+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: North Carolina Residents Blast Apple's Lack of Local Job Creation

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default North Carolina Residents Blast Apple's Lack of Local Job Creation

At approximately 500,000 square feet, Apple's sprawling data center in North Carolina is the size of a shopping mall, nearly five times the size of the company's existing data center on the west coast. And, as you may have heard, this elaborate construction will soon be joined by a neighboring structure of equal magnitude.

As MMi reported earlier this fall, locally obtained permits suggest that Apple is building a so-called "solar farm" across from the massive data center it owns and operates in Maiden, N.C.

All told, you would think - or perhaps assume - that the locals would welcome such development in light of the jobs it brings to the community. Well, that hasn't been universally true in this neck of the woods, according to new reports surfacing over the weekend.

“Apple really doesn’t mean a thing to this town,” said a local furniture maker. “Apple was the apple of everybody’s eye, but that’s about it. It was something for everyone to ooh and aah over,” another resident told the Washington Post.

The reason for their disapproval? Apple's juggernaut development has reportedly only brought 50 full-time jobs to the entire region - an area plagued by high (double-digit) unemployment. And although political leaders and local officials are singing Apple's praises, residents are likely to keep complaining until all this development does more to reduce the region's 13 percent unemployment rate.

Source: The Washington Post

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Unfortunate, but what did people expect? It's a data center for heaven's sake.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I used to work for Dell and spent a couple months in NC about 6 years ago when they opened a new plant, which has already been closed. The situation was pretty dire there back then, I imagine it's only gotten worse. I can understand their frustration. A HUGE plant goes in so they naturally assume there will be hundreds of jobs because the place is so big.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It does suck that there won't be many jobs, but just like sziklassy said. It is a data center...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Yup, 90% of work done is probably done remotely from Cupertino.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

They probably don't understand what data center is and are behind on technology.

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Yup, 90% of work done is probably done remotely from Cupertino.
    Bingo. Dumb rednecks wouldn't know that, I guess. They'd probably assume "oooh apple! Lots of jobs!"

Green Apple
    Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone LamboFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Get realistic for a moment. Look at the size of the data center. Don't you think they could create jobs by making something else instead? They have the right to rage over this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LamboFan View Post
    Get realistic for a moment. Look at the size of the data center. Don't you think they could create jobs by making something else instead? They have the right to rage over this.
    Like what? If a data center is what was needed then that's what Apple built. If the locals wanna raise pitchforks at someone they should start with whoever it was that sold Apple the land; this person appears to have taken the $$ and run instead of building on it themselves to help with job creation in their area.

Banned
    Thanks

50 Jobs for Americans thousands for the Chinese and other over seas companies. brilliant.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

Whah! Gimme gimme gimme!

It's a server farm. Not a cotton farm, you mouth breathers.

"Herp derp, I'm a gone git me a dang ole job in them thur google clouds, paw."

Quote Originally Posted by LamboFan View Post
    What do you propose? If the locals can create jobs then it's
    time to get cracking.

What do you expect of Apple? To create jobs in positions they don't need just to create jobs?

Bottom line. Apple wins, locals go eff themselves.
    Last edited by Beastly L92; 11-27-2011 at 05:57 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    50 Jobs for Americans thousands for the Chinese and other over seas companies. brilliant.
    Would you happily work under 200 u$d a month????? Didn't think so... Do you want to pay 1000 dollars for your iPhone?? Didn't think so either. Cant have it all buddy! It is what it is.

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Okay at the risk of sounding like a frakkin Republican, I have to ask how many people here b!tching at Apple for outsourcing product assembly would take the ~$132 a MONTH pay that Foxconn employees supposedly make??

Hmm...no takers?

Oh but wait, they could simply pay U.S. wages...and you better believe the retail price of their products would skyrocket, for good or ill, as the cost of manufacturing an item has direct bearing on what a company charges the consumer for it.

This discussion is a slippery slope and while I would love Apple--and other U.S. companies--to stop outsourcing jobs they could pay Americans to do, I also know I don't want to pay x times more for the same product so Billy Joe in NC can have a $14/hr manufacturing job screwing bits into the iPad 3. I highly doubt when push comes to shove, neither would many of you.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Should be more than 50 jobs. Security, housekeeping, maintenance, groundskeepers, probably some office personnel, etc..

Thanks

robots!

iPhone? More like MyPhone syedsufyan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Maybe if Jobs came for a visit....

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by syedsufyan View Post
    Maybe if Jobs came for a visit....
    Yea, I guess if they just wheeled Job's corpse down to the plant for a visit, then he could really crack some heads, get more people hired, and save the town!
    Last edited by stryker_tc; 11-27-2011 at 11:50 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beastly L92 View Post
    Whah! Gimme gimme gimme!

It's a server farm. Not a cotton farm, you mouth breathers.

"Herp derp, I'm a gone git me a dang ole job in them thur google clouds, paw."

What do you propose? If the locals can create jobs then it's
    time to get cracking.

What do you expect of Apple? To create jobs in positions they don't need just to create jobs?

Bottom line. Apple wins, locals go eff themselves.
    You really seem to be a giant douchebag. Mouth breathers? Whah gimme? I bet you wouldn't run your mouth like that in front of those "mouth breathers" because you wouldn't be doing to much breathing out of your mouth when it's filled with your own blood after they kicked your ***.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoloDiva13 View Post
    .... while I would love Apple--and other U.S. companies--to stop outsourcing jobs they could pay Americans to do, I also know I don't want to pay x times more for the same product so Billy Joe in NC can have a $14/hr manufacturing job screwing bits into the iPad 3. I highly doubt when push comes to shove, neither would many of you.
    Quite hypocritical - That attitude is exactly why jobs are outsourced to begin with. It's all about you (and your pretty iToy) and screw anyone else as long as you get it at a price you can afford.

Come out of your bubble. I know plenty of young adults out there that would take a manufacturing job at Apple for half that wage.