+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple May Bring Internet Based Content Subscriptions to Connected HDTV

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple May Bring Internet Based Content Subscriptions to Connected HDTV

As MMi reported this morning, it is now a foregone conclusion that Apple television sets will, indeed, arrive in the next year, most likely in the second or third fiscal quarter of 2012. And now we're learning that Apple may bring customized channel lineups to this long-awaited but still mythical connected HDTV.

On Wedmesday, Sterne Agee analyst Shaw Wu shared with investors his belief that Internet-based content subscriptions with customized channel lineups will be unveiled right alongside the Apple TV set - assuming that Apple succeeds in securing the necessary distrubution deals.

"This is obviously much more complicated (than current offerings) from a licensing standpoint," Wu revealed this morning. "And in our view, would change the game for television and give AAPL a big leg-up against the competition."

If you're thinking it sounds like Apple wants to compete with leading national cable operators, that's exactly how it looks and sounds to me as well.

"Today, iTunes has a rich library of movies and TV shows but it is mostly for downloads and only movies are available for rentals (TV shows once were but were terminated in August 2011)," Shaw added. "What's missing is live broadcast television."

Acording to Wu, Apple is widely expected to continue offering its Apple TV set-top box even following the launch of a total package connect HDTV, with initial models probably coming in sizes of 37 and 32.

Source: Barron's

What's Jailbreak? HereToTrollolol's Avatar
    Thanks
    Spelled Wednesday wrong. 

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Only typo error when you type too fast. This is not English class, just to bring us new news everyday.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So if I understand right this means I will not need cable I can just pay for the channels I want. If that's the case the I will jump for joy. Right now I just have Netflix and Hulu plus but I can't get content from discovery or history channel that I so want