+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Google, Not Apple Poses Biggest Threat to Amazon's Kindle Fire

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Despite anticipated holiday sales numbers indicative of the iPad losing some traction to the upstart Amazon Kindle Fire, a new report indicates that the tablet landscape could look much different
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Report: Google, Not Apple Poses Biggest Threat to Amazon's Kindle Fire

Despite anticipated holiday sales numbers indicative of the iPad losing some traction to the upstart Amazon Kindle Fire, a new report indicates that the tablet landscape could look much different from its present form by the middle part of this year. And that could change who Amazon perceives to be its chief competitor.

According to the latest buzz engendered by Digitimes, Google's widely expected mid-2012 tablet offering will take square aim at the Kindle Fire's market segment - not the iPad's. Although, on the surface, it appears that all tablets are competitors, that isn't the case in today's market.

A primary reason the Kindle Fire proved so popular over the holidays is because of its lower price. While promising high-end functionality at a lower cost, the Kindle Fire is believed to have poached somewhere between 1 and 2 million iPad sales from Apple over the holiday quarter.

"Sources from Google's upstream supply chain believe that Google, instead of Apple, may actually be targeting Amazon's 7-inch Kindle Fire as its major competitor," Digitimes says.

If Google releases a tablet that looks like and is priced competitively with the Kindle Fire, Amazon and Google will then be left to duke it out among the shoppers looking for that which the lower-end tablet variety offers.

Source: Digitimes

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I bought a Kindle Fire with my Christmas money and am not looking back. With a cost 40% that of the cheapest iPad, I have many job promotions before I can dream of affording one. I rooted the Fire and am quite happy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rcworship View Post
    I bought a Kindle Fire with my Christmas money and am not looking back. With a cost 40% that of the cheapest iPad, I have many job promotions before I can dream of affording one. I rooted the Fire and am quite happy.
    Awesome!! This is the first I'm hearing of a fire being rooted. What all can you do with your rooted fire??

Thanks

You can install the Andoid Market...I'll buy a Kinfle Fire soon
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jastra View Post
    Awesome!! This is the first I'm hearing of a fire being rooted. What all can you do with your rooted fire??
    It's been rooted since the first week. It's pretty cool how they pull it off using the id3 tags on an mp3 file.
    Last edited by A3gOwner; 01-05-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow.. if theres a google and amazon tablet for around $200, then Apple has to respond with something.
    Lower the price of the iPad, or a new, smaller but affordable device.
    I really doubt Apple would lower the price of an iPad.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Apple has never had to respond with a cheaper anything. Its a Mac.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    maybe Apple will respond with 7' tablet that was in the talks.

Banned
    Thanks

Apple controls the prices of their devices and they have dropped their prices all the way down to FREE. they also sell refurbished devices. If apple dont respond to the competition apple will get left behind--like has with the smartphone market share that sees Android growing by leaps and bounds every Qtr.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Let's not kid ourselves here. Apple has pretty much floundered its entire existance until they came around with the iPod. They're in a different state now than they were ever before, and they likely will not want to give that up.

That said, I don't see the fire competing directly with the iPad anyway. Most of the people buying the fire were simply in the market for a much cheaper tablet. They would likely not have purchased the thing in the first place if it wasn't so insanely cheap. Personally, I don't see Apple dropping the price of the iPad nearly enough to sway potential kindle buyers at all.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-05-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Apple controls the prices of their devices and they have dropped their prices all the way down to FREE. they also sell refurbished devices. If apple dont respond to the competition apple will get left behind--like has with the smartphone market share that sees Android growing by leaps and bounds every Qtr.
    It makes me so mad when people say stuff about how android is selling better than iOS, of course it is, there are hundreds (possibly more) of android phones out there compared to 3 iPhones. Not exactly a fair comparison huh?

And I'm not saying that because I'm an apple fan boy, I have a HP touchpad (with android dual boot) and I had an HTC phone before I got my iPhone. The only reason I got my iPhone is I was tired of applications not working on my phone due to its hardware and screen resolution. Also due to the promised gingerbread update that never happened.

iOS is in no way perfect, but it's a damn site better than android at the moment (in my opinion) maybe when fragmentation is sorted out (which ice cream sandwich is making worse) I will give it another chance

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post

Wrong. Apple has never lost a dime on anything. They have never changed the price of their product in any way. You are mistakenly thinking of the carriers offering subsidized deals to make their money back when they bought the phones from apple. How much are the phones on the APPLE SITE where Apple sells them? Right.

Refurbs shouldn't be cheaper? THey are reselling USED items. Of course they are cheaper.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s