+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Philanthropy Talk Nixed by Steve Jobs in Isaacson Interviews

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Although the world still remains largely in awe of just how candid Apple CEO Steve Jobs was in his interviews with biographer Walter Isaacson, there were, indeed, ground rules and
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Philanthropy Talk Nixed by Steve Jobs in Isaacson Interviews

Although the world still remains largely in awe of just how candid Apple CEO Steve Jobs was in his interviews with biographer Walter Isaacson, there were, indeed, ground rules and off-limit topics.

According to details presented by Issacson during a recent speech, Jobs refused to talk philanthropy and how his enormous wealth would be used after his passing. Jobs, as we know, received no shortage of criticism for refusing to participate in "The Giving Pledge" campaign launched by his fellow mogul friends Bill Gates and Warren Buffett. The campaign seeks to have the wealthiest men and women in the world leave their wealth to philanthropic organizations and causes upon their death.

Isaacson admitted that not only did Jobs "ignore a personal phone message from Bill Gates" imploring the Apple icon to give up his riches to The Giving Pledge, he also took a shot at his longtime tech rival: "Bill Gates was better at philanthropy because he didn't care about making great products."

Already the best-selling book of 2011, there are apparently plans in the works to expand the 630-page book in the future. "One possibility is doing an extensively annotated version," Fortune reports. "Another is writing an addendum that addresses the period surrounding Jobs' death."

"This is the first or second draft," Isaacson revealed. "It's not the final draft."

Source: Fortune

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's his money he should spend it however he wants, but that comment on Bill Gates was a bit uncalled for.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

evil to hoard money like that ...at the very least give a little to some charity or in some way give back...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not really uncalled for when it's true. When has any version of Windows actually just worked well? When has there not been a remotely exploitable bug? Which then allows a new virus to spread like wildfire and MS can never seem to patch it before it's already infected thousands to millions of PC's??? Not to say OS X is perfect but the two products can't even be compared when it comes to security, and even usability or ease of use OS X is a superior product hands down. And just look at a Windows CE device and the comparable Apple product would be the Newton which came out first and was still a better product than most CE devices ever made. Then compare the Windows Mobile devices to any iPhone and we all can see which was the better device even if MS only made the OS it was still bulky and version fragmented across handsets not unlike Android. Ever tried to install the newest OS version on a CE or Win Mobile device odds are you can't because older devices weren't supported which is a problem Apple doesn't have. Every device could run the latest OS until it was at least 2 revisions old, something a Win CE or Mobile device can't say.
    But after all that if you think his comment was mean or harsh then it was as reality is harsh and the truth usually hurts.

Thanks

Jobs is pissed his net worth was never greater than Gates.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

In some ways, Jobs did give back to the community by literally changing the technology world, which in turn changed the way we function as human beings, making our lives simpler and more convenient.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You guys should read the book. I'm sure he probably will give a lot of money to a charity or something and just not want any credit or any big deal made. Steve Jobs was a billionare but lived simple and didnt really do anthing for money like micro$oft.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Plus he earned that money by making superior products and if he wanted to be a miser like Scrooge then that's his right. If he chose to keep his money and not use charity as a tax break that's his choice to be "greedy" and pay more taxes. Most wealthy people don't really care about charity other than using their donations as a way to pay less taxes anyway so who can say what their true motivation to be charitable really is???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zrevai View Post
    Plus he earned that money by making superior products and if he wanted to be a miser like Scrooge then that's his right. If he chose to keep his money and not use charity as a tax break that's his choice to be "greedy" and pay more taxes. Most wealthy people don't really care about charity other than using their donations as a way to pay less taxes anyway so who can say what their true motivation to be charitable really is???
    I didn't know dead people paid taxes. Thanks for informing me.
    Last edited by punjabi212; 12-15-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by epikarus View Post
    It's his money he should spend it however he wants, but that comment on Bill Gates was a bit uncalled for.
    A line from kid rocks ain't got mine song comes to mind....

"you get what you put in and people get what they deserve".

And Bill and Warren are still living very fruitful lives....oh the irony.

