+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Apple's App Store Worth More Than Research in Motion as a Whole

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple's App Store Worth More Than Rearch in Motion as a Whole

With a price of $13.44, RIM’s stock finished last week at a total value of $7.04 billion, a value less than the $7.08 billion that Apple’s App Store is estimated to be worth. An analysis from Trefis places the value of the App Store at 2% of Apple’s market cap. Currently, Apple (AAPL) stock has a market cap of $354 billion, or more than 50 times greater than that of RIM (RIMM). "The App Store is probably worth more than BlackBerry," Hall wrote. "All of BlackBerry. Just the App Store. Nothing else. Not the iPhone or iPod. Not Mac. Just the App Store."

As we all know, RIM’s stock has plummeted since the company announced that BlackBerry shipments saw a slight decline year over year while the company managed to ship just 150,000 PlayBook tablets last quarter. At the same time, the iPad is likely to beat RIM’s BlackBerry in total sales, with RIM guiding shipments of between 11 million and 12 million BlackBerry units next quarter, while Apple sold more than 11 million iPads last quarter. The BlackBerry maker also announced its forthcoming next-generation smartphone operating system, the BlackBerry 10, which has been delayed until the second half of 2012. This leaves many wondering whether the new platform will be too little and too late compared to other high-end smartphone offerings in the market at the time.

As far as Apple’s iOS App Store goes, it has been a key component in the company’s continued success for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. A recent report indicated that iOS applications brings in 300% more revenue than their Android counterparts. Furthermore, Apple’s iTunes Store and App Store reportedly cost as much as $1.3 billion a year to operate and developers have received upwards of $2.5 billion in payments as a result of the App Store.

What do you think of the statistics? Were you one of the many who switched from a BlackBerry device to an Apple one? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Brian S. Hall

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

RIM is still alive because of Latin America, ask me why

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

*Research In Motion?

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toner_45 View Post
    *Research In Motion?
    I thought maybe rearch is the new style name

Thanks

Some of my friends told me they use blackberry because "it has a more secured network" which i think is absolutely untrue.

Thanks

Just think of that figure for one moment ... 354 billion ... Economy is a bit top heavy.. We might run out of money in the lower to middle class lol but really .. Think about it

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moniker View Post
    Some of my friends told me they use blackberry because "it has a more secured network" which i think is absolutely untrue.
    Every app that uses some sort of communication system has to go through RIM's own servers where as on iOS it doesn't. It's straight to iPhone to iPhone or the app developers own server.

Gotta love App Store, BB's are horrible. My sis has a Bold and after using my iPhones even she hates her BB now.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duromega View Post
    RIM is still alive because of Latin America, ask me why
    why

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Every app that uses some sort of communication system has to go through RIM's own servers where as on iOS it doesn't. It's straight to iPhone to iPhone or the app developers own server.

Gotta love App Store, BB's are horrible. My sis has a Bold and after using my iPhones even she hates her BB now.
    Bright red? Cause that's not the least bit obnoxious. And Blackberry's devices are widely considered more secure than iOS.
    Last edited by politicalslug; 12-20-2011 at 07:10 PM.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.