+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HP CEO Says Apple to Likely Take Away PC Leadership Position in 2012

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Considering how poor HP decisions have been of late, this article is laughable at best. At least she was intelligent enough to know a tablet is not a PC and
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Considering how poor HP decisions have been of late, this article is laughable at best. At least she was intelligent enough to know a tablet is not a PC and it never will be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    This is slightly underestimated. Should be about 20%-25%.

Wiki says in march 2011 osx market share tipped 14%

-Luke

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesey123 View Post
    They hired a REALIST! She knows that in some areas HP aren't competing how they could be and should be. HP no they have to start moving in a different direction so I'm looking forward to seeing the out come in 2012-2013. On a side note hopefully they will keep webOS and improve on it.
    What kind of leader does not have the confidence in the company you are running? HP was at 28.9% market share and apple was at 12.9% in 2011 Q3. She put eBay down to the grown then left and went into politics which she failed. I hope HP get rid of her quick before she makes another mistake.

Thanks

Lol at the morons saying the iPad isn't a PC....keep thinking that while the rest of the world moves on from that antiquated thinking.

Good on this CEO for being a realist and realizing that markets and consumer tastes have changed, and that she needs to get her company up to speed.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
    Lol at the morons saying the iPad isn't a PC....keep thinking that while the rest of the world moves on from that antiquated thinking.
    Yeah we sure will keep thinking that......especially as I stare at the GoToMyPC app that's sitting right there in the APP STORE for users to connect their iPhone or iPad to a REAL computer to do the things that they can't do on their TABLET.

The CEO of HP herself even agrees with that fact.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
    Wiki says in march 2011 osx market share tipped 14%

-Luke
    Wiki says a lot of things. I made Wiki say that a box jellyfish was made from cardboard.

Thanks

Wiki says a lot of things. I made Wiki say that a box jellyfish was made from cardboard.
    Well they are aren't they?

I purposely posted up that I pulled it from wiki. I would have thought you would have already read this. http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1821731

Sigh

-Luke

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Didn't she just tried to run for governor of California? executive to ebay I think? I feel bad for HP hiring such uneducated CEO.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    Highly doubtful especially since Mac is only about 15%-20% of the market
    15%-20% ,,is it the accurately data?

Thanks
    Thanked 14,162 Times in 6,637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amyking View Post
    15%-20% ,,is it the accurately data?
    No, that's not accurate. It is actually more like 6-7% I believe.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Default link
    Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post

Good on this CEO for being a realist and realizing that markets and consumer tastes have changed, and that she needs to get her company up to speed.
    Are you a moron? You obviously don't use your iPad for anything other than checking your email and browsing the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Seeing is believing so: iOS and Mac OS X market shares hit record highs
    Last edited by Xenthis; 12-02-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Wordwide, yes. In the U.S., refer to my picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    Are you a moron? You obviously don't use your iPad for anything other than checking your email and browsing the web.
    A jailbroken iOS 4.3.3 iPad has ALL yes, all of the software features of a full-blown PC. You have an open filesystem, the ability to upload/download, and applications that can mimic PC programs. iWork for office, Garageband and iMovie for media editing, and games. I mean... nothing is really missing. The keyboard and mouse have been around since the 80's. This is what the PC is becoming. Like the cassette player, the mouse will die. Macs are now using multi-touch pads instead of mice now. It's becoming the standard on many PC's too. The iPad just takes the multi-touch pad and overlays it on top of the screen.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-02-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,162 Times in 6,637 Posts

I am not in the US so I like world figures better

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

The keyboard and mouse have been around since the 80's. This is what the PC is becoming. Like the cassette player, the mouse will die. Macs are now using multi-touch pads instead of mice now. It's becoming the standard on many PC's too. The iPad just takes the multi-touch pad and overlays it on top of the screen.
    Yeah I heard that Apple did trials of a new Mac laptop where the whole screen was touchable(not the iPad an actual Mac OSX) but users couldn't use it with ease, more so I think the testers are retards and Apple should produce that product

Thanks

A jailbroken iOS 4.3.3 iPad has ALL yes, all of the software features of a full-blown PC. You have an open filesystem, the ability to upload/download, and applications that can mimic PC programs. iWork for office, Garageband and iMovie for media editing, and games. I mean... nothing is really missing. The keyboard and mouse have been around since the 80's. This is what the PC is becoming. Like the cassette player, the mouse will die. Macs are now using multi-touch pads instead of mice now. It's becoming the standard on many PC's too. The iPad just takes the multi-touch pad and overlays it on top of the screen.
    Keyword there was "software" features. And I would even debate that. I'm an IT professional and I do not own a tablet for business because it would just be dead weight in my bag, can't do everything I need on a day to day basis so I carry my laptop.

