Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple To Possibly Collect $10 For Every Android Device Sold

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Apple To Possibly Collect $10 For Every Android Device Sold

According to Kevin Rivette, a managing partner at intellectual property firm 3LP Advisors LLC, Apple can possibly collect up to $10 in royalties for every Android device sold, a number which is twice the $5 per unit Microsoft is believed to be collecting for each HTC Android device sold. Rivette made the statement in an interview with Bloomberg recently where he shared his expert opinion.

Jobs previously indicated before he passed away that he had no interest in licensing Apple’s patented technology to Android manufacturers. His biographer Walter Isaacson wrote about Jobs’ belief of Android being a “stolen product,” and indicated he was “willing to go to thermonuclear war” to stop it. This aggressive approach could be detrimental to Apple shareholders according to Rivette who believes that prompting device markers to modify their infringing products and work around Apple’s intellectual property will hurt the industry. Rivette thinks Apple should reach settlements in cases where it can’t win import restrictions against competing devices.

"A scorched-earth strategy is bad news because it doesn't optimize the value of their patents -- because people will get around them," Rivette told Bloomberg. "It's like a dam. Using their patents to keep rivals out is like putting rocks in a stream. The stream is going to find a way around. Wouldn't it be better to direct where the water goes?" Evidence of how Android smartphone markers will be working around Apple’s intellectual property has already come in to play in a few cases already. The U.S. International Trade Commission found that HTC was in violation of an Apple patent related to “Data Detectors,” but only a day later HTC said it was testing new devices that work around Apple’s patent. The ITC’s ruling is not expected to have an immediate impact on either HTC or Apple as a result of HTC’s response.

Similarly, Apple found success with its patented iPhone and iPad designs in Germany, where Samsung opted to redesign its Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet with thicker edges and speakers that accompany the front screen. With the changes, it isn’t expected that Apple will be winning a ban on sales of the Galaxy Tab 10.1N in Germany. As of right now, while Apple has decided to sue, Microsoft has forged licensing agreements with more than half of Android device markers, having contracts in place with Samsung, HTC, Acer, and Viewsonic with pending lawsuits against Motorola Mobility and Barnes & Noble.

What do you think of the whole ordeal? Do you think Apple should license and reap $10 on every Android device sold or continue the patent wars? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Hopefully Mr. Cook will be smart enough to take a ten or so dollar royalty (read: free money regardless of amount, better of course if it's on the software and thus from every ODM. Also better for Apple if it's a larger royalty than MSFT's) on every Android device sold.

Mr. Jobs, were he still alive and well, would not; and such behavior with Microsoft and their GUI on the desktop in the nineties cost him his job plus nearly destroyed his company. Android probably can't be stopped like Mr. Jobs wanted, litigation or otherwise; although, Apple can certainly make a huge chunk of change off of it.
    Last edited by Orby; 12-28-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Apple is the one copying off google. The notification bar and text to speech? Apple is getting down right annoying. I love my iPad and wish Samsung has a larger model than the 16GB 3G model then I'd for sure switch.

Appl£ make more money from patents they shouldn't own wtf

[QUOTE=GrandMstrBud;6348044]Apple is the one copying off google. The notification bar and text to speech? Apple is getting down right annoying. I love my iPad and wish Samsung has a larger model than the 16GB 3G model then I'd for sure switch.[in all reality the galaxy tab is exactly like the iPad, only running android honey comb. My feelings on android are not that great. I think the only cool thing about android is how your able to access your root partitions easily. If your one who knows what to do with them. But the android platform is too twitchy and buggy. And can easily be corrupted. The platform is fog simplistic fun with your fonts, video wallpaper and cheesy type options for the non technical user. But when it comes to a idevice it's a powerhouse of technology. In short stick with your iPad.]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

I trust somebody knows what they are doing...Surely these companies have the best lawyers.
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent929 View Post
    I trust somebody knows what they are doing...Surely these companies have the best lawyers.
    You would think so wouldn't you but I don't think Samsung think that way about there lawyers when they couldn't tell a Samsung galaxy tab from an iPad

LOL, Apple and MS will make more money from Android phones than anyone!

Though from a business perspective it may not be n Apple's interest to allow whatever IP they have to be used in Android and collect royalties, if you consider that for every Android sold an iPhone is unsold, and Apple makes a bit more than $10 from their phones.

I think it's better they get $10 for every droid instead of be fighting about patents. of course this will give ANDROIDS more power to continue copying the iPhone sample: okay let's put a Siri on the Samsung galaxy 3 and we give $10 to apple

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Hopefully Mr. Cook will be smart enough to take a ten or so dollar royalty (read: free money regardless of amount, better of course if it's on the software and thus from every ODM. Also better for Apple if it's a larger royalty than MSFT's) on every Android device sold.

