor-thin margin PC business, but that’s why Vizio is looking to disrupt the market in other ways.

“It’s very similar to TV -- we want to get in there and disrupt it,” McRae said. “We think most PCs have been designed for the small-business users, that others have not done a very good job of making them entertainment devices.”

Oddly enough, this rhetoric resembles Steve Jobs' and Apple’s rhetoric regarding the mobile computing experience and is largely how Apple separated iOS from other mobile operating systems during its debut. But, Vizio isn't a software company, so their only solution will be relegated to the hardware spectrum.

Vizio’s all-in-one PCs will come in 24” and 27” screen sizes, with their ultra ultra-portable notebooks coming in 15.6” and 14” sizes. Vizio will also release a regular notebook with a 15.6” screen. Every single computer will include features that deliver audio and video to Vizio TVs and speakers. While this does sound like an interesting feature, it seems more or less like a ploy to get people to purchase more Vizio TVs.

Vizio’s entry into the PC market, especially with devices that look to directly compete with Apple products, is a daring move. Their all-in-one PC and their notebooks borrow liberally from Apple’s iMac and MacBook Air designs even including a separate touchpad surface a la the Magic Trackpad. It wouldn’t surprise me if a few lawsuits are levied against Vizio by Apple.

Vizio doesn’t seem interested in creating a race to the bottom price wise like they did in the television market, but Vizio Chief Technology Officer Matt McRae did say the windows-based computers would go on sale in June at “a price that just doesn’t seem possible.”

Sources: Bloomberg, Engadget

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

these look like pretty sweet computers but they will probably be pieces of **** just like their tv's are. and who would honestly make something that even resembles a mac computer after all the lawsuits we have seen recently

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poynter32 View Post
    these look like pretty sweet computers but they will probably be pieces of **** just like their tv's are. and who would honestly make something that even resembles a mac computer after all the lawsuits we have seen recently
    Their TVs aren't crap.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

Just another company for Apple to sue. That's how they now deal with competition.

Thanks

+1

What's Jailbreak? pedroinfante666's Avatar
    Thanks
    Product shots look nice, but I'm pretty sure those will be all cheap plastic.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Very nice

Thanks

Seems to me that companies are not being innovative, there just copying whatever Apple comes out with. Apple sues because they have to protect their ideas and their brand. Apple is I believe the most valuable company now, so people have come out of the wood work with knockoffs and look alikes of their products.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
    +1
    Their new TV's are quite well received. If you haven't looked at the TV's they have released in the last 6-12 months - you should.

Thanks

Don't know about the rest, but that keyboard looks pretty sexy. Me likee.

Thanks

Damn that is a mac rip off

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    Damn that is a mac rip off
    Just getting more and more annoying comments like this. Most TVs are similar, most PC monitors are similar, most pens are similar, do you guys really have to be so annoying that whenever other companies release something that looks like stuff Apple made you have to call it a rip off? If you are doing it then you most certainly like what Apple is doing, then why not let others try to take it to a whole other level? Or just make it slightly better, or completely fail at it. Embrace the idea some companies are pushing their designers to build beautiful electronics don't whine about it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nice. i have a 42" vizio plasma hdtv and have had a few problems in which there warranty co. fixed the same day as there is one in the next town. if the all in one pc care the same warranty service. I'll be getting my hands on one asap.

Thanks

Default Vizo's are Junk. I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by MeRyanSch View Post
    Their TVs aren't crap.
    [B]Actually I work for Costco's Who sells Vizo's & the MOST returned TV's are Vizos. No Offense but Vizo's Don't get Good reviews like Other Brands. I see this like Best Buys Insignia vs Costcos Vizo...THEN..we can see who come's out on Top.lmao[B]
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.

Chris iPhone5 16GB(Evasion Jailbreak
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Mavericks
    Cydia Account #895872

Thanks

Wow. Sounds like just what I'm looking for. Both look excellent based off of looks alone, the only question left is whether they perform well.

Also, I like what appears to be streamlining with both using trackpads, which is something risky, but a cool effort anyway. Both the 14" ultraportable and 27" all in one look like great first entries into the PC market to me. Can't wait to see how the specs and equally important, pricing, look

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MeRyanSch View Post
    Their TVs aren't crap.

I agree. I have had no issues with any of my Vizio tv's. I think picture quality v/s price it's a pretty awesome buy. Their wifi blue ray was less than $100 and works great. I will continue to buy Vizio's products and enjoy them.

I would buy the laptop as I like the MBA but am not a mac fan.

I know it's popular on this site and on MR to trash anything that dares to compete with Apple but as another person above me said, that gets old really fast. Apple isn't the inventor of EVERY THING so ffs give it a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by CMartins View Post
    Just getting more and more annoying comments like this. Most TVs are similar, most PC monitors are similar, most pens are similar, do you guys really have to be so annoying that whenever other companies release something that looks like stuff Apple made you have to call it a rip off? If you are doing it then you most certainly like what Apple is doing, then why not let others try to take it to a whole other level? Or just make it slightly better, or completely fail at it. Embrace the idea some companies are pushing their designers to build beautiful electronics don't whine about it.
    What he said.
    Last edited by rkswat; 01-08-2012 at 12:52 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottw03's Avatar
    Thanks

my 47" LED LCD Vizio doesn't appear to be crap. Picture quality is awesome and the sound out of it seems great. I also have a Vizio 2.1 sound bar with wireless subwoofer and that thing sounds great.

I purchased a Scepter 32" LED LCD 720p tv for my bed room and the picture quality on that is pretty good so can't complain much on that. The sound on it though was horrible. Very tinny. Purchased a Logitech speaker/subwoofer set and plugged it into the back of the TVs Analog audio out and made a world of difference. For about $250 total purchase price on Cyber Monday, I can't complain too much. Allowed me to hook up my Apple TV 2 to it for watching iTunes and Netflix in bed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone satointl's Avatar
    Thanks

Mmm. Is that keyboard on the market yet?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CMartins View Post
    Let's be honest, they are certainly catering to the "I want an iMac but don't want to spends $2k on it" crowd with this machine. This is more similar to a current gen iMac than it is to any other all-in-one on the market. And this is coming from a Windows/OSX user that GENERALLY leans in the direction of Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    Actually I work for Costco's Who sells Vizo's & the MOST returned TV's are Vizos. No Offense but Vizo's Don't get Good reviews like Other Brands. I see this like Best Buys Insignia vs Costcos Vizo...THEN..we can see who come's out on Top.lmao
    Then you also know that it is above and beyond the most frequently purchased TV brand at Costco as well. I don't heave real numbers, but I would bet that the Vizio brand outsells all other TV manufacturers combined through Costco.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

I have my vizio Lcd tv 32 inch for almost 3 years no problems got it for 300 at that time u couldn't fine a 32inch lcd for that price. it was a great deal good picture good sounds no complaints. so its good there getting into the PC market now that means more competition for the rest of them and lowered prices for PC's.