Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Run Windows Applications On Mac OS X

Hybrid View

Default [How To] Run Windows Applications On Mac OS X

Want to be able to run Windows applications on Mac OS X without a virtual machine?

Apple computer users have used virtual machines programs such as Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion to run Windows on their machines for ages now. Apple even implemented a feature called Bootcamp so that Mac users can install Windows on a second partition of their storage drive and boot up to it as a second operating system. But, what if you want to run Windows' .exe programs directly from your Mac operating system? This has been impossible until now. In the Mac App Store, you can download an application called WinOnX. This application doesn't require you to have any instance of Windows on your computer. Instead, you can download .exe (executable) applications to run directly from this program virtually. So in simpler words: you can run Windows applications on your Mac computer without Windows installed.

Here's how:

Download WinOnX from the Mac App Store. It will cost you $4.99. After downloading WinOnX, find a .exe program that you wish to run, for example, Mozilla Firefox for Windows and download it. Once it downloads, you can double-click it to run it like you could with any .app application on your Mac computer. WinOnX will run you through installing and using the Windows application like you would on Windows, only on your Mac instead. Running Firefox for Windows on your Mac will yield this look:

This option will cost you some money, but it uses a lot less disk space for Mac users. If you have a solid state drive like me, you may select this option instead of dual booting in order to save storage drive space. Redmond Pie recommends that you just buy a new PC to install Windows programs on, because Mac is beautiful on its own.

Name: WinOnX
    Price: $4.99
    Version: 1.0.1
    Developer: Hisham El-Emam – NES Software
    Editor's Rating:  3/5

Alternatively, you can try the free application: WineBottler.

What do you think? Will you be trying WinOnX? Share in the comments below!

Sources: Redmond Pie
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-19-2011 at 12:09 PM.

That's just basically a copy of the Wine/Winebottler source code. Go download Winebottler, it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by J Sweeney View Post
    That's just basically a copy of the Wine/Winebottler source code. Go download Winebottler, it's free.
    Cool idea :P

Exactly a copy of it up on the App Store to take money from us...

You can also blatantly see the Wine app's logo right there.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 7,007 Posts

You can also blatantly see the Wine app's logo right there.
    You make it sound like this is some underhanded thing. On the app store the app's description has right it in that it is based on the open source wine project.

Can I use this to run Internet explorer?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Author, maybe you should write about CrossOver as well, eh?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's kinda pointless to demo this App to run a Windows Program that's already available as a native Mac App!

It'd make a bit more sense to demo running a Windows only App.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    It's kinda pointless to demo this App to run a Windows Program that's already available as a native Mac App!

It'd make a bit more sense to demo running a Windows only App.
    You can always download it yourself and try it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Has someone instal a game? Dose it runs smoothly? For example LoL

Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 7,007 Posts

I have tried this one and Crossover and both work well for me. I mainly use them for Microsoft publisher.

How about the other way around? install mac on window.(MacOnWin R xOnWin R MacOnX)?
    Last edited by DaLsim; 11-19-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    How about the other way around? install mac on window.(MacOnWin R xOnWin R MacOnX)?
    That's what I'm talking bout'.

I think it's funny how Crapple users are always boasting about how great their mac is yet they ALWAYS have the need to run WINDOWS and WINDOWS APPS on their mac. Funny how the majority of WINDOWS users don't need to run OS X on their PC's.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
    I think it's funny how Crapple users are always boasting about how great their mac is yet they ALWAYS have the need to run WINDOWS and WINDOWS APPS on their mac. Funny how the majority of WINDOWS users don't need to run OS X on their PC's.
    I think it's funny how you take the time to read on an Apple forum just to troll Apple. Ironically enough, I have a Mac with nothing Windows related on it. And I know several PC people that take the time to build Hackintosh computers or use VMWare to run a hacked version of OS X.

Quote Originally Posted by ChSchuldiner View Post
    I think it's funny how you take the time to read on an Apple forum just to troll Apple. Ironically enough, I have a Mac with nothing Windows related on it. And I know several PC people that take the time to build Hackintosh computers or use VMWare to run a hacked version of OS X.
    I think it's funny people like you get all butt hurt when you get called out on something. Needless to say, just because you don't use Windows or have it on your mac isn't really much of a defense, it simply just means that you're a SUPER SIMPLE PERSON who doesn't need anything advanced hence the reason you have a mac in the first place.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it's funny people like you get all butt hurt when you get called out on something. Needless to say, just because you don't use Windows or have it on your mac isn't really much of a defense, it simply just means that you're a SUPER SIMPLE PERSON who doesn't need anything advanced hence the reason you have a mac in the first place.
    I think it's funny that anyone who disagrees with you in inferior to any aspect to which you are arguing about. PC fanboys fail.

Quote Originally Posted by ChSchuldiner View Post
    I think it's funny that anyone who disagrees with you in inferior to any aspect to which you are arguing about. PC fanboys fail.
    WHAT?? That didn't even make any sense! Anyone who "disagrees with you in inferior"?? I think you need to get a grammar book on your mac and learn something. Mac fanboys FTL

Just for the record it's not about being a fanboy, I just call it like I see it. That's all the majority of mac users do is boast about how great their mac is yet on the flip side they always talk about needing to run windows on their mac so that they can do this and that. That's a FACT!

Ive had VMWare on my mbp for three years..... Ive used it maybe 3 times?...just sayin...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast