Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Thunderbolt Coming to PCs This Spring Resulting in More Thunderbolt Accessories

Default Thunderbolt Coming to PCs This Spring Resulting in More Thunderbolt Accessories

The always-interesting Digitimes is claiming Intel and Apple’s I/O lovechild Thunderbolt will finally make its way to PCs this Spring.

According to the report Intel will “fully release” its Thunderbolt interface in April of 2012. Intel is currently prepping Thunderbolt compatible motherboards, laptops, and desktop PCs in lieu of the launch.

Apple’s Thunderbolt integration is relatively common across their Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iMac and Mac Mini lines, but limiting the I/O interface to only Mac products has created a verifiable shortage of third-party devices that take advantage of the technology. Also, the ones that do like Lacie’s Little Big Disk come at a premium.

However, the proliferation of Thunderbolt throughout the computing world, as well as dropping component prices in 2012 according to Digitimes, will help increase the number of third-party products that actually use the tech and decrease the price of these products as well. Hopefully competition between Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 finally brings about the next generation of high speed I/O interfaces many video editing, and power users have been waiting for.

Source: Digitimes [via MacRumors]

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

It's about time! I'm terribly disappointed in the limited selection of peripherals for it and their sickeningly high prices.

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    It's about time! I'm terribly disappointed in the limited selection of peripherals for it and their sickeningly high prices.
    I agree, as a video editing professional I was crazy excited about the possibility of transferring, editing, and storing video on insanely fast external drives...but so far the selection is too limited and the prices too high to justify the bump in performance.

Cool, I'm a Mac user but I would like to build my own PC someday.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Good. PC's need this if they're going to compete with Macs

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Banned
    Thanks

??? Where did you get this from?
    I was in the computer shop today and they have thunderbolt motherboards already so this is nothing new? Maybe to macs but its already out for PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    in lieu of the launch.
    I do not think that means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    I do not think that means what you think it means.
    lol. It very seldom does.

dz