+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple TV Sets Due Next Year in 32" and 37" Flavors

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple TV Sets Due Next Year in 32" and 37" Flavors

Apple television sets will arrive in the second or third fiscal quarter of next year according to a report by Digitimes.

The report claims Apple's suppliers are preparing materials for the new television sets that will be available in 37” and 32” sizes. Rumors of an Apple television set have been picking up steam since Steve Job’s comments regarding the possibility surfaced in Steve Job’s biography authored by Walter Isaacson.

Even though all of Apple TV’s current functions and capabilities would be absorbed into the Apple infused television sets, Digitimes claims Apple will continue to sell the Apple TV set-top box as well.

If—and this is a big if—Apple decides to enter the television market this year they will be competing with companies who survive on razor thing profit margins. This is hardly the Apple way. Then again, Apple could be looking to do to network television what the company did to the record industry, the App Store and the publishing industry with Newsstand. Under this large assumption Apple would be willing to eek out small margins on Apple Television sets and recoup the rest via content provided through their televisions via a 30 percent cut like Apps, music, and publishers.

Strong-arming networks, movie studios, and other content providers is an entirely different beast than working with two dying business models (music and print publishing). The studios are incredibly stubborn, and even more dedicated to old outdated business models that rely on old technology. I’ve commented before on the Hell Netflix has had to endure licensing content. Apple’s efforts could very well feel like pulling out Wisdom teeth that keep growing back.

Hopefully they succeed so the Jailbreak community has a new device to hack and tweak till it can do everything we want it to do that Apple won't sanction.
    Source: Digitimes

iPhone? More like MyPhone jwil736's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't wait to see price points. My guess is it'll be outrageously high.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

The price point is going to be insane I bet compared to the market right now of Smart TVs.

Saw a Sony GoogleTV 40 in for 550$ the other day. Also 3D 42in Vizio with smart apps can be found for about 600$. So good luck Apple in this market.

Thanks

That's not big enough.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

I would not even consider buying any tv for my living room under 47". I am just wondering what the benefit of having an apple tv will be? What the resolution will be? I already have an apple TV, so I wonder whats gonna be the selling point of this tv other than it being shiny and new....?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    That's not big enough.
    That's....what....she......

So tempting to finish that, but for the sake of intelligent discussion I concur. Apple needs to hit that sweet spot of 42" minimum to satisfy home theatre enthusiasts.

iPhone? More like MyPhone cockyjeremy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd buy nothing less than a 52 inch. I'd prefer 55 or 60 inch.

Thanks

And they will be insanely expensive. Like refi everything and take out a second mortgage while blowing the kids college fund expensive.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jwil736's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    I would not even consider buying any tv for my living room under 47". I am just wondering what the benefit of having an apple tv will be? What the resolution will be? I already have an apple TV, so I wonder whats gonna be the selling point of this tv other than it being shiny and new....?
    I agree. I think they will be marketing bedroom tvs. Doesn't make sense to build that small. You know apple, they have that hot shot commercial producer and will send the message "if you don't have one, your living in the past". Or something along those lines. Just like iPads and iPhones, they name their price and still can't keep them on the shelves.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    That's....what....she......

So tempting to finish that, but for the sake of intelligent discussion I concur. Apple needs to hit that sweet spot of 42" minimum to satisfy home theatre enthusiasts.
    You could have honored it a little sooner and never started started saying that. :P By the way, using it in response to "that's not big enough" is extremely old and falls limp in humor
    Last edited by Zokunei; 12-27-2011 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    The price point is going to be insane I bet compared to the market right now of Smart TVs.

Saw a Sony GoogleTV 40 in for 550$ the other day. Also 3D 42in Vizio with smart apps can be found for about 600$. So good luck Apple in this market.
    The app store has nothing on "vizio smart apps".

Quote Originally Posted by cockyjeremy View Post
    I'd buy nothing less than a 52 inch. I'd prefer 55 or 60 inch.
    Yeah kinda hard to go back down from a bigger TV, still curious what they got planned. I kinda have a feeling that they are going to be releasing a ATV3 along with these two TVs.
    Last edited by Norb; 12-27-2011 at 11:57 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This is just another ******** rumor since the guy that runs this site had nothing else to post. Do you really think Apple is dumb enough to entire a market where 42 and 50 inch TV's dominate with a 32 and a 37 ?

vbx
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I certainly hope this new TV can do a *lot* more than what the Apple TV set-top box does. And even then, I don't think I'll buy this TV as it's too small, even for the bedroom. I enjoy excellent picture quality, and I'm guessing at these sizes, that's not the biggest concern.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Lol @ the idiots that think this will be insanely expensive...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redstar299 View Post
    This is just another ******** rumor since the guy that runs this site had nothing else to post. Do you really think Apple is dumb enough to entire a market where 42 and 50 inch TV's dominate with a 32 and a 37 ?
    Yes?
    I'm fairly sure this would be a pilot study. Bigger television sets hold high production costs and therefore would be a waste of investment if the product flops. But I for one would rather a 32" to 42" in my bedroom because a 42" would be far too big anyway; like previously mentioned, seems like they are targeting a teenage/young adult/student demographic who spend a great deal of time in their somewhat small bedrooms.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of innovation Apple could introduce to the consumer television market and will definitely be waiting before buying a new television :P

Thanks

This is a market apple can't price too high curse people will just by another tv and add the apple tv box to it! But apple can make their money from the sales! Cause unlike Netflix apple already have a very big customer base and the studios need money so they will come on board at least in the uk they will! Most providers in the uk are actively moving to online via ps3, Xbox 360's and normal Internet

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redstar299 View Post
    I think you mean... enter a market. If your going to insult someone please do it with proper grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
    Lol @ the idiots that think this will be insanely expensive...
    Have you seen the inflation of apple tax lately?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    I think you mean... enter a market. If your going to insult someone please do it with proper grammar.
    That is, "If you're going to insult someone, please do it with proper grammar." :P

Thanks

I'm thinking more like a 46" iPad + tuner + 2 HDMI inputs.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    That is, "If you're going to insult someone, please do it with proper grammar." :P
    I wasn't doing the bashing

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    I'm thinking more like a 46" iPad + tuner + 2 HDMI inputs.
    Knowing Apple they would only put 2 hdmi inputs on it. lol.