+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Launches iTunes Match Website Complete With FAQ, Video Walkthrough, And More

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple launched their iTunes Match service late last month in the U.S. and recently launched the service in 17 other countries, but a slew of questions and launch problems (mainly
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Launches iTunes Match Website Complete With FAQ, Video Walkthrough, And More

Apple launched their iTunes Match service late last month in the U.S. and recently launched the service in 17 other countries, but a slew of questions and launch problems (mainly huge demand) created a certain level of uncertainty in users. Apple launched a dedicated iTunes Match site to help alleviate this uncertainty and answer common questions.

The iTunes Match website includes pricing information, an explanation of how the service works, a quick start guide, walkthrough video, and the following FAQ:

Who can use iTunes Match?
    Anyone with an Apple ID in the U.S and select other countries can use iTunes Match. You also need iTunes 10.5.1 or later on your Mac or PC and iOS 5.0.1 or later on your iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), or iPad.

Which music formats can iTunes Match handle?
    You can match or upload music formats that can be played with iTunes. That includes AAC, MP3, WAV, AIFF, Apple Lossless, and more.

How many devices can iTunes Match support?
    iTunes Match supports up to 10 devices — including your computer, iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and Apple TV.

Will my playlists sync across devices?
    Yes. When you create, edit, or delete a playlist on your Mac, PC, iPhone, or iPad, those changes will sync across any iTunes Match-enabled device you own. However, playlists with videos, voice memos, or PDF files will not sync.

Does iTunes Match stream or download songs?
    On a computer, any songs stored in iCloud will stream over the air when played, though you can download them at any time by clicking the iCloud download button. iOS devices will start playing tracks from iCloud as they download and will store them so that you can listen to them later even if you don’t have a network connection. Apple TV only streams songs.

Will iTunes Match songs download over 3G on my iOS device?
    Yes. Go to Settings > Store on your device. Turn on Use Cellular Data. If you’d rather download over Wi-Fi, turn it off.

What if I add new music to my library? Do I need to tell iTunes Match to scan it?
    No. iTunes Match will automatically rescan for content, so you don’t have to. Although you can force a refresh by choosing Store > Update iTunes Match in iTunes.

What happens if I don’t resubscribe after the first year? Will I lose any upgraded songs?
    No. Any songs you’ve upgraded or downloaded again are completely safe. The only thing you lose is the central storage — iCloud will no longer stream or download matched or uploaded songs to your devices.

How do I turn iTunes Match on?
    On a Mac or PC, open iTunes and choose Store >Turn On iTunes Match. Then turn on your iOS devices, tap Settings > Music > Turn On iTunes Match. To turn on iTunes Match on Apple TV, go to Music > iCloud Library.

Does the Apple ID I use for iTunes Match have to be an iCloud account?
    No. If you’ve been using a separate Apple ID for purchases, that Apple ID will also work for iTunes Match. You should use the Apple ID that is associated with the majority of your music purchases.
    Honestly a dedicated iTunes Match page would have been nice from the start, but FAQs by their nature can’t be put together until after the launch of a product or service. Hopefully the FAQ above, and the rest of dedicated site do a better job of informing consumers about iTunes Match and the service’s capabilities.

Sources: Apple [via 9to5Mac]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I signed up for match today and hATED it. I was on apple support by telephone for about an hour and 30min to get a refund. They had to talk to like 10 ppl and departments to figure out if it was possible. At one point they were like tell him im sry he must use the service and there is no refund.. Boy dis i get mad at that point. Oh well. Good luck to anyone who gets it, i didnt like it

iPhone? More like MyPhone bootleg's Avatar
    Thanks

personally i believe in personal storage and time machine. i have never liked streaming or downloading anything due to data usage when not on wi-fi, time to download or stream. i like plain old storage! i prefer to travel with my playlists in tunes on my 64gb 4S or my macbook air. as a matter of fact i'm not moving to iCloud until my .mac account expires in the summer of 2012 and only then because i'll have no choice.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

Who care? i store all my musics on a 500gb external hard drive. And it doesn't cost monthly R pay for the music i already have?

Thanks

There goes their theory of Apple products not needing instructions.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's not that complicated of a service... there are clouds next to songs that aren't present on the device and no cloud if it is already located on the device. And you can delete songs to put them back in the cloud to clear storage.

Overall, I'm very happy with the service, but then again, I'm not a person that needs a user manual with my mac, iPhone, nor Apple TV.

But I do consistently get people that reference that their music, photos and everything else are in Apple's "cloud". It's good that Apple is clarifying exactly what itunes match is doing.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

The only thing I dislike is that iTunes Match can only match about 25% of my music and I dont know why. I can clearly see the music it cant match on iTunes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How does this compare to Google Music? With Music I can store up to 20'000 songs for free and I can play them on any device including the iCrap...I mean iPhone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

How do they prevent piracy? Say you create an mp3 with just static and name it the song you want and then get the "Higher quality" (real) song from the cloud?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zakspop View Post
    How do they prevent piracy? Say you create an mp3 with just static and name it the song you want and then get the "Higher quality" (real) song from the cloud?
    That's the whole point of the "match" portion of iTunes match. They scan the music and match the song that you have with the song that they have, presumably using some sort of waveform analysis (just a guess). But it definitely isn't just using the song title. If it can't find a match for your song (which would definitely be the case if it were just static), then it uploads a copy to their servers so if you tried deleting your local version and downloading the server version, you would just be re-downloading the static that was uploaded.

For what it's worth, I've been using iTunes Match since beta days and I really love it. Luckily, I'm grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data so I don't have to worry about bandwidth. I feel like $25 a year is a pretty reasonable amount for the service that you get.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    Who care? i store all my musics on a 500gb external hard drive. And it doesn't cost monthly R pay for the music i already have?
    ditto except for the 500gb hard drive

Thanks

I like the iTunes match service been using it a few days now!! And I find 22 a year is cheap insurance for my music collection and yes I also back my music up to hard drive on my network but u never know when it might fail!

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Dam there's a lot of hate in here :-/

ITunes match is the best 22 I've EVER spent!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Been using it for a bit now, and a great way to eliminate all the DRM from my collection. Much cheaper than upgrading my tunes.

Not to impressed with the service beyond that. Forcing everything to load is painful every time you get to a wifi spot. It doesn't support playlists built on playlists, and drops a lot of others because they have videos in them.
    Ziger.