+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Looking for A Reliable External Hard Drive for Your Mac?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
I have the 1TB version, bought it for $80 at Best Buy. Use it for time machine backup and movie storage on my Macbook Pro.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone DirtyDan's Avatar
    Thanks

I have the 1TB version, bought it for $80 at Best Buy. Use it for time machine backup and movie storage on my Macbook Pro.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Got my 500GB at Wal-Mart for $50 on sale. Never had any issues with it. I've had problems with my WD 500GB though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    For $80 even after the flooding? I highly doubt that, and nice rant do you work for them or something?
    Western Digital was the worst affected by the flooding, and Seagate is banking on that since they were the only ones NOT hit.

That being said, I've had several of these die on me next to my old 500GB WD that's made it so far for a good 5 years, approaching 6. That and I've personally had absolute horrors with Seagate in the past when dealing with customer support, the instant they heard it was for a powermac I suddenly ran into wall after wall of "we don't support Apple unless you buy the drive IN your mac" so if you do end up calling tech support? Don't let them know you're a mac user, just in case >.<

As far as reliability, are they using a new tech. that makes them more reliable or more apple-friendly than other brands? Was there any testing done on these units to compare them to others as far as speed, reliability, temperature stability etc? If they're now better, I'll start recommending these instead of the WD ones, which have been my standard suggestion for clients over the last 6 or 7 years.
    Last edited by ArtemisKitty; 01-03-2012 at 06:47 PM.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12