+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple TV 4.4.4 Untethered Jailbreak With Seas0npass Released

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Seas0npass is a jailbreak tool for Apple TV's. The Apple TV is a device that is capable of bringing Wi-Fi-streamed content to your television set. Not too many people seem
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple TV 4.4.4 Untethered Jailbreak With Seas0npass Released

Seas0npass is a jailbreak tool for Apple TV's.

The Apple TV is a device that is capable of bringing Wi-Fi-streamed content to your television set. Not too many people seem to understand what it's capable of - it's really misunderstood. The Apple TV lets you stream iCloud content such as music videos, music, or movies on your Apple TV, as well as use applications like Netflix. It's an entertainment system. Apple TV also supports internet sports channel streaming and even lets you use AirPlay to stream content from your iDevices to your TV. It doesn't replace cable or other television services.

Today, a jailbreak tool for the Apple TV known as Seas0npass by FireCore has been updated that adds an untethered jailbreak for the 4.4.4 firmware on the Apple TV. Jailbreaking an Apple TV allows you to run third party applications on it such as NitoTV and XBMC (Xbox Media Center). The possibilities of jailbreaking an Apple TV are technically endless, but the resources are limited. Developers haven't done much to make the Apple TV do a ton of stuff yet. So the reasoning behind jailbreaking your Apple TV is a little weak, but if you want to free your device then go for it. The Seas0npass window is extremely simple to use and looks like this:

The jailbreak is untethered which means that you can reboot the device without needing to use any computer software to reboot the device. The untethered jailbreak comes from the hacker that brought us the iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak for non-A5 devices, pod2g, and was integrated by the Seas0npass developer FireCore. Seas0nPass supports the latest 4.4.4 (iOS 5.0.1 - 9A406a) Apple TV software. You basically create your jailbroken firmware which is made obvious by the, "Create IPSW" button in the window above. There is also a, Boot tethered" button, but you won't need it since this is an untethered jailbreak now.

To perform the jailbreak you will click on the, "Create IPSW" button, select your Apple TV firmware, then a jailbroken firmware will be made. After that, connect your Apple TV to your Mac or your PC using a micro-USB cable. When the light on the front of the Apple TV begins to flash rapidly, point the stock aluminum remote at the AppleTV and hold both the, "Menu" button and the, "Play/Pause" buttons for seven seconds. After you do this, iTunes will open up and restore the Apple TV using the jailbroken firmware that you created - it does this automatically, so there's no reason to do anything yourself. When it finishes, you have an untethered jailbreak on your Apple TV running the 4.4.4 firmware update.

Will you be jailbreaking your Apple TV? Share in the comments.

Seas0npass is available on both Mac (Mac OS X 10.6 and newer) and PC (Windows XP and newer). Here are the links:
    Seas0npass for Mac
    Seas0npass for Windows

Sources: FireCore
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-30-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks

#Winning

Green Apple
    Thanks

can you get bbciplayer, 4od, tvcatchup.com etc on this? (uk)

Thanks

I will definitely be using this. Been patiently waiting for this for a little bit. Didn't want to jailbreak it tethered like i am more than happy to do with my other idevices. Thanks for the heads up Anthony!! Much appreciated.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If I jailbreak over my current 4.4.4 tethered jailbreak, will it restore my atv2? I don't feel like adding xbmc again.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wont be upgrading until plex is working on it. plex is 90% of the use of my atv2.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I love my Apple TV but hadn't really looked into jailbreaking it yet. I'll give a shot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgee_jr View Post
    I wont be upgrading until plex is working on it. plex is 90% of the use of my atv2.
    I got my ATV2 yesterday, downgraded it to 4.3 with some nifty root work, and JBed it yesterday. When I installed PLEX I was only able to view about half of the plug-ins I installed on my computer. Some of the main ones I wanted for my kids - Sesame Street, PBS Kids, Nick Jr., etc. - are accessible on my computer, but not on the ATV2.

Any idea why?

I'm also gonna hold off on the 4.4.4 JB until everything is fully supported. The only benefit to 4.4.4 unless I'm mistaken is iPad2 mirroring.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

How do you guys find out about all these diff jailbreak options for the ATV2? Don't get me wrong I've jailbroken on ATV2 in the past but didn't notice anything compelling to use?

What is PLEX? and where can I find other third party apps for the jailbroken device?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yeeeeaaaahhh!!

Been waiting a while for this! I was about to lug my 27" iMac into th LR to do the feathered JB.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay I updated mine with this and where is Nito TV at? I know it's jailbroken but how do I get the Nito on there so I can install XBMC?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    Okay I updated mine with this and where is Nito TV at? I know it's jailbroken but how do I get the Nito on there so I can install XBMC?
    You need to use ssh to install them.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet, I wonder if it will work with 4.4.3 also since plex wont run on 4.4.4

About 99% here.
    Last edited by JedixJarf; 12-30-2011 at 02:45 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow pod2g is an exploit king! A4 devices, Apple TV, and HOPEFULLY SOON A5 devices. Keep kicking ***** pod2g

Thanks

You need to use ssh to install them.
    Yeah I just found the commands to do so. It would be nice if the main topic had that in there.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    Yeah I just found the commands to do so. It would be nice if the main topic had that in there.
    Ya same here. Here is the link with the command for installing XBMC. Its actually quite easy. Just hook up your Apple Tv 2 to your computer and copy and paste these commands into terminal on your Mac. Also i had to use my apple tv's IP address.

ssh [email protected]S

You will be asked for a password: default password is alpine
    Continue to enter the following commands:
    Issue these commands in your Terminal window, in sequence:

apt-get install wget

wget -O- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add -

echo "deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list

echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list

apt-get update

apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

reboot

HOW-TO:Install XBMC on Apple TV 2 - XBMC
    Last edited by vantheman169; 12-30-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks

I installed Nito TV via SHSH and then installed XBMC from Nito TV. Commands are similar though

Thanks

That went very smooth! Good job! My favorite feature is the media player. streaming all my media from my PC. Its very nice.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

anyone having problems? i get itunes errors after the restore (1600,1602)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just don't see what advantages this gives i guess i need to read up on NitoTV and XBMC. It's great that Apple TV can be jailbroken just seems there isn't much you can do with it once it is.