+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Updates Safari to Version 5.1.2

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple's Web browser, Safari, gets some important bug fixes today. Safari is Apple's answer to browsing the internet. It's shipped on all Macs and all iDevices and is used for
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Updates Safari to Version 5.1.2

Apple's Web browser, Safari, gets some important bug fixes today.

Safari is Apple's answer to browsing the internet. It's shipped on all Macs and all iDevices and is used for viewing Web Pages like any other Web browser. Safari uses a nitro-Javascript engine for fast rendering and has awesome speeds. It's not an open source browser unfortunately, so people prefer to use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome in most cases.

Today's update addresses some minor bugs and security enhancements. Since Mac OS X Lion was released, we all can admit that Safari has been acting strangely. In the first week, people were reporting that trying to play flash videos would simply make the Mac randomly shut down. That bug was fixed pretty quickly, but it appears that there were still problems. As addressed in this update, Safari could sometimes cause Web sites to render and then flash white. This is of course a problem because you cannot read a white screen. That issue has been fixed entirely.

Another problem that was addressed was a memory usage problem. Safari has been known in the past to use excess amounts of RAM when running. Apple has fixed that problem now and Safari uses a normal amount of RAM when launched and while in use. Additionally, it should no longer 'freeze' or 'hang' when you are using it. I have personally been affected by the hanging because whenever I would try to load a page it would seem like the application would stop responding and then shortly after it would load. This problem has been fixed entirely as well.

Apple also added the feature so Safari that allows you to read PDF's directly from the browser. This means that you don't have to download the PDF and then read it with an external application like Adobe Reader or Apple Preview. Instead, you can just open it and read it in Safari itself and close it when you are done with it.

Last but not least, Apple has brought some security updates which should help you stay secure online. Albeit Mac-attacks are rarer than some other operating systems, the recent rise in Mac Trojan Horses are no joke. It's not absolutely sure what kinds of security vulnerabilities were patched in this new version of Safari, but security was enhanced which should raise green flags for some of you die-hard security zealots out there.

You will need to restart your computer after installing this update. So save your work first!

Have you downloaded the new Safari update yet? Let us know if it has fixed any problems for you in the comments below!

Sources: 9to5Mac

iPhone? More like MyPhone ElderRoco's Avatar
    Thanks

AWESOME! it fixes the problems i had, thanks (:

Banned
    Thanks

where's the article about how iOS 5.1 beta causes more problems and fixed none including the battery issue?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    where's the article about how iOS 5.1 beta causes more problems and fixed none including the battery issue?
    Only a day and you expect that to happen?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How about the incessant crashing when playing video in the Safari browser...oh, that's ios5!!

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Why are people talking about iOS 5? This is a Mac Safari update. I thought that was pretty clear by the picture.

Thanks
    Now we just need a fix for iTunes 10.5.1 being leggy and freezing on windows 7

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Why are people talking about iOS 5? This is a Mac Safari update. I thought that was pretty clear by the picture.
    Because people always want to whine about something.
    Untethered jailbreak
    iOS 5 this or that.
    Just call the waaaaahmbulance next time.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Android users are like kids on the short bus.
    They get excited but don't understand.

Give them a break.
    Ice Cream Sandwich is good, ta-hayult

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

CRAPple, safari still suck! Big time... I replace it with firefox R skyfire...

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Now this is a good article! I've been plagued by Sarai constantly hanging. Thanks for the info!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mlitz69 View Post
    Now we just need a fix for iTunes 10.5.1 being leggy and freezing on windows 7
    Get a Mac :-P

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

a pdf reader! Omg omg omg omg! - OH - AND it requires a reboot! Doesn't everyone think that having to use a program to update other programs is a little outdated? - Think about chrome... Automatically and background installs updates.
    Last edited by Xenthis; 11-30-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    a pdf reader! Omg omg omg omg! - OH - AND it requires a reboot! Doesn't everyone think that having to use a program to update other programs is a little outdated?
    Um that's how Mac is with all updates to the operating system programs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    a pdf reader! Omg omg omg omg! - OH - AND it requires a reboot! Doesn't everyone think that having to use a program to update other programs is a little outdated? - Think about chrome... Automatically and background installs updates.
    Stuff that runs Safari also has deep hooks in the OS. So when Safari needs updating it is also updating those hooks. Thus why the OS needs to be rebooted.

And it is nice to have updates in one place. You know like how windows does with Windows Update. It has most Microsoft updates within that; mainly security patches.

Although Software Update on OSX actually puts in updates for Apple products not just security patches.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Actually this is quite irrelevant to this post, but for a while I've been noticing the desktop background of the picture above, and in other such pictures. Where can I get it? haha it looks pretty cool

Thanks

Ummm you can't see the desktop wallpaper.

My guess would be the default Lion wallpaper.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Ummm you can't see the desktop wallpaper.

My guess would be the default Lion wallpaper.
    It wasn't just in this picture, it was in others too, for the past year or so. It wasn't one of the Lion defaults, because I saw the semi-full one, and basically it looked like a bunch of stars (white dots), with a blueish background

Thanks

Have a full better image?