+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Exploits Apple Lawsuits in Savvy Marketing Strategy

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by sziklassy So, serious question now. Is "childish marketing" an actual term used in business and defined in the way you just defined it here for us, or
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    So, serious question now. Is "childish marketing" an actual term used in business and defined in the way you just defined it here for us, or is this just some term (and definition) that you made up?
    I don't think we're required to limit ourselves to official business terms on this site.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    So, serious question now. Is "childish marketing" an actual term used in business and defined in the way you just defined it here for us, or is this just some term (and definition) that you made up?
    A term "jokingly" used among music marketing peers when referring to marketing an album or song by bashing another. When working certain artist campaigns (hip-hop) mainly, the term and strategy was used to bring about a comparison in the eyes of the consumer.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    That doesn't seem like very good marketing. There's nothing about that ad that makes me want to buy it.
    The obvious question I would ask you before anything else is if you had $600 to burn on a tablet, all advertising/knowledge about controversy aside, would you buy an iPad or a Galaxy Tab?

Thanks

karma bit apple, didn't it?

I find this a very annoying ad, but it makes sense. Still not buying it though...an iPad is better, and the guys at samsung can believe what they want.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You are all talking about the Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Therefore their advertising has worked well to get people talking about their product..

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

Money is also made with the screens. So what you're saying is, "They should stop making money then see how Apple feels about that."
    LOL! That stihs funny

iPhone? More like MyPhone dykzebr's Avatar
    Thanks

This is hilarious, i can't wait to see the commercial, as much as I love my iPhone, Apple is killing itself slowly with these ridiculous accusations and trying to patent the generic shape of the tablet and so forth... Im with Samsung on this one.
    Extremly Happy Verizon iPhone User...

iPhone 4 32gb CDMA JailBROKE!

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

the point of this advertisement is to get people talking about it, debating about it, it's clearly worked, very well I must say. even though I would never buy the galaxy tab I think they've done a very good job here

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

The target audience doesn't get anything new from this ad though. That is, if what you're saying is the target audience is people who already know Apple tried to stop this tablet?
    In an ad sections with probably a myriad of "tablets", a key differentiator of being known as the "tablet Apple tried to stop" is a huge win for Samsung.

Forget the reason behind the lawsuits and the specs and what-not and see exactly what they are trying to do: get their name out there.

Now, if I see 20 tablets that all look the same, and I see one that says what this ad said: I'm stopping to take a look. And that, essentially, is what Samsung is trying to do and succeeding with all this press.

Politicians do the same thing when they market themselves, the undecided voter (which essentially Samsung is trying to snare, the undecided buyer) will vote for a person in the ballot box solely on the basis of name recognition. Ask a congressman who won about a decade or so ago without spending a dime, he won because his name was John Adams.

So all in all, someone at Samsung got a raise.
    #eli7e revived me

Thanks

Samsungs full ad slogan actually was, "If you can't innovate... Imitate. The tablet Apple tried to stop." but the cost per word was too high. ;-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    The obvious question I would ask you before anything else is if you had $600 to burn on a tablet, all advertising/knowledge about controversy aside, would you buy an iPad or a Galaxy Tab?
    iPad look at samsungs 1st galaxy tab highest ever returns for a single product!! And why cause people where just disappointed

Green Apple
    Thanks

I see it as...
    The market for tablets is hot and it is Christmas
    There are a lot of people with tablet money in their pockets
    Now Apple is the Cadillac of tablets, this is a fact (you never see an article or commercial about Xoom vs Galaxy tab as killer tablets)
    These uninformed walking piggy banks are going to be dazzled by something, Samsung is playing the smoke, mirrors and confusion ploy. Show commercials of waiting in long lines, and saying "Apple tried to stop our pad". Now those are powerful "images" and non-techy people might just need that to sway them to buy.
    Tablet buyers are most likely not going to say "oh geez, I feel this tablet is not what it's cracked up to be, let me buy another and confirm this theory"
    Samsung is punching Apple in the balls

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think we're required to limit ourselves to official business terms on this site.
    We certainly are not. But he starts going into how there is nothing wrong with "childish marketting" yada, yada. What makes this "childish". Slamming the competition has always been THE WAY to get ahead...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cockyjeremy View Post
    "The tablet Apple tried to stop.. because we stole their ideas." Nice marketing.
    That's cool, just like apple "invented" the slide down notification system. Please get the paper bag off your head

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know if there's any truth to it, but my mate said he had a htc in around 2006/7 (before first iPhone) and that had a slide to unlock thing, and just recently apple patented it. I think the way to become the most successful device manufacturer is to patent as much crap as you can and sue anyone else who maybe slightly infringes on them

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I think Samsung don't need this ad..their product already good enough..no need to compare with iPad..both got own speciality,pro and con..that's all
    Last edited by Mr.amin; 12-16-2011 at 03:02 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cockyjeremy View Post
    "The tablet Apple tried to stop.. because we stole their ideas." Nice marketing.
    stole what ideas? tablets have been around way before Samsung or Apple made them. and Samsung sold its first tablet in 2006, apple didnt sell one until 2010.

so please tell us who stole what and from whom?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    Samsungs full ad slogan actually was, "If you can't innovate... Imitate. The tablet Apple tried to stop." but the cost per word was too high. ;-)
    That was dumb

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    That was dumb
    Calm down Captain Serious.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OctopusPrime View Post
    GmAz is right - the point of marketing is to appeal to a broader audience. Zokunei also has a valid point, although he, along with the majority of others who frequent this Apple fan site, are not the intended marketing target.

I, on the other hand, love Android as much as I do IOS. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. In our household, there are 4 IOS devices and 2 Android devices. That said, I think this particular marketing strategy is brilliant. In fact, I am now considering purchasing the Galaxy Tab since I can get it and the Galaxy SII Skyrocket for ~$600
    +1 for this post!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12