+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Fans Angered by Time Magazine 'Snub'

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
To some Apple fans, it was all but certain and a foregone conclusion that late Apple co-founder and iconic CEO Steve Jobs would be named Time magazine's "Person of The
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple Fans Angered by Time Magazine 'Snub'

To some Apple fans, it was all but certain and a foregone conclusion that late Apple co-founder and iconic CEO Steve Jobs would be named Time magazine's "Person of The Year" for 2011. Although Jobs has received no shortage of high-profile tributes since his October passing at the age of 56, Time Magazine, alas, did not bestow this year's top honors on the iDevice pioneer.

With Jobs "snubbed" according to some, the 2011 honors when to "The Protester." What is "The Protestor" you might ask? Although it sounds like a bad action movie starring Jean Claude Van Damme, "The Protestor" is Time's collective acknowledgement given to all who have changed the world this year by way of protesting. This catch-all description includes everyone from protestors in the Middle East who toppled dictatorial regimes, to those at home in the U.S. who objected to alleged Wall Street abuses.

So, in essence, many reading this article right now are included in Time magazine's description. So, congratulations! Runners up this year (in other words, the people you topped) include U.S. Navy Admiral William McRaven, Chinese political activist Ai Weiwei, Congressman Paul Ryan, and Kate Middleton.

Steve Jobs, however, was not totally snubbed (that's assuming you're in the camp that thinks he was snubbed at all). Time did reflect on Jobs' incredible life and achievements in a "Fond Farewell" tribute.

Source: Time Magazine

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Yay! Protestors FTW! Honesty though, I can't stand most protestors. Go and get a job. Or a life, or both.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Oh well, get over it fan boys.

Thanks

The occupy losers?! Seriously?!?!? Those idiots are nearly as bad as the moron earth-worshipers who burned down the hummer dealership, thereby creating far worse emissions than all the trucks would have. Now we want to celebrate the hypocrites that use everything offered by wall street companies in their daily lives while protesting them? So silly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why give a guy a tribute just because he died?

The iPhone/iPod/iPad was not invented in 2011.

He brought nothing new to the world expect countless patent lawsuits.

Congrats to the Protesters! I think the Arab Spring is a lot more important than a stupid iOS device and YES, I'm an Apple fan.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Netherscourge For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (12-15-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I really don't see what Steve has done to be THIS YEAR'S person of the year. The new iPhone is not revolutionary and its main feature is still in Beta stage. The iPad2 is a speedier much more polished version of its predecessor.....but again....nothing truly remarkable.

It's based on your accomplishments for the YEAR....not lifetime. Steve has already been more than recognized for his achievements....but THIS YEAR Steve and Apple haven't done anything special.

Thanks

I don't care if Jobs was named Person of the Year. Time magazine is joke. Case in point--giving people that protest with hate, violence, destruction, pooping in public anti-semestism and drug use, the Person of The Year title?

Case closed.

Thanks

Frankly I find this idea that picking protesters over Steve Jobs is a "snub" disturbing. Who in the world legitimized this ridiculous notion?

Let's see-- one group of people fought for democracy, sacrificed their lives, lost family and friends, and mustered the strength and courage to fight to improve our world in the face of death after being oppressed for decades.

The other person was a successful business executive who passed away from cancer.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

Time Mag. ranks up here with the Nobel Peace Prize group. Worthless! I mean come on this is the same as selecting Barack Obama as the Nobel Prize winner for doing nothing but spending our children's tax money. Time mag should be ashamed of theirselves. Not that I would have picked Steve anyway as there are far more people that should have received this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Yay! Protestors FTW! Honesty though, I can't stand most protestors. Go and get a job. Or a life, or both.
    I suppose the job or life you're referring to has more to do with greed, abuse and fraud than anything else.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluprint For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (12-15-2011)

Thanks

Time's person of the year is worthless. Many times it isn't a even a person but persons. Remember when Bill Gates and his wife had to share the cover with Bono? It's become pretty stupid in recent years and not at all what it once was.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesChirac View Post
    Frankly I find this idea that picking protesters over Steve Jobs is a "snub" disturbing. Who in the world legitimized this ridiculous notion?

Let's see-- one group of people fought for democracy, sacrificed their lives, lost family and friends, and mustered the strength and courage to fight to improve our world in the face of death after being oppressed for decades.

The other person was a successful business executive who passed away from cancer.
    I hope this is a sad joke.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRepairIndy View Post
    Oh well, get over it fan boys.
    +1

Thanks

People expect a worthy "Person of the Year" from Time Magazine these days? :scratchead:

We all know that every single one of the toppled dictatorships is just going to be replaced by another.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yay!!
    This makes me one of "the protestors" of the year! I was part of the Arab Spring protests

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by micro_master View Post
    Yay!!
    This makes me one of "the protestors" of the year! I was part of the Arab Spring protests
    Which one?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    most ignorant thing ive ever heard

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Steve Jobs did pretty much nothing in 2011. Why would he be eligible for "Person of The Year" for 2011?

"The Protestors" (ie. the real protestors in the likes of Libya, and not the hippy's on Wall Street complaining that daddy has cut off their trust fund) deserve infinitely more acknowledgement than Steve Jobs ever will.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    People expect a worthy "Person of the Year" from Time Magazine these days? :scratchead:

We all know that every single one of the toppled dictatorships is just going to be replaced by another.

Exactly - out goes Jobs, in comes Cook.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    Exactly - out goes Jobs, in comes Cook.

Seriously though, in these countries mob rule is as bad as a dictatorship. Look at all the Christians terrorized after the Egyptian revolution.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 12-14-2011 at 12:19 PM.