+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Was A Genius Check Out How He Brainstormed At NeXt Computer

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
It's no surprise that Steve Jobs was a genius businessman. Steve Jobs was a genius. He was a business professional, a salesman wizard. If something needed to be done to
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Steve Jobs Was A Genius Check Out How He Brainstormed At NeXt Computer

It's no surprise that Steve Jobs was a genius businessman.

Steve Jobs was a genius. He was a business professional, a salesman wizard. If something needed to be done to sell a product, Jobs knew how to do it. In these videos, found by The Next Web, we are able to see some internal videos of how Jobs saw business. We can also see how he ingeniously pieced together data to know exactly what he needed to know to make his company successful. These videos are from when he was with NeXt. But, as we all know by now, NeXt was bought by Apple and Jobs returned to Apple at that time.

In these videos, Jobs sits down with the NeXt crew to discuss what they need to do to provide excellent products. He sits them down to tell them what other companies are doing, and then tries to figure out how to do it better. He looks for weak points in their strategies that he can exploit to come up ahead. He looks for what the market wants so that he can make something that will feed it.

Some of the companies that he examines include IBM, Sun, and HP. We know these names today. IBM is still a company that helps make hardware, Sun hosts Java for us, and HP continues to be an OEM for PC's. Apple, as we know, does all of those things. Apple makes their own hardware, their own software, and their own Java. Steve wanted Apple to do more than one thing, so that buyers into the Apple market would buy into everything else so that everything would just fall into place. That same logic, is the magic behind Apple's multi-billion dollar company today. They are in the personal computer business, the tablet computer business, the smartphone business, the music business, the video business, the software business, the accessory business, and more.

Taking a look at just how Jobs brainstormed with his workers, with these outside-the-box brainstorming sessions, we can see why Apple is as successful as it is today.

Sources: The Next Web

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am not one to nit-pick, but nothing about these videos shows that "Steve Jobs was a genius". He understood the market and understood what people wanted. Nothing about the videos even shows/claims how much of this knowledge was truly his. I am sure he played a big part, but I was hoping to see something groundbreaking. Instead I saw somewhat of a business plan...

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I am not one to nit-pick, but nothing about these videos shows that "Steve Jobs was a genius". He understood the market and understood what people wanted. Nothing about the videos even shows/claims how much of this knowledge was truly his. I am sure he played a big part, but I was hoping to see something groundbreaking. Instead I saw somewhat of a business plan...
    By now, we should all have enough external knowledge to know that Jobs was a genius. I think that's a given. But by the video you can check out and learn his business plan techniques which will inspire us all.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Bill Gates was the genius. Not in systems but marketing. He got the public hooked on several products. Jobs did that with the iPhone certainly. Afterward he was able to keep the iPhone out front when competition ensued. I just don't think Jobs did it as well as Gates. They each made key decisions at critical times and both did well.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,864 Times in 2,205 Posts

Comparing Bill Gates to Steve Jobs is like comparing apples to oranges. Gates made what?? Software and a whopping 3 products I can count gates made an os, microsoft office, and the dreaded Zune. The Zune flopped. Microsoft is a software company. They never did anything hardware. apple made both and does them both exceptionally well the iPhone being probably the biggest. But let's not forget the iPod he revolutionized music and the way we listen.

Apple wasn't about making just another computer or product they are about revolutionizing an industry they keep rethinking what is possible. Apple doesn't have to be a marketing expert the products they produce speak for them selves. I can't name one person who doesn't have an isomething.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdivitt View Post
    Bill Gates was the genius. Not in systems but marketing. He got the public hooked on several products. Jobs did that with the iPhone certainly. Afterward he was able to keep the iPhone out front when competition ensued. I just don't think Jobs did it as well as Gates. They each made key decisions at critical times and both did well.
    Bill Gates was a crook. If it was not for Steve Jobs MS would not be around today. He never did any thing but build Basic computer language. He is not smart at all. He stole Apple windows OS and from that on what else didi he do. Nothing!!!! Bill gate once said I wish I had Steve Jobs taste.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iphone333 View Post
    Bill Gates was a crook. If it was not for Steve Jobs MS would not be around today. He never did any thing but build Basic computer language. He is not smart at all. He stole Apple windows OS and from that on what else didi he do. Nothing!!!! Bill gate once said I wish I had Steve Jobs taste.
    And they "stole" it from Xerox.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 11-21-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,864 Times in 2,205 Posts

Great companies steal
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

"Steve Jobs was a genius - Watch how he used to eat an enchilada"I have a lot of respect for Steve but i mean come on, the video itself in no way shows him doing anything above average intelligence. And all this Bill Gates vs Steve jobs crap i mean come on they are both hugely successful and so different to compare, gates = computer smart, jobs = business smart.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iphone333 View Post
    Lol? If I wanted Steve jobs taste I would get Linux pretty it up and sell for thousands of dollars to people that buy something that's free.
    IRTROLLSTARTER :F
    Personally all I saw jobs do was "make better"
    I saw gates as someone who tried to make "new" things

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    By now, we should all have enough external knowledge to know that Jobs was a genius. I think that's a given. But by the video you can check out and learn his business plan techniques which will inspire us all.
    If he's such a genius then why is every idea of the iphone stolen from somewhere else?
    Just about everything in IOS is from a cydia app and IOS 5 is more like a copy of Android so he's not a genius he's just a thief and got away with it.
    I'm still to see something in IOS thats new and original and not stolen from somewhere else.
    Notification Center - Android
    Messenger - Blackberry
    Siri - the app Siri that worked on every iPhone now limited to 4S
    The App Store - Installer & Cydia
    Wifi Sync - ActiveSync + Windows Mobile and earlier.
    See, these are just a few things in IOS that are stolen from other places so how can you call anyone that works in IOS a genius?

There are brown nosing fans that will believe anything he said but if you step back and had a look at the real world you would see everything is just stolen from somewhere else. If everything was not stolen then prove me wrong and show me something original in IOS.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 696 Posts

Jobs was very clever but not a genius, he was an exceptional salesman, he new what would sell and what was marketable and how to put it across so it would sell, but a genius, No

he didn't code any of the apps we see him using, and I'll stick to that unless there is a video of him coding the apps

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Comparing Bill Gates to Steve Jobs is like comparing apples to oranges. Gates made what?? Software and a whopping 3 products I can count gates made an os, microsoft office, and the dreaded Zune. The Zune flopped. Microsoft is a software company. They never did anything hardware. apple made both and does them both exceptionally well the iPhone being probably the biggest. But let's not forget the iPod he revolutionized music and the way we listen.

Apple wasn't about making just another computer or product they are about revolutionizing an industry they keep rethinking what is possible. Apple doesn't have to be a marketing expert the products they produce speak for them selves. I can't name one person who doesn't have an isomething.
    Steve Jobs was an end user he always asked techs if they could do what he wanted and pushed them to do it the mac, iPad, iPod, laptops, Apple T.V. and the iPhone are all testament to that fact. Never do we see Steve Jobs designing, coding or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy
    Great companies steal
    its funny isn't it they wouldn't like you stealing their car, tv or iPhone (the list goes on), but it's ok to steal an idea or design, it also proves the patent system doesn't work and is just a source for taking money off one another and getting publicity
    Last edited by dsg; 11-21-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Yes, but the title implies that these videos Will showcase sad genius. I can also title this video "Steve jobs was a man who loved his wife..." I know that to be true, but it's an unnecessary addition to the title of the. Idea for obvious reasons. What I am saying is that his genius has absolutely no relevance in this article which highlights these videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    But let's not forget the iPod he revolutionized music and the way we listen.
    I'd day iTunes is more revolutionary than the iPod. We didn't have a digital music store before iTunes. We had plenty of mp3 players before the iPod though. The iPod wasn't a new concept like the digital music store was. The way we listen to music was not at all revolutionized. The way we buy it certainly was.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieranl89 View Post
    "Steve Jobs was a genius - Watch how he used to eat an enchilada"I have a lot of respect for Steve but i mean come on, the video itself in no way shows him doing anything above average intelligence. And all this Bill Gates vs Steve jobs crap i mean come on they are both hugely successful and so different to compare, gates = computer smart, jobs = business smart.
    Thank you. My point exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    If he's such a genius then why is every idea of the iphone stolen from somewhere else?
    Just about everything in IOS is from a cydia app and IOS 5 is more like a copy of Android so he's not a genius he's just a thief and got away with it.
    I'm still to see something in IOS thats new and original and not stolen from somewhere else.
    Notification Center - Android
    Messenger - Blackberry
    Siri - the app Siri that worked on every iPhone now limited to 4S
    The App Store - Installer & Cydia
    Wifi Sync - ActiveSync + Windows Mobile and earlier.
    See, these are just a few things in IOS that are stolen from other places so how can you call anyone that works in IOS a genius?

There are brown nosing fans that will believe anything he said but if you step back and had a look at the real world you would see everything is just stolen from somewhere else. If everything was not stolen then prove me wrong and show me something original in IOS.
    We tend to fall into this idea that jobs created iPhone and everything there is to do about iPhone. Fact is apple wouldn't have as many designers and engineers employed if this one man just spewed all of these ideas and turned them into reality. He was clever at knowing what sorts of things consumers wanted before they knew they wanted them (a lot of that has to do with a knack for convincing people they want something - great marketing as has been mentioned before). In short Steve is way too over-glorified in this article and by many people. It's the sort of thing that happens when a person is idolized.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-21-2011 at 12:58 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 696 Posts

the iPod came from a british citizen that invented a digital music player but he couldn't afford to renew his pattern, Apple bought the pattern, made the iPod and Madoff with millions

Steve Jobs wasn't a Genius, he was A Magpie (which seems to be fair game in the world of computing, had it being in any other field it would be plagiarism or theft)

Edit: he was a Genius if it came to ripping other peoples ideas and selling them in a new way to make a **** load of money, like the computer mouse which belonged to Xerox
    Last edited by dsg; 11-21-2011 at 01:31 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

"Steve Jobs Was A Genius "Are you gonna blow him anytime soon?

Banned
    Thanks

We tend to fall into this idea that jobs created iPhone and everything there is to do about iPhone. Fact is apple wouldn't have as many designers and engineers employed if this one man just spewed all of these ideas and turned them into reality. He was clever at knowing what sorts of things consumers wanted before they knew they wanted them (a lot of that has to do with a knack for convincing people they want something - great marketing as has been mentioned before). In short Steve is way too over-glorified in this article and by many people. It's the sort of thing that happens when a person is idolized.
    Still when you say "He was clever at knowing what sorts of things consumers wanted before they knew they wanted them" then why is the iPhone a piece of crap until its jailbroken?
    It's NOT what the consumer wants. We want OUR iPhone the way WE want it NOT the way Jobs wants it. We also wanted it with Flash but we never got it so Apple did it the way he wanted it and he didn't have a clue what the consumer wanted. If the iPhone is so good then why are Android phones selling so well? It's because thats more to what everyone wants. The only reason people still get an iPhone is because the apps are better on the iPhone than on the Android but the Android is a better phone.

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    the iPod came from a british citizen that invented a digital music player but he couldn't afford to renew his pattern, Apple bought the pattern, made the iPod and Madoff with millions

Steve Jobs wasn't a Genius, he was A Magpie (which seems to be fair game in the world of computing, had it being in any other field it would be plagiarism or theft)

Edit: he was a Genius if it came to ripping other peoples ideas and selling them in a new way to make a **** load of money, like the computer mouse which belonged to Xerox
    EXACTLY! Have to agree with you 100%. He's a Magpie, a scavenger, a low life that steals others ideas then makes money from them.
    I cant wait to see how the iPhone evolves from now on without Jobs getting in the way. IF Apple listen to the consumer they MIGHT actually make a good phone and one that consumers might actually want.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NakedFaerie For This Useful Post:

dsg (11-21-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I agree 100%. It's interesting to see how the PC/Workstation market worked back then.
    27" iMac: Quad-Core 2.93GHz i7 & 16GB RAM
    iPhone 4S: 64GB iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPad 2: 32GB iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPod Touch 3rd Gen iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPod Classic (thick) 160GB

Thanks

totally agree with sziklassywhilst he was a brilliant man, this article and the videos do nothing for him...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Still when you say "He was clever at knowing what sorts of things consumers wanted before they knew they wanted them" then why is the iPhone a piece of crap until its jailbroken?
    It's NOT what the consumer wants. We want OUR iPhone the way WE want it NOT the way Jobs wants it. We also wanted it with Flash but we never got it so Apple did it the way he wanted it and he didn't have a clue what the consumer wanted. If the iPhone is so good then why are Android phones selling so well? It's because thats more to what everyone wants. The only reason people still get an iPhone is because the apps are better on the iPhone than on the Android but the Android is a better phone.

EXACTLY! Have to agree with you 100%. He's a Magpie, a scavenger, a low life that steals others ideas then makes money from them.
    I cant wait to see how the iPhone evolves from now on without Jobs getting in the way. IF Apple listen to the consumer they MIGHT actually make a good phone and one that consumers might actually want.
    Oh wow, where to even begin? Im no apple fan boy, but you can't be serious? "Android is a better phone?" Android isn't a phone it is an OS. How can you say consumers don't want the iphone when the 4s sold 4 million in a single weekend? Android has just about every app the iphone does. People choose android over ios based on nothing more than preference, they are both great platforms. As far as Steve Jobs goes, its pretty obvious the man was a genius, I don't see you at the top of apple.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Flash is dead. Steve Jobs was right about not having it in iOS. HTML5 is taking over. And android is an OS, not a phone. It is an awesome OS, I'll say that! I love all the customization options you have. But with that comes viruses and malware, which iOS doesn't have. And alot of android phones have better specs than the iPhone. But the thing is, the companies don't do a good job of making the hardware and software work well together. As a result, you get a sluggish, not smooth running device. Also, android took many features from iOS such as an app market a homescreen with an array of icons. Android was released after iOS. And have oh seen the new android 4.0 folders? Complete rip off of iOS. Jailbroken iOS>Android. Case closed.
    Last edited by iPod; 11-21-2011 at 06:55 AM.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

22. The Following User Says Thank You to iPod For This Useful Post:

dsg (11-21-2011)