Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update

Hybrid View

Default Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update

The Thunderbolt display is an external display that uses a thunderbolt connection.

The Thunderbolt display is a very powerful display. It comes in as big as the leading iMac and can be used for any Thunderbolt Mac on the market. Additionally, they're beautiful, quick, and they aren't very power-hungry. They're made with quality aluminum and glass. They're a useful tool for anyone who wants a desktop-sized experience on their little MacBook screen. But, they work with more than just the MacBooks as they can double up as multiple displays for media editors on iMacs and other Macs alike.

Today, Apple has released as firmware upgrade for all Thunderbolt displays which Apple reports as the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    This update addresses a fan noise issue affecting a small number of Apple Thunderbolt Displays and improves stability.

The updater application will be installed in the Utilities folder inside the Application folder and will be launched automatically when you close this installer.

Please follow the instructions in the updater application to complete the update process.
    The update is small and painless to download and install at under one megabyte and additionally you can get the update from Software Update. If you have any issues getting the update from Software Update, you can download it directly from Apple from this link and install it manually which works just as well. The fan noise issue, being fixed by a software update, probably means that the fan will be silenced a bit by spinning less and at lower RPM's. Expect warmer temperatures.

How many Modmyi readers own a Thunderbolt Display? Let me tell you, they're great for movies. Share in the comments below!

Sources: MacRumors

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't, because I don't have the money for a $1000 display...

Thunderbolt Display / Apple Monitors are a joke. Way over priced, and is not affordable for regular apple users. there are plenty of excellent external displays that are 27" or even bigger for way cheaper. Big waste of money from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by xNEOxGENESISx View Post
    Thunderbolt Display / Apple Monitors are a joke. Way over priced, and is not affordable for regular apple users. there are plenty of excellent external displays that are 27" or even bigger for way cheaper. Big waste of money from my perspective.
    Yea, I love my 27" iMac, but I'm not going to spend $1,000 on an iMac without the computer. There are better displays for cheaper.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

I wasn't aware a monitor could have a firmware....at least one that updates its software..

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

It's just a smidge more than a monitor.

I have a Thunderbolt Display and a Macbook Air 13" and together, I have to say, I am extremely pleased. I do some photo editing and graphic design that require more screen real estate and the Thunderbolt display works perfectly. With an i7 processor in my Macbook Air, I have the power to work on the go and to drive the giant display back at home. It's like owning a perfect hybrid between a an iMac 27" and an ultra portable macbook pro. You plug it in (just the power cable and thunderbolt cable that stem off the back of the display) and that acts as the hub to all the various hard drives and peripherals. It has a decent built in speaker, but that aside, the thin profile and the decluttering of cables make the display well worth the $1000. One could make the argument that you can buy a cheaper display (probably with worse specs), but you can make the same argument about the iPhone. You can buy an Android smartphone that can perform the same functions as the iPhone, but it's not as clean or polished as Apple makes it. It goes back to the argument that the iPad is just an oversized iPhone. It's not. It's a whole new device category and so is the Thunderbolt display + macbook air combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It's just a smidge more than a monitor.
    Anthony do you have one of this ?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    anyone know in the picture where I can find that wallpaper? link?