+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Obsessed with Three Reinventions Before His Death

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Steve Jobs Obsessed with Three Reinventions Before His Death

Steve Jobs biographer Walter Isaacson reveals in a new interview that the late Apple CEO was obsessed with reinventing the wheel so to speak with regard to television, textbooks and photography. In the last weeks of his life, Isaacson admits, Jobs would often speak of these three things he wholeheartedly wanted to "reinvent."

"He really wanted to take these on. I didn’t go into details about these products in the book because it was implicitly Apple’s creations and it’s not fair to the company to reveal these details," Isaacson tells the New York Times. "But, he did talk about the television. He told me he’d “licked it” and once said, 'There’s no reason you should have all these complicated remote controls.'"

Industry analysts had concluded long before Steve Jobs revealed his desire to reinvent the HDTV that Apple would soon debut a new product category and launch an iOS-powered connected HDTV.

While not sharing any new insights into potential forthcoming products, Isaacson did speak to the reports of Steve Jobs being a "jerk" and otherwise difficult to work for due to his insatiable quest for perfection.

"The theme of the book is that the intensity and passion that is reflected in his personality is part and parcel of Steve," Isaacson says. "It was what made him able to change things; to invent things; to make amazing products. He could be perceived as a jerk because he was brutally honest with people. But his petulance was connected to his perfectionism. If he were truly a jerk, he wouldn’t have built a team at Apple that was more loyal than any other top executives in America."

To read the full interview, click here.

Source: New York Times

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Do people really find "normal" HDTVs that complicated to use? I can see the allure of having just an all-in-one TV/cable box/media streamer/HTPC. But I somehow doubt that'd make watching TV any easier. Or maybe I'm just overestimating the intelligence of people.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itaintrite View Post
    Do people really find "normal" HDTVs that complicated to use? I can see the allure of having just an all-in-one TV/cable box/media streamer/HTPC. But I somehow doubt that'd make watching TV any easier. Or maybe I'm just overestimating the intelligence of people.
    I think its more of how you USE a TV. There was MP3 players when the iPod came out but just was a new way to use it. I think he may have done it with a TV where you don't have your UP and DOWN buttons for channels but more of a simple interface to use.

What's Jailbreak? chrismonster16's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    I think its more of how you USE a TV. There was MP3 players when the iPod came out but just was a new way to use it. I think he may have done it with a TV where you don't have your UP and DOWN buttons for channels but more of a simple interface to use.
    Look at how hard some of the MP3 players are to use. They have about 400 buttons on them and a ton of different screens and button presses to get to where you want. The iPod was a different way to use that and everyone loved it because it was a change from the traditional MP3 player. Same with the iPhone. The iPhone revolutionized the way everyone uses phones. Now Steve wanted to change the way the traditional TV is used. "This changes everything"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    no offence, but it is people like you that mad steve successful.

Remember? People said, what do we need an ipod for? What do we need an ipad for?

He then proceeded to invent a creative solution that would answer that question fully and completely.

Thanks

Do You believe that steve jobs really dead is what there is never shown funeral

What's Jailbreak? chrismonster16's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zubeyir View Post
    Do You believe that steve jobs really dead is what there is never shown funeral
    You don't keep up on the news very much do you?

Thanks

CAN YOU MAYBE LIKE PUT SPOILER ALERT IN THE TITLE?!!! for the people who havent read the book yet but willl soon, like me.... thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indyracer05 View Post
    CAN YOU MAYBE LIKE PUT SPOILER ALERT IN THE TITLE?!!! for the people who havent read the book yet but willl soon, like me.... thanks!
    This wasn't in the book, homie. Reread the first sentence
    Last edited by redline11786; 11-18-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i love apple but i defiantly agree with your statement

Thanks

For most of us on here no, I don't think "normal" HDTV's are all the complicated. And probably anybody under 35 or so that grew up in an age where we're used to technology changing so rapidly find them hard to use. But as far as smooth and easy to use, I'd say their not. They're not hard, but they're not simple. Watching my father fumble with remotes, blaming the tv or the att box is rather comical, but very frustrating for him. And for those out there who could care less about technology it's infuriating. Not to mention every time I go to someones house and try to figure out how to control their set up it takes a while. Everyone has different ways of setting up inputs and auxiliary options. I have an all in one harmony remote that I can't imagine it being simpler, but some people get so confused by it I am in awe. Just become something might not be hard or complicated to use...doesn't mean that they can't be improved.

