+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Crucial 128GB Solid State Drive MacBook Pro Upgrade

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Upgrading to a solid state drive is like getting your first Mac; there's no going back. A solid state drive is a disk drive that is comprised of flash memory.
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Crucial 128GB Solid State Drive MacBook Pro Upgrade

Upgrading to a solid state drive is like getting your first Mac; there's no going back.

A solid state drive is a disk drive that is comprised of flash memory. They are super fast, super durable, super quiet, and super power-efficient. Along with that, they are super expensive. The standard storage drive for most computers is a hard disk drive, which is a cheaper alternative to computer storage than solid state storage. Hard disk drives use magnetic technology to store data on a literal hard metal disk. This makes them vulnerable to magnet damage, and since it is comprised of moving parts, it uses more power and it can be detrimental if dropped or not handled correctly. A solid state drive on the other hand, can be dropped, hit, pummeled by magnets, no matter what, it can usually survive. Solid state memory is used today in commercial jet airliners in something called the black box. It is used to store sounds that come from the cockpit; these are also known as CVR/FDR (Cockpit Voice Recorder/Flight Data Recorder)'s and they can be used in the event that there is a plane crash to help learn what caused the crash. Yes; solid state memory takes a huge beating in a plane crash and it survives. They don't use hard disk drives because they are sensitive to movement which could damage the data.

Crucial is a good company for buying solid state drives from. Albeit expensive for equal storage in hard disk drive form, there is no comparison to the speeds of a solid state drive. Just like the iPad, a solid state drive can make your computer have that 'instant on' effect. Anyone who has used a newer generation MacBook Air knows the glory and benefits of flash storage over a traditional hard disk dive. Applications open faster, the operating system boots up faster, and data is written much faster than if you had used a hard disk drive.

I bought a 128GB Crucial solid state drive a couple of weeks ago and I have been toying around with it ever since. The first picture of this review is the underbelly of my 13-inch MacBook pro with the Crucial solid state drive installed in the lower left of the computer case. It's a 2.5 inch solid state memory case with all of the specifications on it and it is connected inside of the computer the same way that a hard disk drive is; with a SATA connector and power supply. Since getting the solid state drive, I've been launching a myriad of applications at once (60 or more) and all of the applications open within 20 seconds. Opening any application, one at a time, only takes less than a mere second. On a hard disk drive, opening certain applications can take upwards of around 20 seconds (Final Cut Pro, Adobe Photoshop, iWork applications). The solid state drive also brings boot speeds to a better speed than with the 5400RPM stock hard disk drive that came with this MacBook Pro. With the stock hard disk drive, booting up to Mac OS X Lion took around 40 seconds. After installing the solid state drive, it takes around 6 seconds. This is a major improvement over the slow 5400RPM hard disk drive.

To show you all some of the benefits of the speed differences, I downloaded an application in the Mac App Store known as Blackmagic Disk Speed Test which can be downloaded for free here. Below are two pictures; the first one is the 5400RPM hard disk drive's read and write speeds. Under that is the solid state drive's read and write speeds:

You can see that the speed increases are not marginal, but quite the contrary. The speed differences are tremendous. Since images alone are not cool enough to show off of the speed differences of the upgrade, I composed a video showing the difference in speed by duplicating a 740MB video file. The test was done on the same MacBook Pro with the same hardware; the only difference being a hard disk drive and a solid state drive. So the test is accurate to a tee. Additionally, duplicating a file with Mac OS X demonstrates both read and write speeds, as the drive has to read the original file to write a copy of it. Here is the comparison:

The solid state drive was done within seconds; the hard disk drive took over a minute. Over time, these speed differences make a huge difference in your computing. I am very happy with the upgrade.

MacBook Pro 13" original hard disk drive specifications:
    5400RPM Seagate 320GB; 2.5 inch hard disk drive

MacBook Pro 13" new solid state drive specifications:
    NAND Crucial M4 128GB; 2.5 inch solid state drive

All in all, I've noticed better battery life, better speeds, and a better computer. I recommend the Crucial solid state drive upgrade. Crucial manufactures RAM and solid state upgrades for just about any computer on the market. They operate from a company called Micron which produces their memory upgrades. The pricing is great. I got myself an 8GB RAM upgrade for only $50 there; doing so through Apple would have cost me $200. I highly recommend the solid state drive upgrade to anyone who is serious about boosting the speed of their computer. It comes with a price tag; but I couldn't be happier with the end results.

You can pick up a Crucial solid state drive for yourself from Crucial's Web Site or you can order the same 128GB 2.5 inch model that I bought by clicking here.

The cost lineup for one of Crucial's solid state drives are as follows:
    • 64GB - $118.99
    • 128GB - $209.99
    • 256GB - $410.99
    • 512GB - $794.99
    So folks, are you interested in upgrading to solid state storage? Share in the comments below!

