Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Skullcandy Titan Series Headphones

Default [Review] Skullcandy Titan Series Headphones

The Skullcandy Titan in-ear headphones.

In-ear headphones are hit or miss headphones. Either they're comfortable or they're not. Either they have good bass or they don't. They can also be quite expensive for what they do. You'll also find that sometimes a cheaper pair could be better than a more expensive pair. It all depends on your ear-size, iPod equalizer settings, and hearing abilities. No pair of headphones is the same for everyone - everyone hears differently. Today we will be taking a look at the Skullcandy Titan headphones which will compete head on with the Klipsch Image S4 headphones that we reviewed closer to Christmas.

The 3.5mm headphone jack at the top of your iPhone, bottom of your iPod touch, or top of your iPad is a powerful little jack capable of pumping out a lot of sound. The big deal-breaker is what pair of headphones will sound good to you. If you're looking to hear some bass and also have good noise isolation, then the Skullcandy Titan headphones might be something that you should look at. They have some low frequency responses that you can certainly hear better than other headphone types. The metal enclosure helps keep sound from escaping anywhere except for your ear; helping to direct all noise where it needs to go the most. The in-ear design creates an air-tight plug that causes noise isolation so that you can't hear anything except for your music.

While the sound quality and low frequency bass is excellent, I do have a problem with the comfort of these headphones. They use harder silicon than most and they continually put massive pressure on my ear canals that isn't very comfortable. Additionally, they feel like they slip out often. This isn't a problem that I had with the Klipsch Image S4 headphones, which stayed in my ear securely and comfortably without any ear pressure. The pressure that these headphones cause in your ear can make the bass feel unpleasantly bothersome.

Another thing to look at is the wiring. The Skullcandy Titan headphones have an inline microphone and control with one button on it - however it seems that the button doesn't work for anything useful on the iDevices and the wiring is extremely tangle prone, whereas the Klipsch Image S4 headphones have a nice wiring that is pretty hard to tangle without doing t intentionally. If you bunch up the Skullcandy Titan headphones in your pocket, I can almost guarantee that you'll be tangled when you pull them out.

While the sound quality of the Skullcandy Titan is great, there is a slight issue with iDevices that for some reason causes random high-volume jolts. I have yet to diagnose if it happens with movement of the device/headphone jack, or if it has to do with button controls, but it just happens randomly and goes from minimum to maximum volume for a second or two. That's one way to blow out your ears, I suppose. It's a scary feeling and it will get your adrenaline flowing pretty quickly as you panic to pull them out of your ears.

All in all - they're decent headphones. The bass is better than the Klipsch Image S4 headphones, but they're uncomfortable. The Skullcandy Titan headphones cost $39.99 versus the Klipsch Image S4 headphones that cost $79.99. My philosophy is, if you want comfort and mellow sounds, go with the Klipsch Image S4 headphones. If you want heavier bass at the expense of some comfort, then go with the Skullcandy Titan headphones. I replaced them once to see if the jolting volume issue was due to a faulty pair and it happened with the new pair as well, leading me to believe that it's a driver problem with iOS devices. I would give these headphones three stars out of five. They come in many different colors.

Sources: Skullcandy
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-31-2011 at 03:46 PM.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Got these for free. The version without the mic tho. My old 50/50's broke and I used the warranty to get these for FREE! Score. I'm not sure if these have more differences than the micd version. But I'm had no issues with comfort or them falling out.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Hope these reviews keep coming in the new year. Find them really good!

Happy new year all. Peace out.

These are pretty good as I have owned a pair of these before. True on the comfort thing, I recommend the Skullcandy FMJ. They come with silicone buds that mold to your ear.

I love the bass on these things.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blinxtom View Post
    These are pretty good as I have owned a pair of these before. True on the comfort thing, I recommend the Skullcandy FMJ. They come with silicone buds that mold to your ear.

I love the bass on these things.
    My wife and I both have a pair of the 11mm FMJ. Can't beat the price. The quality for the price is quite impressive. The bass is deep (but not distorted) and the treble is great. Plus they have a lifetime warranty. Just send them in and you will get a new pair for free. A lot of people say they are crap ear buds, but hey if you only pay 30 bucks for them on Ebay shipped...then who cares, especially if they are lifetime warrantied.

