Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Founding Documents Pull $1.6 Million at Auction

Default Apple's Founding Documents Pull $1.6 Million at Auction

Apple’s founding documents netted $1.6 million at a Sotheby’s auction today. That’s just over $300,000 per sheet of paper for the collection of documents.

The papers in question outline the founding of Apple, including the responsibilities and shares of Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak and Ronald Wayne. Jobs and Wozniak each held a 45% stake in the company and Wayne held a 10% share. Wayne famously sold his 10% share two weeks after signing the document for $2,300. If Wayne had kept his share of the company it would be worth almost $40 billion today.

According to CNN the “sparsely attended” auction heated up quickly with the bidding reaching over $1 million in just 10 minutes. The winning bid was actually only $1.35 million, but the additional auction fee pushed the total to just under $1.6 million. Before the auction Sotheby’s estimated the documents would fetch $150,000 on the high-end. Nothing quite like beating the auction estimate by tenfold.

Wired’s John Abell made the point that “time will tell if this investment proves to be a better one than acquiring the more than 4,000 shares of Apple stock the winning bidder could have bought instead.” Very true. But, something tells me a person dropping $1.6 million on five sheets of paper really doesn’t concern themselves with their own investments anymore.

Source: Wired, CNN
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 12-13-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple's self promotion is well known, not surprised if Apple bid against itself to bring it to rediculously high price.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Apple's self promotion is well known, not surprised if Apple bid against itself to bring it to rediculously high price.
    Based on what self promotion?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post

Wayne famously sold his 10% share two weeks after signing the document for $2,300. If Wayne had kept his share of the company it would be worth almost $40 billion today.

Source: Wired, CNN

Doh!! Hahaha

uni,
    Are you talking about self promotion like in advertising? Was that just puke or do you
    have some dialog that can explain your comment. I think you could sneak up on any
    company and catch them in the act of promoting their business...they should let someone
    else do it right? Argh

dz
    Last edited by dz302; 12-13-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dz302 View Post
    uni,
    Are you talking about self promotion like in advertising? Was that just puke or do you
    have some dialog that can explain your comment. I think you could sneak up on any
    company and catch them in the act of promoting their business...they should let someone
    else do it right? Argh

dz
    Advertising ofcourse.
    Just a current example: How life changing is Siri? How did Apple promote this? I recall something like "Siri will change everything". My god it is just a voice command program just about everyone has, granted it is more extensive than the ones that came before it but Apple made it out to be some huge invention nobody can live without.

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

You know Wayne's gotta be kicking himself in the ***** for his 40 billion dollar mistake. That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Advertising ofcourse.
    Just a current example: How life changing is Siri? How did Apple promote this? I recall something like "Siri will change everything". My god it is just a voice command program just about everyone has, granted it is more extensive than the ones that came before it but Apple made it out to be some huge invention nobody can live without.
    uni. I think I owe you an apology for my wording before... could have chosen better words.
    Please try and look at it this way. Mr Jobs did say "Siri will change everything" however he said it in the same
    context that Henry Ford said it. He never claimed to have invented it...he simply is developing it, and in the process
    that constitutes reinvention...kinda like every Auto manufacture in the world has done since Henry.This is all he as
    ever claimed to be achieving with any of his products. Siri is here to stay and it will be reinvented over and over and
    over again and get better every time. Whether it's Apple or someone else just don't matter, what matters is it evolves.
    What we should be watching are things like the fact that we are about to lose all our charging cables to remote charging
    stations. Mr Jobs reinvented things with a vigilant attempt at reducing them to their purest form for function.
    Visual impact, ease of use and avoiding problematic design were his goals. Remote charging has been all over the radar
    for a long time but never been "reinvented" and therefore not applicable in everyday use. Lets see who's able to present
    us all with the first step into the future of that technology. uni, why does everyone else's product renditions look so much like
    the original Apple products? It's timing and product presentation, just like modmyi. I remember 4 years ago sitting at
    a Cadillac store in Clearwater FL and young man dropped by and showed me his site modmyiphone. He said it was going
    to be great...talk about product presentation I think he and Mr Jobs have provided us with a great way to stay current
    and have a nice time don't you. Thanks uni, and Happy holidays

dz