+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Seeks to Improve iOS Notifications by Hiring Fresh Talent Praised for Concepts

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple has recently hired Jan-Michael Cart, best known for creating demos of proposed Notification Center tweak, to intern with the company for the next seven months. Cart’s internship follows two
    Thanks

Default Apple Seeks to Improve iOS Notifications by Hiring Fresh Talent Praised for Concepts

Apple has recently hired Jan-Michael Cart, best known for creating demos of proposed Notification Center tweak, to intern with the company for the next seven months. Cart’s internship follows two other recent hires known for notification work. This suggests that the Cupertino giant is aware that iOS notifications still need some work.

Cart is currently a junior majoring in Mass Media Arts at the University of Georgia, specializing in video and graphic design. According to his website, he has recently begun experimenting with Xcode and learning about iOS development. With the release of iOS 5, Cart began to create videos demonstrating his ideas for improving its Notification Center feature.

Before the introduction of iOS 5 in October, iOS notifications were very basic and difficult to manage. The new Notification Center has redesigned the approach and offered vast improvements. While the Notification Center was generally welcomed by many, it has also faced its fair share of criticisms. Amongst these are buttons that are too small to use reliably, the inconsistent use of Apple’s linen texture, and limited integration with other iOS functionality.

When it comes to improving notifications, Cart has a number of ideas including collapsible notifications, a persistent status bar badge, and user customizable widgets for quick access to certain app features. Luckily for Cart, his ideas, as well as his ability to demonstrate them with animation and video seemed to have caught Apple’s eye. He will now continue to spend the next seven months as a UI/UX Design Intern at Apple’s Cupertino Campus. Although the improvements to notification in iOS 5 represent a major step forward, it’s clear that Apple is continuing to put forth more effort and manpower when it comes to improving in the future versions of iOS.

After watching some Cart’s demos, I hope to see some of his ideas come to fruition in the near future. How do you feel about iOS 5’s notifications? What changes would you like to see? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Jan-Michael Cart (blog)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Looks cool, hopefully there stop the lagging when bring it down

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaGiCx View Post
    Looks cool, hopefully there stop the lagging when bring it down
    No lag on the 4s dude

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CCNPJediHacker View Post
    No lag on the 4s dude
    lmao, if it did, a piece of junk in the making.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

This is great! I love Jan-Michael Cart's concepts, and would love to see them become a reality.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

it'd be lovely to get some native toggles in there. intelliscreenx does this beautifully.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Didn't they hire the guy who made notification plus or whatever (it was called)for the 5.x notification center? He was in the jailbreak community for quite a while then apple scooped him up.

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah his name was Peter Hajas and he made mobilenotifier, I loved that on 4.x!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Shouldnt apple hire David Ashman (Lockinfo) and Elias Limneos (Callbar) maker instead? cause this video show exactly what their tweak in cydia provide....or it is apple doesnt want to admit they like the jailbreak community?

Thanks

Default Helllllls Yeahhhh!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    This is great! I love Jan-Michael Cart's concepts, and would love to see them become a reality.
    They need so new blood with inovations and concepts on their minds so they can work together and turn them into reality!!
    Can't wait to see some improvements....

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

That's great news. This guy is a G. If they can actually execute these ideas successfully, it'll definitely put iOS over the top of the competition. Smart move Apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

a status bar icon is what they need instead of having to manually check for notifications

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Wow, I just watched all his iOS videos and he has some great ideas! Why hasn't he been working with some JB developer to bring these to reality?!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post

Apple has recently hired Jan-Michael Cart, best known for creating demos of proposed Notification Center tweak, to intern with the company for the next seven months. Cart’s internship follows two other recent hires known for notification work. This suggests that the Cupertino giant is aware that iOS notifications still need some work.

Cart is currently a junior majoring in Mass Media Arts at the University of Georgia, specializing in video and graphic design. According to his website, he has recently begun experimenting with Xcode and learning about iOS development. With the release of iOS 5, Cart began to create videos demonstrating his ideas for improving its Notification Center feature.

Before the introduction of iOS 5 in October, iOS notifications were very basic and difficult to manage. The new Notification Center has redesigned the approach and offered vast improvements. While the Notification Center was generally welcomed by many, it has also faced its fair share of criticisms. Amongst these are buttons that are too small to use reliably, the inconsistent use of Apple’s linen texture, and limited integration with other iOS functionality.

When it comes to improving notifications, Cart has a number of ideas including collapsible notifications, a persistent status bar badge, and user customizable widgets for quick access to certain app features. Luckily for Cart, his ideas, as well as his ability to demonstrate them with animation and video seemed to have caught Apple’s eye. He will now continue to spend the next seven months as a UI/UX Design Intern at Apple’s Cupertino Campus. Although the improvements to notification in iOS 5 represent a major step forward, it’s clear that Apple is continuing to put forth more effort and manpower when it comes to improving in the future versions of iOS.

After watching some Cart’s demos, I hope to see some of his ideas come to fruition in the near future. How do you feel about iOS 5’s notifications? What changes would you like to see? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Jan-Michael Cart (blog)
    Yeah, I know that guy. He created a live app-icon notification system concept. You should really watch it on his YouTube channel.
    Niels97Oet - On YouTube, Twitter and Please read again I only give one warning - thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This would almost completely kill all desire for me to JB. Only interested in NC Widgets.