-Luke

Thanks

Keyword there was "software" features. And I would even debate that. I'm an IT professional and I do not own a tablet for business because it would just be dead weight in my bag, can't do everything I need on a day to day basis so I carry my laptop.

-Luke
    Give it time, tablets will be as customizable as desktop PC's.

Remember the 8track cassette player? You couldn't modify it. Now we have iPods and smartphones which can have upgraded memory and storage and basically every part that a computer uses. I have no doubt that in the near future we will be buying RAM, processor, and storage upgrades for our smartphones and tablets.

I think you're just judging too early in its time. I would say modern tablets are still the Beta of what tablets will be in the future.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-02-2011 at 02:26 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

It is impossible to type as fast on a digital keyboard than a regular one. Current tablets do not have the processing power to even come to compete with computers. The only people using major multi-touch tech are Apple, and having a trackpad for a desktop machine makes absolutely no sense to me. The mouse cannot die. It is a much more powerful tool than a touchscreen. You only have 5 fingers. Some mice (Razer Naga) have more than 10 buttons.
    I am sure that someday in the future, tablets can compete with computers, but that day has not happened yet.

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    It is impossible to type as fast on a digital keyboard than a regular one. Current tablets do not have the processing power to even come to compete with computers. The only people using major multi-touch tech are Apple, and having a trackpad for a desktop machine makes absolutely no sense to me. The mouse cannot die. It is a much more powerful tool than a touchscreen. You only have 5 fingers. Some mice (Razer Naga) have more than 10 buttons.
    I am sure that someday in the future, tablets can compete with computers, but that day has not happened yet.
    The mouse can indeed die. This is because it's becoming an extraneous device and companies are realizing that touch technology can be integrated into the devices themselves which makes it both more expensive and also more portable. Consumers want portability, and as the iPad has shown, people will pay expensive costs for portability. Companies will take advantage of more expensive things whenever they can to make more money.

Additionally, Apple is thinking in the future. That is why they, "re-invented" the tablet. Remember those old Tablet PC's that had keyboards and track-pads and the ability to use mice? They, "crashed and burned." Today's operating systems are built so well with touch controls that the mouse simply will not be able to compete as time moves forward. Windows 8 will be touch-based. There will be the option to use a mouse but it just won't feel right. Every company will soon work with touch controls one way or another.

If there is anything I see the mouse living for, it's gaming. Companies might sell high-end mice for PC game controllers, however everything else can be done with the touch controls.

As far as keyboarding speeds. Well, it's been proven that the old fashioned abacus can beat a calculator at math speeds. But the convenient calculator is dominant. Technology always buys out primitive ways. That is why I think the keyboard and mouse will simply die in favor of touch computers.

That's not to say that you won't be able to continue to buy them. You can still buy an abacus, right?
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-02-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks

Give it time, tablets will be as customizable as desktop PC's.

Remember the 8track cassette player? You couldn't modify it. Now we have iPods and smartphones which can have upgraded memory and storage and basically every part that a computer uses. I have no doubt that in the near future we will be buying RAM, processor, and storage upgrades for our smartphones and tablets.

I think you're just judging too early in its time. I would say modern tablets are still the Beta of what tablets will be in the future.

I agree with you there. It is early yet in the life of touch and tablets. But that doesn't count as a handicap in the comparison of power,features,usability,functionality desktop/laptop vs tablet today.

-Luke

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with you there. It is early yet in the life of touch and tablets. But that doesn't count as a handicap in the comparison of power,features,usability,functionality desktop/laptop vs tablet today.

-Luke
    True and then there's the fact that the mouse actually hinders user experience and

there's nothing u can do with a mouse that u can't do with touch technology