Mr. Jobs, were he still alive and well, would not; and such behavior with Microsoft and their GUI on the desktop in the nineties cost him his job plus nearly destroyed his company. Android probably can't be stopped like Mr. Jobs wanted, litigation or otherwise; although, Apple can certainly make a huge chunk of change off of it.
    dude that's the most mature and well thought out response Ive read so far regarding this topic which Ive read about on about a dozen other websites.

I hated the way Jobs behaved and I was turned off so much that I switched from iOS to Android and have no plans to go back (for the foreseeable future)

Android is NOT a stolen product and even if it was as long as it wasn't stolen from him he shouldn't care. he was a very arrogant and egocentric man and seemed to have no problem overlooking the fact that everything that iOS/iPhone is, was made possible by the invention and innovation of others before him. he didn't have a problem building on the ideas of others and making them better but lo and behold Android comes along and outshines his vision and his response was childish and selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    Apple is the one copying off google. The notification bar and text to speech? Apple is getting down right annoying. I love my iPad and wish Samsung has a larger model than the 16GB 3G model then I'd for sure switch.
    Of course they have a model larger than 16GB, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 also comes in 32GB. but If you really want something special, wait until you see what the iPad 3 will look like compared to the Samsung tablet that will have specs that will blow your mind--including an 11" screen AND still have the same size and weight of the 10.1 !!

Or, you could just go quad core now and get a 32GB Asus Prime which also has an SD slot so you can upgrade your memory as needed instead of having to buy an entire device because you need/want more storage.

Quote Originally Posted by duromega View Post
    I think it's better they get $10 for every droid instead of be fighting about patents. of course this will give ANDROIDS more power to continue copying the iPhone sample: okay let's put a Siri on the Samsung galaxy 3 and we give $10 to apple
    "continue copying the iPhone" you obviously haven't been following these patent lawsuits have you? for every 10 patent claims apple files, they only win 1 or 2. and Siri? who needs Seri--the company that apple bought cause they didn't invent Siri and Android has had Voice control since way back when you were all excited and giddy about the iPhone 3G.
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 12-29-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Here's hoping the Android manufactures use workarounds and don't pay Apple for the patents, that way we get more innovation

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    Here's hoping the Android manufactures use workarounds and don't pay Apple for the patents, that way we get more innovation
    ^Thank you for a non emotional, reasonable reply to the subject

Where I think that tech patents are largely without merit, ownership is what it is. Who copied off whom is high school cheerleader gossip nonsense. What matters is who owns the patent. I like Apple products, but I would LOVE to see Android come up with workaround like stated about. The more innovation the better!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trek-life View Post
    ^Thank you for a non emotional, reasonable reply to the subject

Where I think that tech patents are largely without merit, ownership is what it is. Who copied off whom is high school cheerleader gossip nonsense. What matters is who owns the patent. I like Apple products, but I would LOVE to see Android come up with workaround like stated about. The more innovation the better!
    Perhaps more iterations of innovation could occur with developers focused on improvement of what currently exists instead of dancing around what one of several non-technically literate court systems could possibly deem violating an overly broad (and ancient by tech standards) patent.

Now "who stole what from whom" is not the right question.

Do I think Android, post-Google acquisition, retooled their entire OS from a candybar, trackball-based system to a primarily touch-based model before they unveiled it at Open Handset Alliance, eleven months after the iPhone's announcement? Yep.

Do I think Apple retooled the App Store policies, subscription rules, notification delivery, and the re-use of the volume button for physical shutter control came in no small part due to Android's widespread successes with those things? Yep.

Then again, did Android liberate status-bar notification icons from webOS or PalmOS before that? Did Apple snatch the iPad app-switching gestures from MeeGo and Nokia? These sorts of questions continue ad infinitum.

It shouldn't necessarily be about who does it first, it should be about who does it the best first. Best, of course, being the evanescent beast it is... fear in pursuing it only slows us all down. Inspiration, not imitation. Iteration, not idling.

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    Apple is a bunch of greedy bastards. My sister got a galaxy 10.1 tablet for X-Mas and it's not bad at all. I just wish Samsung would have put a micro SD card in their 3G model or at least made a 32/64 model available. Don't get me wrong I love my iPad 2 when it's jailbroken of course. I have a new 4S and it's just no fun without a jailbreak.

Ya, and iOS is a stolen product from Microsoft and Palm. They had mobile OS phones for years before Apple did. **** Apple!

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Ya, and iOS is a stolen product from Microsoft and Palm. They had mobile OS phones for years before Apple did. **** Apple!
    Let's see. Development of the Apple Newton started in 1988 or 87 and released in 1993. Palm's first device was 1996. Think you have history mixed up a little.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

But, let's not forget that Microsoft would be nowhere where they are today if they didn't steal Apple's OS and brand it as their own and market it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ever heard of the Newton? Where do you think MS & Palm stole there ideas? 1993 vs 1996. Tard.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

reminds me of the episode of Batman where the villan tries to patent the American alphabet...