I have been using Skullcandy FMJ with inline mic headphones for the last three years. I keep going back to them because I used to get a 50% discount as part of the ski club at my university. However, in three years I have been through 4 pairs of earbuds. I use them on a daily basis commuting and after several months I always have issues with the cord wearing out at the headphone jack. Skullcandy has always been good about replacing them under their warranty, but honestly I'm getting sick of having to replace them so frequently. Now that I have graduated and don't get the discount I'm not sure that I'm going to be spending my money on these anymore. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

The newest generation of Titan shows that Skullcandy is declining - Last year, I bought a pair and they came standard with a plastic sheathed metal cable, much stronger buds, better sound, and more. I know this because my old ones got eaten by my dog and I bought the new ones. The newer ones are terrible compared to the old ones and I returned them and bought the old ones for the same cost from a different company.

I went through loads of different bud earphones and to me there's not much discernible difference between expensive ones and real cheap ones, thy all have the same issues, the cheapest ones I've bought have turned out to be the most impressive all round package and that was sennheiser cx400 for 11

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    The newest generation of Titan shows that Skullcandy is declining - Last year, I bought a pair and they came standard with a plastic sheathed metal cable, much stronger buds, better sound, and more. I know this because my old ones got eaten by my dog and I bought the new ones. The newer ones are terrible compared to the old ones and I returned them and bought the old ones for the same cost from a different company.
    ya the FMJ's i have now have the plastic coating around the metal, which is much much better than ones that just have the rubber/plastic coating around the braided metal wire. The insulation always came off. I had a pair of FMJ's that were missing about 3-4 inches of insulation, nothing but bare wire showing, lol but they still worked. Ended up just sending them in when i got home from Iraq and got a brand new pair. But yes than can fall apart especially if you use them on a daily basis like i was.

Thanks

well you shood try a review on JVC Gumy earphones..

the reason the volume spikes is due to the microphone. They fixed the issue with the Heavy Medal buds. But i had same problem with the FMJ's i have 3 pairs of them and all have the problem. If you dont use the mic then just put a piece of tape over it because the wind hitting the mic causes the spike.

Thanks

I just got the Beats Pro by Dr.Dre

So I'm good
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

i've bought almost every kind go Skull headphones for my little brother and they all fal apart WAY too easy, or a speaker quits working (hesh, inkd, lowriderz, etc). won't ever buy skullcandys again

I LOVE 50/50's! The base is so wonderful and the earbuds don't fall out of my ears easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobzking View Post
    i've bought almost every kind go Skull headphones for my little brother and they all fal apart WAY too easy, or a speaker quits working (hesh, inkd, lowriderz, etc). won't ever buy skullcandys again
    Ditto

I've ha a large assortment of headphones/ Bluetooth and I went large last pair and went with the monster solo HD headphones. Kinda bulky, outer ear headphones that sit flush against your ears, but wow. I've never in my life herd such amazing sound quality and bass out of anything I've ever seen before. 249$ in stores but I got a pair
    On kijiji for 180 cash. Best money I've ever spent on headphones

I feel like getting my self a pair, great review😃

I can't recommend the 50/50's enough. I have a pair and I think the sound quality is on par with the iBeats or Dre Tours for half the price. I picked up a white pair for $19 at Best Buy early Dec. I LOVE them! Very comfortable...the buds are very soft and mold well to the ear canal.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog5142 View Post
    I can't recommend the 50/50's enough. I have a pair and I think the sound quality is on par with the iBeats or Dre Tours for half the price. I picked up a white pair for $19 at Best Buy early Dec. I LOVE them!
    +1 for the great 50/50's!

my last Skull Candy that like were the FMJ 2009 models. After 2009 quality went downhill. The control piece on the mic had the pause/play/answer call button plus the up and down volume button. They removed the up and down button and changed the mic/control module in the 2010-current with ugly ones. 2009 FMJ are hard to find but I'll pick up a older model over any of the current models.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast