+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best Buy Lures Customers With Apple Products

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
It isn’t hard to figure out why Best Buy loves Apple. But, I didn’t know they were like, you know, one in the same. Because that's what Best Buy’s recent
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Best Buy Lures Customers With Apple Products

It isn’t hard to figure out why Best Buy loves Apple. But, I didn’t know they were like, you know, one in the same. Because that's what Best Buy’s recent marketing campaign is portraying to consumers.

Best Buy’s new advertisements claim Best Buy is a “store within a store” with all the Apple gear anyone would ever need. The ad shows a sales associate demonstrating FaceTime on an iPad with the shopper responding “that is so cool. I didn’t know you guys had all the Apple products. My family is going to flip out.”

The ad then goes into some weird storyline depicting a baffled Santa Claus when he sees numerous Apple products placed around a Christmas tree as gifts. The woman shopper looks on menacingly drinking the milk left out for Santa. A title pops up “Game on, Santa.”

Pay no mind to the lapse in logic. If Santa were real and were actually delivering Apple products as presents, why would the woman waste thousands of dollars at Best Buy?

Anyways a voiceover then announces “All the hottest Apple gifts, and the professionals to help,” as a number of Apple products are displayed. The Best Buy logo is then displayed with the tagline “Everything Apple. At Best Buy.”

Best Buy as a business has been struggling for a while now, and it isn’t going to hurt their bottom line to ride the Apple money train through the holiday season.

Source: Tech Crunch
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 11-28-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 484 Posts

Hahahaha good stuff. Sad but clever marketing ploy

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

You CANNOT compete with Santa

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

So there is no santa?!?!?!

Banned
    Thanks

Not only does Best Buy love apple, they seem to hate everyone else. Take a look at this "display stand" at a Best Buy store. I wont name the store, this is absolutely unacceptable that a retail giant like Best Buy runs this kind of operation. I went here looking for the Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus and I wanted to take a second look at the Galaxy Note ( the 4.0 because the 5.0 was just too clunky looking) to my dismay, here's what the Samsung Display looked like. On display that had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 that would not power on so I dont know if it had a dead batter or it was broken. they had a Galaxy Tab 8.9. on the other side of the table they had labels for the Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus and the Galaxy Player 5.0 but neither device was on the display. under the table were a few misc accessories. When I asked one of the employees, "what's up with the display and were are the devices" she said that they were out of stock. when I asked her what that means and why do they have a display of they're out of stock, she said that they were sold out. Of course she was lying, they were NOT sold out, they just neglected to properly display them. So I march her over to the Apple section and sure enough everything was pristine and shinny and waiting for customers. Please note that this is no reflection on Samsung or Best Buy as a whole, but that particular store and its employees (if I can say all that on ModMyi)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Not only does Best Buy love apple, they seem to hate everyone else. Take a look at this "display stand" at a Best Buy store. I wont name the store, this is absolutely unacceptable that a retail giant like Best Buy runs this kind of operation. I went here looking for the Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus and I wanted to take a second look at the Galaxy Note ( the 4.0 because the 5.0 was just too clunky looking) to my dismay, here's what the Samsung Display looked like. On display that had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 that would not power on so I dont know if it had a dead batter or it was broken. they had a Galaxy Tab 8.9. on the other side of the table they had labels for the Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus and the Galaxy Player 5.0 but neither device was on the display. under the table were a few misc accessories. When I asked one of the employees, "what's up with the display and were are the devices" she said that they were out of stock. when I asked her what that means and why do they have a display of they're out of stock, she said that they were sold out. Of course she was lying, they were NOT sold out, they just neglected to properly display them. So I march her over to the Apple section and sure enough everything was pristine and shinny and waiting for customers. Please note that this is no reflection on Samsung or Best Buy as a whole, but that particular store and its employees (if I can say all that on ModMyi)
    this actually should be a reflection of samsung and the marketing partners they use. unfortunately things are not always recieved on time, or they are damages etc so stores have to wait for their martketing products to arrive or be replaced.

