+ Reply
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Issuing Take Down Notices to Major Piracy Sources

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple is finally attacking their money-making barricades. Piracy is a large problem in the computer world and one company that's really feeling the pain from it is Apple. As we
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Issuing Take Down Notices to Major Piracy Sources

Apple is finally attacking their money-making barricades.

Piracy is a large problem in the computer world and one company that's really feeling the pain from it is Apple. As we know Apple takes a thirty percent cut from all App Store sales. This means it makes sense that Apple would want to kill off any iOS piracy firms. One of the large firms can be accessed from iDevices through a Cydia source with their own application. This is one reason why Apple doesn't want us jailbreaking our iDevices. We don't condone piracy and it isn't allowed here. Apple doesn't want it around either.

Cracked iOS applications cost Apple a ton of money. Millions are downloaded each day out of ignorance that people are really hurting the companies. Millions more are downloaded each day on purpose because people want stuff for free and simply don't care that what they're doing is wrong. The after effect of all of these applications not being sold is Apple and the hard-working developers included losing out on billions of dollars.

Apple has issued 'take down' warnings to one of these firms in attempt to destroy the firm. This firm is taking measures into their own hands to try and avoid being shut down by moving their servers to countries around the world where copyright isn't applicable. A cowardly move by the firm involved - they are attempting to keep the servers up and running completely against Apple's demands and against United States copyright laws. The firm said this:

Quote Originally Posted by Piracy Firm
    Over the last several months, Apple has been scraping [piracy firm name withdrawn] for links and sending huge takedown notices for a ton of content. We’ve been working to keep [piracy firm name withdrawn] up-to-date, but the only (effective) way to prevent automated takedowns was to add a CAPTCHA to outbound links. In addition, we finished moving our servers to several different countries earlier this week. This has raised our costs far beyond what we can afford with declining donations, meaning that we will have to place an advertisement on that CAPTCHA page.
    With Apple supporting the SOPA bill by proxy early in the beginning of its introduction and later backing away from it, we can now see why Apple is so stifling about piracy. Apple backed out of the SOPA bill only because of the seemingly questionable powers that it gives the government and businesses. Aside from that, the idea of being able to shut down piracy firms sounded good to them. We will likely see more bills similar to SOPA in the future that try to keep piracy from existing.

We expect that with Apple attacking one of the largest cracked iOS application firms, we will see much more coming up. Like all companies, they are out to make money and anything that stands in their way is a threat that needs to be terminated. Companies have fought piracy for ages - will Apple be able to put tighter control on it? Only time will tell.

Do you think Apple will be successful in breaking most iOS piracy in half? Share in the comments.

Sources: 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-30-2011 at 04:09 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I honestly don't think it will happen.
    If there's one thing I've leaned from hackers and pirates (other than hackers are will to help) is they always find a way around the system.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post
    I honestly don't think it will happen.
    If there's one thing I've leaned from hackers and pirates (other than hackers are will to help) is they always find a way around the system.
    This.

In order to beat piracy, you have to offer an easier, better solution than the pirates do.

Trying to directly attack the problem only drives it further underground.

Thanks

I hope they succeed!

Green Apple
    Thanks

You-Know-Who's philosophy is that they do this because Apple doesn't offer refunds or a trial period.

If either was implemented, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    In order to beat piracy, you have to offer an easier, better solution than the pirates do.
    I'm at a complete loss as to what you're suggesting by that.

Quote Originally Posted by hbdragon88 View Post
    You-Know-Who's philosophy is that they do this because Apple doesn't offer refunds or a trial period.

I don't think that's the biggest reason for this, but I would like to see that implemented.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 12-30-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hbdragon88 View Post

It's not Apple's job to offer trial periods. It's the developer's job. The big picture here is that if you need something - know what you want and then buy it. You don't need to pirate for an excuse to get things for free - trying it or not.

I have asked numerous developers in person if I could try something and they were more than happy to let me have a try with it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me sino84's Avatar
    Thanks

WTF! Now they're doing the same like Sony did before with the PS3!!! Ok, piracy is hurting their business...but is this really necessary?! After this they'll be after our iOS hackers!!!

