+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Opens Messenger to XMPP Allowing Apple to Incorporate It

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Microsoft Opens Messenger to XMPP Allowing Apple to Incorporate It

In a recent “Inside Windows Live” blog post, Microsoft has announced “public availability of access to the Messenger network via XMPP,” a step that finally brings Microsoft into the fold using eXtensible Messaging and Presence Protocol. For those of you who didn’t know, unlike email which has used internet standards to exchange messages between servers, instant message providers each created their own proprietary protocol for sending IMs, making it difficult or impossible for users on AIM, Yahoo, Microsoft Windows Live Messenger, and other IM services to connect with one another.

Apple initially partnered with AIM to launch iChat in 2002, but by 2004, the company had introduced a new iChat 3 version, which supports XMPP, allowing users to seamlessly connect with Google Talk. In this summer’s release of Mac OS X Lion, Apple added support for Yahoo IM, enabling the chat client to connect to the three different chat networks (AIM, Yahoo, and open Jabber/XMPP servers such as Google Talk, Facebook chat, and Apple’s own iChat server). The one service that was absent here was Microsoft’s Windows Live network, which is extremely popular in certain areas such as Europe.

The company’s move to support the open XMPP may explain why Apple didn’t originally build in support for Microsoft’s proprietary Messenger network previously. Now that Microsoft Messenger enables open XMPP access, iChat users should be able to add Messenger accounts and directly interact with Messenger users without needing to configure a gateway, use a multi-protocol chat client, or use Microsoft’s own chat application.

Apple appears to be working on adding direct IM support to iOS devices through its Messages app. That company has already released direct iPhone to iPad to iPod Touch support for iMessage, which automatically connects via XMPP when detecting a connection with an iOS client. With Microsoft adding a large number of Messenger users to the open XMPP world, Apple could very well be capable of supporting direct chat functionality with Messenger, Facebook, and Google Talk users to its iOS Messages app, seamlessly as it has added iMessage support alongside SMS/MMS.

Would something like this be a feature you’d like to see on your iOS device? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Inside Windows Live (blog)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

anything that gets rid of non-free texting is good

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/10/te...pagewanted=all

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

I would love this. I currently us BeejiveIM, and would love to have native chatting capabilities.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sweet! It's always good to see MS adopting open standards.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Obviously MS is trying to play friendly across systems to promote Win phone. Interesting. As a major competitor, it's understandable why they have not released much for iOS in the past, cuz Apple gets a cut. But this past week has been very interesting. Looking forward to see what else they attempt.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Google needs to give us GTalk. I can dream, right? I mean MS is dong it...

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Google needs to give us GTalk. I can dream, right? I mean MS is dong it...
    Do you mean that GTalk should be open via XMPP? It has been for a long time. It is actually configured to allow open federation, so if you host your own XMPP server in your home (OpenFire or iChat Server for example) you can link the two servers (federate them) and then users on your server can IM GTalk users, and vice versa. I've done it in the past just to play around, and it worked rather well. Gtalk users were able to add my users from my own hosted server to their buddy list, and chat with them.
    -FBIRyuJin

Thanks

Now we just need Skype to join the party!