......and before the fan army comes after me, here's another line that can come in your defense...
    "only the good die young". hehe
    Last edited by Darkflame; 12-15-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by epikarus View Post
    "...uncalled for."? Really? You think Microsoft products ever were, or are for that matter, products of quality? People became so accustomed to unstable windows platforms, lockups, inconsistent "look and feel", to name just a few, that it became the norm.

MS products were successful as a (relative) first mover, though stolen. Then they held the market as a monopoly.

No, his comments were not only called for, but right on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
    Jobs is pissed his net worth was never greater than Gates.
    Yes of course. Thank you for your insight. Before you go, could you share what Christmas was like at the Jobs home?
    Last edited by GeoffS4; 12-15-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks

Not really uncalled for when it's true. When has any version of Windows actually just worked well? When has there not been a remotely exploitable bug? Which then allows a new virus to spread like wildfire and MS can never seem to patch it before it's already infected thousands to millions of PC's??? Not to say OS X is perfect but the two products can't even be compared when it comes to security, and even usability or ease of use OS X is a superior product hands down. And just look at a Windows CE device and the comparable Apple product would be the Newton which came out first and was still a better product than most CE devices ever made. Then compare the Windows Mobile devices to any iPhone and we all can see which was the better device even if MS only made the OS it was still bulky and version fragmented across handsets not unlike Android. Ever tried to install the newest OS version on a CE or Win Mobile device odds are you can't because older devices weren't supported which is a problem Apple doesn't have. Every device could run the latest OS until it was at least 2 revisions old, something a Win CE or Mobile device can't say.
    But after all that if you think his comment was mean or harsh then it was as reality is harsh and the truth usually hurts.

Trolololololol

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffS4 View Post
    "...uncalled for."? Really? You think Microsoft products ever were, or are for that matter, products of quality? People became so accustomed to unstable windows platforms, lockups, inconsistent "look and feel", to name just a few, that it became the norm.

MS products were successful as a (relative) first mover, though stolen. Then they held the market as a monopoly.

No, his comments were not only called for, but right on the money.

Yes of course. Thank you for your insight. Before you go, could you share what Christmas was like at the Jobs home?
    Don't even get me started on how much Apple stole from Xerox. Don't get me started about how unstable OSX Operating systems are.

Funny story, the first time I used a Mac (a Mac purchased by a shortsighted moment of weakness on the part of my dad) I had it freeze and crash on me an hour out of the box, brand new. The timing was perfect too. I was checking the Network, and OSX had found some of my Windows machines, and displayed them as CRT Monitors with blue screens. When I saw this, OSX crashed and we got a refund. I managed to convince my dad to go with Windows 7, and the thing is still going strong.

Anyway, back on topic:

Steve Jobs can kiss my *** from hell. I already had ZERO respect for this guy, and I do believe that counter has sunk to the negatives. I hope the occupy protestors harass whatever family member got that money, right to the grave.

Occupy Protestors...if you are reading this...I will PAY to have you guys dropped right on Cupertino's doorsteps. Go west Occupy...go west. Whatever greedy family member(s) have Steve Jobs' money...they are now the 1% That is wealth I would love to see redistributed. I want to see everything that has Steve Jobs disgusting name attached to it, go down in flames for this.

You have a guy like Bill Gates, pleading with this greedy sack of crap, asking him, man to man, to turn over his wealth to those in need when he dies, and Steve Jobs snubs his noes, as if he is disgusted by the poor and those in need. Then he has the nerve to attack Bill Gates, and the source of his generosity (his products). I hope your death was a slow one Steve Jobs...you selfish SOB...you deserved every last moment of it.

If I have said it before, I WILL say it again, with pride. The world is a better place without the greed of Steve Jobs clouding it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Please say that again once Mac OS has a larger market share than Windows. Once it gets more widely used, I guarantee you there will be malware for it. As of August, Windows still have 87% of the market share in PCs vs 6% of Mac OS. If you were someone making a virus, do you make it for the 87% or the 6%? And are you kidding me about the exploitable bugs? You do realize that the ENTIRE WORLD of jailbreaking is based on bug exploits in Apple's software right? I love Steve Jobs, but his views on philanthropy is definitely questionable.

