+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's 1984 Ghostbusters Parody Unearthed

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
As it turns out, there was another exceptionally creative commercial devised by Apple in 1984 - the first, of course, being Big Brother-themed ad that remains one of the most
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple's 1984 Ghostbusters Parody Unearthed

As it turns out, there was another exceptionally creative commercial devised by Apple in 1984 - the first, of course, being Big Brother-themed ad that remains one of the most iconic TV commercials in broadcast history.

Apple's stashed documents at Stanford University contains a video that, despite having never been ostensibly hidden from public view, has been viewed by very few people to date. The segment in question was an internal company ad at Apple that presented a once-timely and altogether cheesy spoof of the 1984 classic comedy Ghostbusters.

Called Blue Busters, the parody video paints Apple as the Ghostbusters, who try to suck the "Big Blue" a.k.a. IBM up and liberate the world. Blue Busters was made for a 1984 international sales meeting.
    This little gem is just a small piece of the gargantuan collection at Stanford, which is hailed as the largest assembly of Apple historical materials. "Through this one collection you can trace out the evolution of the personal computer," says Stanford historian Leslie Berlin. "These sorts of documents are as close as you get to the unmediated story of what really happened."

If you haven't yet seen the 'spook'tacularly nerdy video referenced above, check it out below.

Source: Dvice

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    'spook'tacularly nerdy video

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The "blue" is IBM i suppose? Font and color are certainly a match. (i haven't read the text yet, just watching the video).

P.S. If Samsung (read sam-suck) would have come with something like this for it's products rather than "apple sheep are stupid" and "tablet apple tried to stop", i would have not argued. This is entertaining, highly offensive, especially the "freaky blue's" part at the end, but entertaining. Main and most important difference is - this is anti-IBM product ad, it does not make "stupid sheep" of the customers...

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

Should have cast Chevy Chase as the store owner.
    "Time circuits on...flux capacitor...(gulp)...fluxing"
    Please read again I only give one warning - thanks!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    The "blue" is IBM i suppose? Font and color are certainly a match. (i haven't read the text yet, just watching the video).

P.S. If Samsung (read sam-suck) would have come with something like this for it's products rather than "apple sheep are stupid" and "tablet apple tried to stop", i would have not argued. This is entertaining, highly offensive, especially the "freaky blue's" part at the end, but entertaining. Main and most important difference is - this is anti-IBM product ad, it does not make "stupid sheep" of the customers...
    If you know anything about IBM then you should know that their nick-name is "Big Blue."

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post

I don't remember Samsung saying anything of the sort. They never pointed out that anyone that was "stupid" was an "apple sheep". The fact that we all made the connection is what made it so clever...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

idk y but it made me smile seeing woz's face at the end

1:56 - 1:59 correct me if thats not woz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I don't remember Samsung saying anything of the sort. They never pointed out that anyone that was "stupid" was an "apple sheep". The fact that we all made the connection is what made it so clever...
    That's a good point!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,972 Times in 1,579 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djdraco View Post
    Should have cast Chevy Chase as the store owner.
    Hahaaa...👍

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by plcrules View Post
    idk y but it made me smile seeing woz's face at the end

1:56 - 1:59 correct me if thats not woz
    That is, indeed, the almighty and powerful wizard of Woz