+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Black Friday: Get RAM for Your Mac Dirt Cheap!

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
For Black Friday only.... Does your Mac need a RAM upgrade? This upgrade will work with any new iMac, MacBook Pro and any other PC that will work with these
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Black Friday: Get RAM for Your Mac Dirt Cheap!

For Black Friday only....

Does your Mac need a RAM upgrade? This upgrade will work with any new iMac, MacBook Pro and any other PC that will work with these RAM specs. NewEgg is selling 8GB RAM upgrades for only $29.99 apiece, marked down from $44.99. This RAM will work with the 2011 MacBook Pro 13-15-17 inch models as well as the 2011 iMac. This means you can upgrade your iMac to 16GB RAM very cheaply. In case you weren't aware, Apple charges $200 for the 8GB RAM upgrade. So why not grab the $30 upgrade and get the same specs for $170 off?

I got my 8GB RAM upgrade from Crucial, who sells the 8GB (4GBx2) modules for $44.99. This is the same price that NewEgg sells them at, except that Crucial isn't having the Black Friday sale and NewEgg is. Crucial orders their RAM from manufacturer, Micron Technology while NewEgg orders their RAM from manufacturer PNY. Crucial's RAM gets a 4.5-star rating and NewEgg's RAM only gets a 3-star rating.

Macs have some very RAM-intensive software like VMWare Fusion, Final Cut Pro, and Adobe Suite programs. If you are a big user of any of those, or you like to run numerous programs side-by-side on your computer, then why not check out this cheap RAM upgrade and have a more optimally running Mac while you multitask?

PC users can take advantage of this upgrade as well. Windows has most of Mac's productivity software but also has its own lineup of RAM intensive software. Upgrading your RAM when you have one of Intel's new Sandy Bridge processors, when you don't have a video card, will increase your video memory. This means that you can game more optimally and lag less when playing. These processors use the Intel HD 3000 graphics which are set at 384MB of video memory when you have 4GB of RAM. Upgrading to 8GB of RAM will give you 512MB of video memory.

Will you be buying a RAM upgrade from NewEgg for this year's Black Friday? Share in the comments below!

Sources: NewEgg

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think I will!
    How hard would it be to install for someone who is a novice/someone who has never exposed their computers guts?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why do they only work with 2011 Macs?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

For Black Friday only....

PC users can take advantage of this upgrade as well. Windows has most of Mac's productivity software but also has its own lineup of RAM intensive software. Upgrading your RAM when you have one of Intel's new Sandy Bridge processors, when you don't have a video card, will increase your video memory. This means that you can game more optimally and lag less when playing. These processors use the Intel HD 3000 graphics which are set at 384MB of video memory when you have 4GB of RAM. Upgrading to 8GB of RAM will give you 512MB of video memory.

Sources: NewEgg

If I read this correctly it says it works with PC as well.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Green Chicken View Post
    good question, i'd upgrade as well except my macbook pro is 2 years old.

Thanks

Would this work in my new MacBook (not a pro)?

Thanks
    Well, maybe because these RAMs are the 1333 MHz models which is not compatible with older Mac models.
    I'm unequivocally a tekkie!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok...i have a question....i have had multiple iPhones....this is my first macbook....i just purchased a 13 inch macbook pro a couple months ago....it came with 4gb of ram...so for $30 I can buy basically double the size of my ram? Or can I purchase two of the 8gb of ram to make my macbook have 16 gb of ram....either way...if I can double the size of my ram for 30 or quadruple it for 60 i would be very pleased...any help is appreciated

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdizzle View Post
    ok...i have a question....i have had multiple iPhones....this is my first macbook....i just purchased a 13 inch macbook pro a couple months ago....it came with 4gb of ram...so for $30 I can buy basically double the size of my ram? Or can I purchase two of the 8gb of ram to make my macbook have 16 gb of ram....either way...if I can double the size of my ram for 30 or quadruple it for 60 i would be very pleased...any help is appreciated
    16GB of 1333MHz Laptop RAM is very, very expensive. 8GB is much cheaper. Go ahead and upgrade, it's pretty cheap and I think it will bring more optimization to your computer. I originally had 4GB of RAM in my computer, but after opening a few intensive programs, I had around 200MB of free RAM left and my system started to choke. Since upgrading to 8GB, I have always had at least 4GB free, and no slowdowns when opening numerous applications.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaMan05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdizzle View Post
    yes you can get 8gb that easily

but not 16gb, you only have 2 slots. so would have to get 2x8gb which is mad expensive right now

Thanks

Coz this is DDR3

Old macs uses DDR2

Thanks

Will this work on my Mid 2009 Macbook Pro?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaMan05 View Post
    yes you can get 8gb that easily

but not 16gb, you only have 2 slots. so would have to get 2x8gb which is mad expensive right now
    Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    16GB of 1333MHz Laptop RAM is very, very expensive. 8GB is much cheaper. Go ahead and upgrade, it's pretty cheap and I think it will bring more optimization to your computer. I originally had 4GB of RAM in my computer, but after opening a few intensive programs, I had around 200MB of free RAM left and my system started to choke. Since upgrading to 8GB, I have always had at least 4GB free, and no slowdowns when opening numerous applications.
    Thanks for the info and the help

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does this work with the Mac Mini???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azxken View Post
    Does this work with the Mac Mini???
    Yes it does.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I payed $110 for 8GB for my Mac Mini I February, wow, but at least I got a lifetime warranty on the RAM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KuRuPtIoN View Post
    Will this work on my Mid 2009 Macbook Pro?
    Yes, it will just be slowed to 1066 by the processor, but you will be in essence doubling your current speed (assuming you have the standard 4gb that you got it with).

I have a 2.53 ghz 15" MBP from 2009 and just ordered mine. I made sure to do the research a couple days ago in preparation for someone somewhere putting memory on sale for the holidays.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 2009 macbookpro
    Quote Originally Posted by duromega View Post
    Coz this is DDR3

Old macs uses DDR2
    My 2009 macbook pro uses 2 2gb DDR3 would it still work for me?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone know of a sweet deal like this in Australia, or somewhere that ships to Australia?
    Last edited by azdaspaz; 11-24-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

According to my research it will work just fine on my mid 2010 27inch iMac.

Ordered and ready for 12GB of RAM pwnage