Thanks

It does suck a little that he decided to go that route but no one is entitled to give their wealth away after death. It doesn't matter what he gives back to the community after he dies, what matters is what he gave back to the community while he was alive. Let's face it, regardless of who came up with what, or who's software is better, the fact is no one on this board would be able to be doing what you are doing right now if it wasn't for him. He made the world what it is today with his innovations in technology. That alone is the biggest contribution. Money will run out, great ideas live on.

Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    Don't even get me started on how much Apple stole from Xerox. Don't get me started about how unstable OSX Operating systems are.
    "dont get me started" Then he goes on for 4 paragraphs lol.

Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post

Steve Jobs can kiss my *** from hell. I already had ZERO respect for this guy, and I do believe that counter has sunk to the negatives. I hope the occupy protestors harass whatever family member got that money, right to the grave.

Occupy Protestors...if you are reading this...I will PAY to have you guys dropped right on Cupertino's doorsteps. Go west Occupy...go west. Whatever greedy family member(s) have Steve Jobs' money...they are now the 1% That is wealth I would love to see redistributed. I want to see everything that has Steve Jobs disgusting name attached to it, go down in flames for this.

You have a guy like Bill Gates, pleading with this greedy sack of crap, asking him, man to man, to turn over his wealth to those in need when he dies, and Steve Jobs snubs his noes, as if he is disgusted by the poor and those in need. Then he has the nerve to attack Bill Gates, and the source of his generosity (his products). I hope your death was a slow one Steve Jobs...you selfish SOB...you deserved every last moment of it.

If I have said it before, I WILL say it again, with pride. The world is a better place without the greed of Steve Jobs clouding it.
    Lol wow that's a lot of hate coming from someone who says someone ELSE should burn in hell. Too bad a century from now people will still remember who he was and what he did but you however will be long forgotten.

That good sir is what we Internet people call "PWNED"
    Last edited by iDeadman; 12-15-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow, I can't believe how shallow you guys are. "Steve Jobs is great cause he sold me a great phone. Bill Gates is crap cause he cares more about people then computers." Thats exactly how you guys sound like. I use Windows 7 and I rarely have any problems, no more problems then my girlfriend who uses a Macbook. Maybe you should stop clicking on those "You are our 1 millionth visitor, click to claim your prize" ads. Windows runs great its people who make malware for it that screw up your computer. I'm not saying Apple products aren't great, hell I wouldn't be on this site if I thought that. Steve can use his money how ever he likes, he earned it, he can burn it if he liked. Who are we to say how he uses it? What Steve said is low, It was a outright attack because he wanted to deflect his lack of philanthropy, and anyone that cannot see that is blinded by their shiny iPhone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iDeadman View Post

Lol wow that's a lot of hate coming from someone who says someone ELSE should burn in hell. Too bad a century from now people will still remember who he was and what he did but you however will be long forgotten.

That good sir is what we Internet people call "PWNED"
    Unfortunately, it doesn't always take special skills or genius to be remembered for something you've done. Nor does it necessarily mean you are (were) a good person. If you aim high (pun intended), the simple act of pulling a trigger should keep your memory around for a while (i.e. John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, Mark David Chapman, etc.).
    Last edited by dragonjo8; 12-15-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragonjo8 View Post
    Unfortunately, it doesn't always take special skills or genius to be remembered for something you've done. Nor does it necessarily mean you are (were) a good person. If you aim high (pun intended), the simple act of pulling a trigger should keep you're memory around for a while (i.e. John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, Mark David Chapman, etc.).

Damn...should be "your memory around" not you're.

Very very true.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
    I didn't know dead people paid taxes. Thanks for informing me.
    Some do. Most don't.

Let me google that for you

"If an asset is left to a (Federally recognized) spouse or a charitable organization, the tax usually does not apply.

For deaths occurring in 2011, up to $5,000,000 can be passed from an individual upon his or her death without incurring federal estate tax."

ETA: Political posturing between wealthy people means very little, just like the Occupy movement.

I prefer Jobs' product to Gates'. Purely cosmetic reasons.

We all give up certain freedoms to add security, in every aspect of life. From computing, to social, to financial.
    Last edited by dmbsituation; 12-15-2011 at 05:38 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

to many people (technology blondes) innovating isn't a huge thing. Microsoft is a lot bigger than apple. it doesn't matter how you make your money, as long as you get lots of it as long as you're not child sex slaving or anything...