+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung's A5 Chip Production in Texas in Full Swing

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung's A5 Chip Production in Texas in Full Swing

The folks over at Reuters are reporting that Apple’s South Korean component supplier (Samsung) has reached full production at its 1.6 million square-foot factory earlier this month. Although Samsung reportedly began producing A5 processors at the plant earlier in the year, the company only recently reached full capacity.

According to the publication, “nearly all of the output of the non-memory chip production from the factory…is dedicated to producing Apple chips.” The company already produced NAND Flash memory chips at the facility and the reports are claiming the new production line costs $3.6 billion to build, while the company’s total investment in Texas amounts to roughly $9 billion. The only other non-memory logic chip factory Samsung has is located in South Korea. Furthermore, a Samsung spokeswoman told Reuters that 1,100 jobs have been added for the new production line, in an effort to keep up with production.

Apple introduced the A5 chip with the iPad 2 in March and eventually added it to its iPhone line with the release of the iPhone 4S in October. The chip reportedly costs $25 to build, though volume production is believed to have brought the price down to around $15, roughly in line with prices of some of its competing chips. We’ll have to see how long Apple continues to deal with Samsung as the relationship between the two continues to sour on a weekly basis. Though Apple is set to become Samsung’s biggest component customer this year, the two also seemed to be locked in many legal battles with one another over patents related to smartphones and tablets. Apple has reportedly signed deals for the next generation processor (presumably the A6), which is believed to be a quad-core model, with both Samsung and the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co, so it may very well be that the two will continue to work together despite everything else that seems to be going on.

Source: Reuters

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Quad core in a mobile divide I would never have imagined such wonders back when I had my first mobile (Motorola graphite) 😳

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manickbarry View Post
    Quad core in a mobile divide I would never have imagined such wonders back when I had my first mobile (Motorola graphite) 
    I remember the cover of PC Magazine when they asked "Will CPUs ever reach 500mhz" this was for desktops, hard to believe my phone is several times more powerful than the PC I had at that time.

I love how fast technology advances, and the money we have to spend to keep up., lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm glad they started producing these chips in America, to create a few more jobs for out of place workers. I'm also not too sure that the cell phone patent side of things will effect the production side of things. Samsung and Apple, as a whole, is compartmentalized and divided into sub groups. Each one does their own thing and minds their own business for the better of the whole. It's a holistic approach you see often in business, industry, and the medical field.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    I remember the cover of PC Magazine when they asked "Will CPUs ever reach 500mhz" this was for desktops, hard to believe my phone is several times more powerful than the PC I had at that time.

I love how fast technology advances, and the money we have to spend to keep up., lol.
    Lol exactly

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    I'm glad they started producing these chips in America, to create a few more jobs for out of place workers.
    +1

Thanks

Default Made in USA one step closer!
    Quote Originally Posted by manickbarry View Post
    Lol exactly
    Yeah this is a good thing