Now the employee saying it was out of stock when it wasnt is dumb, im sure best buy management would have a field day for saying something like that...(so what store was it? )

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Best Buy's policy of requiring ID for ALL returns prevents me from shopping there. Their databases have been hacked at least twice that I know of. If they record my ID with Driver's License Number, Address, Issue Date, Expiration date, etc. and the system is hacked, I am now vulnerable to Identity Theft. If I used a credit card to make my purchase, it is not even more likely for someone to steal my identity (at least my credit card and charge stuff to it at the bare minimum, as they would have my name and address as well).If they continue to have this policy, they should go out of business. This added to the fact that they have no customer service skills and definitely do not have skilled staff when it comes to computers can definitely explain why they have been struggling. This doesn't even touch the fact that they have higher prices than many online options.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drigo1178 View Post
    this actually should be a reflection of samsung and the marketing partners they use. unfortunately things are not always recieved on time, or they are damages etc so stores have to wait for their martketing products to arrive or be replaced.

Now the employee saying it was out of stock when it wasnt is dumb, im sure best buy management would have a field day for saying something like that...(so what store was it? )
    There are apple representatives who help keep the apple display top notch. Samsung prolly were out of stock and I'm sure there are only 2 devices because that's all they make.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I WORK at BEST BUY and Only reason it may show that best buy loves apple is cause apple pays best buy to have more showing (more advertising space instore). If samsung did the same thing then samsung would have as big if not bigger stands. As well as why would best buy be an apple lover, its because 1/6th of best buys TOTAL REVENUE it makes in an ENTIRE YEAR comes from apple products ALONE. Thats ALOT of money.

CMWADE The IRS has been hacked a dozen times in the last 3 years. Doing your taxes is enough for you to have identity theft lol. As for ID Returns, they are only legally aloud to take down your name and adress, not your drivers ID number ect... which would be big in the identity theft part.

As for struggling? what are you talking about? Best buy has been in the + profits every year for the past 5 years. Even with the recession. lol wow you're a noob on this topic lol.
    Last edited by finalfantasy; 11-28-2011 at 06:32 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

There can only be one Highlander...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by finalfantasy View Post
    I WORK at BEST BUY and Only reason it may show that best buy loves apple is cause apple pays best buy to have more showing (more advertising space instore). If samsung did the same thing then samsung would have as big if not bigger stands. As well as why would best buy be an apple lover, its because 1/6th of best buys TOTAL REVENUE it makes in an ENTIRE YEAR comes from apple products ALONE. Thats ALOT of money.

CMWADE The IRS has been hacked a dozen times in the last 3 years. Doing your taxes is enough for you to have identity theft lol. As for ID Returns, they are only legally aloud to take down your name and adress, not your drivers ID number ect... which would be big in the identity theft part.

As for struggling? what are you talking about? Best buy has been in the + profits every year for the past 5 years. Even with the recession. lol wow your a noob on this topic lol.
    Any argument you could have been attempting to make about "noobs"[sic] with this reply was negated by using "your" instead of "you're" in your last line of the post.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Have you went to Staples or Compusa or Radio Shack? The android tablets there on display aren't functional either. If you Best Buy is biased, the other major retailers must be as well. And they (excluding RS) don't have Apple products

Thanks

Alexevo lol wow... "you're" just as bad since NOOB has NOTHING and i mean NOTHING to do with spelling lol

*T*
    Thanks

You know, of you really wanted us to know the commercial, you could have just let us watch the ten second thing. Did you have to narrate the whole storyline for us?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Best Buy is the only store with an official Apple section (outside of Apple, which probably goes without saying). Makes sense that they would be pushing something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Not only does Best Buy love apple, they seem to hate everyone else. [cut the rest for length]
    It's worth noting that endcaps like that are generally handled by reps., as in the Samsung rep comes and sets it up and approves of it. They go as far as have only their reps come in, wipe down screens, make sure everything looks nice and tidy at least once a week. The image you shared with us almost certainly has nothing to do with best Buy and everything to do with Samsung.