An iDevice is nothing without a Jailbreak! Limited functions! A few people already moved to Android...

iPhone? More like MyPhone xerray's Avatar
    Thanks

Whatever happened to removing the ability to refuse cracked apps on iOS 5? I recall a while ago, one of the developers had said they were going to enforce that idea but never pulled through I guess

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

Good for Apple for targeting the bad guys rather than the entire Jailbreak community. I know they tried before but with their wealth they didn't have to give up.

I don't get why people pirate in the jailbreak world. It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. It only harms jailbreaking as a whole in the end.

On another note. I wish cydia would remember my damn email and password for when I redownload purchased tweaks/themes after a re-jailbreak. It's beyond annoying now.

Thanks

Whether it's software, or something physical like money, counterfeiting/pirating will never stop. Apple needs to decide if the money/energy they're allocating to fight this is worth the money they'll recover by shutting them down. My guess is it's not.

I don't use cracked apps at all. That decision isn't for moral reasons such as starving devs, or poor Apple not getting the money to add to it's massive cash mountain. It's because a cracked app, by nature, has had its code altered. And someone that can alter code probably has the skills to add spyware, brick my device, or any other thing you can think of that will possibly expose sensitive info to who knows who... And saving .99 isn't worth the unknown risks to me.

Perhaps Apple would be better off educating people to the risks, but then they'd have to publicly acknowledge the issue, which doesn't really fit in with their ultra-hip advertising motif.

Livin the iPhone Life littlelisa63's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 905 Posts

I always buy my apps...but I think apple should do a proper check on some of the apps they let into there app store as I've had a few that says it'll do this and that and then you pay for it and it don't work properly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i113 View Post
    I don't use cracked apps at all. That decision isn't for moral reasons such as starving devs, or poor Apple not getting the money to add to it's massive cash mountain. It's because a cracked app, by nature, has had its code altered. And someone that can alter code probably has the skills to add spyware, brick my device, or any other thing you can think of that will possibly expose sensitive info to who knows who... And saving .99 isn't worth the unknown risks to me.
    +1 Well said.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xerray View Post
    Whatever happened to removing the ability to refuse cracked apps on iOS 5? I recall a while ago, one of the developers had said they were going to enforce that idea but never pulled through I guess
    Stefan Esser floated that idea around a few months ago, but the admin of You-Know-Who said that if that happened, they'd release their own jailbreak without the anti-piracy code, and predicted that their jailbreak would be more popular.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have "that" app installed. Looking thru my SB I've about 100 worth of paid for apps I've first got got via "that" app. I tried them, liked them, bought them.

After getting burned on too many apps that don't live up to their own hype "that" app is now my first port of call.

A proper trail period facility would do away with my need for "that" app.

Another way to overcome this problem is for Apple to enforce accurate descriptions for apps, but let's be honest, they've forgotten how to describe a lot of their own products nowadays so it's to be expected.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ericwall's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It's not Apple's job to offer trial periods. It's the developer's job. The big picture here is that if you need something - know what you want and then buy it. You don't need to pirate for an excuse to get things for free - trying it or not.

I have asked numerous developers in person if I could try something and they were more than happy to let me have a try with it.
    The try-before-you-buy excuse piracy sites have been using has worked so far, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The music industry has failed to beat piracy
    The film industry has failed to beat piracy

Can't see Apple winning where everyone else has failed on this front

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ericwall View Post
    The try-before-you-buy excuse piracy sites have been using has worked so far, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
    It hasn't, "worked" for anything. If you take that excuse into court and you're caught with non-purchased, paid, copyrighted software then you get prosecuted.

The only thing it has, "worked" for so far is not getting caught yet.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-30-2011 at 04:43 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianlg's Avatar
    Thanks

uh.. mod edit: removed (language) apple.
    Last edited by Simon; 12-30-2011 at 05:25 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

I wouldn't say it's real news if you censor out stuff like we're 4. I'm sure most already know the name of it but god forbid it get repeated here. (yes I agree with the article, I'm just pissed because it's like blasphemy to say it on these forums regardless if we use it or not)

Quote Originally Posted by baskie View Post
    I have "that" app installed. Looking thru my SB I've about 100 worth of paid for apps I've first got got via "that" app. I tried them, liked them, bought them.

After getting burned on too many apps that don't live up to their own hype "that" app is now my first port of call.

A proper trail period facility would do away with my need for "that" app.

Another way to overcome this problem is for Apple to enforce accurate descriptions for apps, but let's be honest, they've forgotten how to describe a lot of their own products nowadays so it's to be expected.
    +1
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast