+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Devs Work to Provide Side-by-Side Apps on Apple TV

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The popular iOS developer Steven Troughton-Smith has been working with another developer named TheMudKip to add iOS application functionality to the Apple TV. As of right now, the tweak is
    Thanks

Default Devs Work to Provide Side-by-Side Apps on Apple TV

The popular iOS developer Steven Troughton-Smith has been working with another developer named TheMudKip to add iOS application functionality to the Apple TV. As of right now, the tweak is still in its early stages but the concept of running apps has been proven. To accomplish the task of running iOS applications on the Apple TV, the developers re-wrote the software that powers the app launcher, otherwise known as the iOS Springboard.

Re-writing the code for the iOS Springboard also sparked innovation for cool new features such as side-by-side apps. This concept was demonstrated as early as WWDC 2011 on an iPad but this tweak in specific is one that is much more powerful and important on a device such as the Apple TV. The thought of being given the option to open several applications all at once brings forth the notion of being able to multitask or monitor information to a whole new level. You can see some images of the tweak in its current state below:

Stay tuned for more news regarding the tweak as it develops.

Source: Steven Troughton-Smith (Twitter), TheMudKip (Twitter)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by benderrodriguez View Post
    nice
    yeah!!!
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

Thanks

From a person that's new to apple tv having it just over a month! I think apple have over simplified it and should have made it more like iOS! And they should have added an app store for the unit and I would love some one finding a way to use a hard drive with it! But I hope this development leads the way

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 4,204 Posts

this seems promising

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

coool

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    From a person that's new to apple tv having it just over a month! I think apple have over simplified it and should have made it more like iOS! And they should have added an app store for the unit and I would love some one finding a way to use a hard drive with it! But I hope this development leads the way
    I think u can technically hook up a hard drive to it, just plug it into a computer on the network or into the wireless router and it should be able to see the hard drive through sharing over wifi

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Kewl

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    You can use a hard drive with it if you jailbreak. My ATV is jailbroken and it works a treat. I have all my movies on a NAS and I can watch them without having to keep my Mac switched on. I also don't have to convert everything to MP4 either. XBMC FTW!