+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Intel Seeks to Develop Standardized Thunderbolt Docking System for 2012 Ultrabooks

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Intel Seeks to Develop Standardized Thunderbolt Docking System for 2012 Ultrabooks

The folks over at VR-Zone are reporting that Intel is quietly working on developing a standard docking format for their upcoming Ultrabook platform. The new docking system is said to incorporate a Thunderbolt connector as well as what appears to be proprietary connector along with it. The proprietary port is speculated to be used as power as well as direct access for the Ethernet controller, which is currently required to support technologies such as Intel vPro and Microsoft’s Connected Standby.

Apple’s solution to the whole ordeal is much simpler. Their Thunderbolt Cinema Display offers a single cable which splits into a Thunderbolt cable and a Magsafe power cable. The Thunderbolt cable here carries USB 3.0, FireWire 800, Ethernet, and Video from your laptop to the monitor. Intel’s proposal doesn’t have a separate non-Thunderbolt docking connector, which means it likely won’t be directly supported on the MacBook. Any major adoption of the Thunderbolt technology though will only help industry acceptance and the proliferation of more accessories.

Intel in the meantime continues to aggressively push forward the concept of an Ultrabook which bears close resemblance to Apple’s MacBook Air. This makes sense as the MacBook Air has experienced quite a bit of success since it's introduction and recently the Air accounted for 28% of the company's notebook units in the U.S, up from 8% in June. It is continually that Ultrabooks are expected to be the hottest product at the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show 2012 (CES 2012), which takes place in January. Implementation of technology such as this would help the industry move forward into using the technology much sooner.

Source: VR-Zone

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm really starting to consider an ultrabook, because of its better specs than the MacBook Air for a lot cheaper price. Sure, they haven't come out with one that matches the Air's design yet, but they've come pretty darn close, and did I mention the price? In this day and age, design doesn't really matter as long as you have a quality laptop that performs well and doesn't break the bank. And now that intel is basically implementing thunderbolt into the ultrabooks it's making me choose ultrabooks over MBA's any day.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    I'm really starting to consider an ultrabook, because of its better specs than the MacBook Air for a lot cheaper price. Sure, they haven't come out with one that matches the Air's design yet, but they've come pretty darn close, and did I mention the price? In this day and age, design doesn't really matter as long as you have a quality laptop that performs well and doesn't break the bank. And now that intel is basically implementing thunderbolt into the ultrabooks it's making me choose ultrabooks over MBA's any day.

Hardware is only a part of the solution and by leaving the MBA behind, IMHO you're giving up more than just design

iPhone? More like MyPhone syedsufyan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Not all Ultrabooks have to be as thin as the MBA. And better specs? I think they have almost the same.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Design matters. Steve Jobs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

In this day and age, design doesn't really matter as long as you have a quality laptop that performs well and doesn't break the bank.
    I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. To me, design is very important. I appreciate good design as an art form and am willing to pay more for it. And seeing as how design is one of Apple's founding principals, and they're the #1 PC and smartphone manufacturer these days (measured by sheer sales numbers), I don't think I'm alone. I like beautiful things as much as I like functionality. For me, Apple hits both those marks dead on.

Thanks

Yah apple definitely hits both those marks. Functionality/ design= a sexy Mac. I would have a Mac instead of a Pc if I had more money to spend. In the meantime Pc does it for me and i have not been unhappy since. Still I will have a Mac some way or another.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Magnetic?

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, but Ultrabooks don't run OSX, they run Windows. Windows is sooooo ewwwyyyyy. I don't understand how people can use such a bad OS. The day I got my MBP is the day I vowed to never use that garbage called Windows again. The same goes for android. I guess the majority of people like having great hardware running crap software (Windows/Android).