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    Best Buy's policy of requiring ID for ALL returns prevents me from shopping there. Their databases have been hacked at least twice that I know of. If they record my ID with Driver's License Number, Address, Issue Date, Expiration date, etc. and the system is hacked, I am now vulnerable to Identity Theft. If I used a credit card to make my purchase, it is not even more likely for someone to steal my identity (at least my credit card and charge stuff to it at the bare minimum, as they would have my name and address as well). If they continue to have this policy, they should go out of business. This added to the fact that they have no customer service skills and definitely do not have skilled staff when it comes to computers can definitely explain why they have been struggling. This doesn't even touch the fact that they have higher prices than many online options.
    You need a little more than the information on your driver's license for a person to successfully steal your identity. Just saying. Also, all that is taken (by Best Buy) is the DL number and expiration date; far less than the slew of information you just posted about. No address is linked, and the name doesn't HAVE to be linked (many employees just skip this step). So basically, they pop in the DL# and check and see if you are one of the a-holes that consistently buys a product to "rent" for 29 days and then returns it. Have you ever been to the hospital or even just the doctor? They have all the information they need, readily available to them, to steal your identity. FAR MORE information than Best Buy would ever have. I am talking photo ID scans, insurance cards, social secirity numbers, and often even credit card information. You are welcome to your (obviously biased, or perhaps just uninformed) opinion, but it's a pretty big statement to say a company should go out of business because they require an ID to return something. And what retail store ISN'T more expensive than online options? That's a poor reason not to shop at any given store, unless of course you just don't shop at any brick and mortar stores for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by finalfantasy View Post
    I WORK at BEST BUY and Only reason it may show that best buy loves apple is cause apple pays best buy to have more showing (more advertising space instore). If samsung did the same thing then samsung would have as big if not bigger stands.
    There is one major difference here. There is almost no markup on an Apple product (before anyone does a double-take here, I am referring to Best Buy not putting their own mark-up on the Apple products. Apple DEFINITELY does, however). On pretty much all other products there is at LEAST a 20% markup, usually closer to 50%. Don't believe me? Start checking your employee price on various items. Apple will give you maybe $5 off of a $1000+ computer. Samsung you will get a couple Benjamins knocked right off a product of equal (retail) value.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-28-2011 at 09:21 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

This is exactly why chain retail stores are hated by alot of people, I can't stand them or their employees. These stores tell their employees to sell whatever product paid the most for advertising and not what is best for the customer, and unfortunetly there is a large portion of customers who do not know what they want and fall prey to the sales vultures. Absolutely disgusting, I urge everyone who is new to buying phones or tablets to do your research before you go into a chain store and buy what you "need" and avoid the vultures.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    Any argument you could have been attempting to make about "noobs"[sic] with this reply was negated by using "your" instead of "you're" in your last line of the post.
    Lmao +1

Quote Originally Posted by Atari800 View Post
    Have you went to Staples or Compusa or Radio Shack? The android tablets there on display aren't functional either. If you Best Buy is biased, the other major retailers must be as well. And they (excluding RS) don't have Apple products
    CompUSA??? Do they still exist?!

Btw, Best Buy pays Apple substantial quantities of u/t cash to set up shop in Best Buy, not the other way around. The second that Samsung has the marketshare and demand Apple does, I'm sure Best Buy will whore themselves out to Samsung.

Keep it real y'all.
    Last edited by ohthatguyagain; 11-28-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    This is exactly why chain retail stores are hated by alot of people, I can't stand them or their employees. These stores tell their employees to sell whatever product paid the most for advertising and not what is best for the customer, and unfortunetly there is a large portion of customers who do not know what they want and fall prey to the sales vultures. Absolutely disgusting, I urge everyone who is new to buying phones or tablets to do your research before you go into a chain store and buy what you "need" and avoid the vultures.
    What? Walk into Best Buy and ask them to recommend a computer to you. I can almost guarantee you they aren't going to jump straight to Apple, unless they see you browsing Apple products first, and nothing else. In short, I don't share your experience with virtually any chain store. I can tell you for certain Best Buy doesn't go telling their sales personnel "Hey guys, Apple took really good care of us, so make sure you push sales on Apple products". That's just absurd.

Literally everyone ripping on Best Buy has no idea what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    Btw, Best Buy pays Apple substantial quantities of u/t cash to set up shop in Best Buy, not the other way around.
    This is incorrect. Apple actually pays for the space. That mini "Apple store" inside of Best Buy is all paid for by Apple. Best Buy is not paying Apple for the rights to sell their products.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-28-2011 at 11:38 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    I have to Agree and i work at best buy. DO YOUR ******* HOMEWORK BEFORE SHOPPING GOD PPL. lol If you come in not knowing what you want and what is what. Then I do not feel sorry for "you" to get taken by a sales associate for not getting the right product or buying more then you need or spending more then you wanted lol.