Sources: Crucial

Thanks

Oh man, hope SSD could be the standard device in MACs

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The most important thing about SSDs is their lack of moving parts, which makes random access the clear and single-most important advantage, more than just raw sequential throughput. Also, HDD prices have tripled to quadrupled in the past few weeks as a scam run by hard drive manufacturers to profit from a flood in Thailand, so SSDs are kind of more worth it right now than before.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

he biggest thing about SSDs is getting people to rethink $/GB. If you look at it that way, these things seem horribly expensive. In their current state, they aren't really meant to completely replace your entire storage (which is what most people look for, I think). I have switched all of my computers over to SSD and have large external enclosures for storing files, mostly media.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    just did the benchmark on my 320GB 7200RPM TOSHIBA, HP Laptop, transfer rate is 23.6 MB/S.. that sucks !but this means that you have to buy an SSD ( in israel 128GB will cost at least 350$-450$ ) another external harddisk to carry with you.. hope prices can drop down before my next laptop.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jobran View Post
    just did the benchmark on my 320GB 7200RPM TOSHIBA, HP Laptop, transfer rate is 23.6 MB/S.. that sucks !but this means that you have to buy an SSD ( in israel 128GB will cost at least 350$-450$ ) another external harddisk to carry with you.. hope prices can drop down before my next laptop.
    You don't have to get an external hard disk drive. But it is an option. Pretty soon I will be reviewing the OWC Data Doubler so that you will be able to see what I mean by saying that you don't have to have an external hard drive. The OWC Data Doubler lets you sacrifice your DVD drive to add a second disk drive to your MacBook Pro

Since it does sacrifice the DVD/CD drive, it won't be for everyone. But I rarely use it, so I bought one.

Thanks

WAY 2 PRICEY ...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    You don't have to get an external hard disk drive. But it is an option. Pretty soon I will be reviewing the OWC Data Doubler so that you will be able to see what I mean by saying that you don't have to have an external hard drive. The OWC Data Doubler lets you sacrifice your DVD drive to add a second disk drive to your MacBook Pro

Since it does sacrifice the DVD/CD drive, it won't be for everyone. But I rarely use it, so I bought one.

great, waiting for the next review
    will tha work with win7?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ramicio View Post
    The most important thing about SSDs is their lack of moving parts, which makes random access the clear and single-most important advantage, more than just raw sequential throughput. Also, HDD prices have tripled to quadrupled in the past few weeks as a scam run by hard drive manufacturers to profit from a flood in Thailand, so SSDs are kind of more worth it right now than before.
    Phew glad I got my 4 x 2tb drives for 69$ each about a month ago... I was wondering why the same drive was getting ridiculously more expensive all of a sudden.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jobran View Post
    great, waiting for the next review
    will tha work with win7?
    Of course, it will work with any MacBook Pro, so that means it will work with any operating system you have on it

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I replaced my MacBook Pros DVD Drive with a 120GB SSD a few months ago and love the speed SSD gives everything.

Thanks

I'm getting 75MB/s Wire and 85MB/s read on my 500GB Seagate Momentus XT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    I'm getting 75MB/s Wire and 85MB/s read on my 500GB Seagate Momentus XT
    That's a 7200RPM hard disk drive.

7200RPM hard disk drives are faster than 5400RPM hard disk drives.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

I haven't even heard if this!! It sounds awesome. Are you saying that I can keep my 750 GB 7200RPM and add a 128 GB SSD? This would be fantastic! I'm going to go check it out now but I'm looking forward to your review. I haven't used my DVD drive in a while and it's actually starting to give me problems. Good riddance.
    Last edited by trevorrawson; 11-23-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    I haven't even heard if this!! It sounds awesome. Are you saying that I can keep my 750 GB 7200RPM and add a 128 GB SSD? This would be fantastic! I'm going to go check it out now but I'm looking forward to your review. I haven't used my DVD drive in a while and it's actually starting to give me problems. Good riddance.
    That's exactly what I'm saying

OWC Data Doubler

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've bought crucial M4 256GB for my macbook pro 13" mid-2009, 6 months ago, is like I bought a new macbook pro. Extremely fast. With HDD the mac boot in almost a minute but with SSD takes now 17 sec. All the apps boot in a second. This is must have on your mac. Believe me

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

A ssd is the single handed best upgrade you can do to any computer be it mac or pc. You will be amazed at how your computer performs with one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Commandor View Post
    Oh man, hope SSD could be the standard device in MACs
    Hope not it will give apple a reason to charge you $1000 more for a Mac. When you can do it your self for way cheaper.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Save 45 Bux
    The price of the OWC or the MCE bay is beyond stupid. Save urself 45-70 dollars on the caddy itself: MAC-CADDY 2.5" SATA-to-SATA Hard Drive Bay Caddy for MacBooks Unibody

You are also way better off to replace your primary drive with the SSD, and make the secondary drive something like a 500-1TB drive, and config ur Mac to put the HD to sleep whenever possible. The system will boot up and run far faster, and your battery life will be dramatically improved. I'm running a Crucial 250 primary and a Samsung 1TB in a 3+ yr old Alum Unibody Macbook with 8 GB of RAM and it's stupid fast for VMware Fusion, and has tons of storage. Got a new battery too, and for 500 bux basically have a whole new computer instead of buying a new one at probably 3-4K the way I would want to configure it. If I get another 2 years out of it, will have been totally worth the money. I have beat that thing all over Iraq and Afghanistan for years.

Thanks

I recall reading in a couple of your reviews that every review at MMi has a giveaway... Gimme gimmee!!