Thanks

The easiest way to operate the TV would be Siri!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a remote to my TV, DVR, Surround Sound, and XBox360. It would be nice if a TV just integrated all of my stuff seamlessly. Sorta like OSX does with wireless printers and cross platform communication. OSX stuff works the way "normal" people think it should. It would be great for TV to be as seamless and intuitive as OSX/iOS products.
    Thats the point - not that it is hard to use.

Thanks

I use satellite tv from sky uk , which is simple to use , problem with apple products ( itunes match for example ) are only in the usa , with no dates for europe , between my satellite tv , apple tv and xbox i can stream and watch whatever i want , and its all simple to use , an ios tv would be like the iphone/ipad full of bugs and constant upgrades needed, plus a real apple tvwill probably cost 3x the price of a good hd tv , think apple are too late to jump on this bandwagon , better they develop a new iphone thats on time and upto all the hype apple gives , love apple products but do feel that they seem to have had the ideas and cant find a better idea , the iphone 4s is a good example a rushed out iphone as the real iphone 5 was not ready , its a nice phone but not worth the upgrade if you own an iphone4

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think it is, as some other people mentioned, about changing the way we use TVs. They can still be tricky to set up, when connecting speakers and Xbox's together and all. All of us here are technically-inclined people, and maybe I'm just stupider than you all but, while it's not *hard* to use a TV, it's still quite annoying. And I'm not sure if it's just me but remotes *are* way too complicated, and menus can be a pain to go through. Like sometimes I have to go through the box's menu and sometimes the TV's.

Pre-iPhone phones weren't necessarily hard to use; they were very boring and often tedious to use. And like the iPad, it doesn't even have to be useful. Steve Jobs (and Apple) can almost tell consumers that they want their product. We all know it could be a piece of **** and fanboys (like myself) would still buy it

Thanks
    Complicated? Depends on the brand. What sucks is having a TV, a cable box, a DVR, and a home theater system. If they found a way to make that all work in one device, I'm in.

Thanks

How about a smart TV? When plugged in it knows which cable/satellite operator you have. You don't need to ever remember a channel number because the TV will do that for you. Pick your favorite shows or stations and it tells you when new episodes air or what is on that station at that time. When cable stations change a stations channel number you never need to worry about what show is on which channel. The TV automatically knows and updates itself. It will also be Super Retina HD3D...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    What? WHAT?!? What could be more simple than up or down? What could be more use friendly than up or down? What could be made easier than a list of inputs to choose from? What could be more easier than having numbers 0-9 to press to choose from an infinite number of channels? What could be more simple than on and off?

(I don't mean the next statements to mean you specifically boxxa)

If you can't understand how to use a TV, then you shouldn't be allowed out in public. You're lack of basic instinct and intelligence is both dangerous and shouldn't be allowed to spread through the human gene pool. There is NOTHING more simple that the basic controls on TV. Nothing. It's self explanatory. The iPhone didn't revolutionize anything other than the ubiquity of the touch interface. All the iPhone really ushered in was an all-in-one device. The only difference was that it was the first to do it right. There is nothing Apple could improve on the controls of a television. Nothing. Speaking to it is stupid. Using an iPhone to control it is stupid. Using another layer of interactivity is stupid. To get between a TV and you wanting to change something with a gimmick or device that a basic remote is just fine for is a failure and a stupid idea. The user interface needs no tweaking. It need no extra ******** between me and what I want to watch. It doesn't need apps, it doesn't need Siri. I needs to be a box that displays my content, end of story. The more ******** you pack in there and having an Apple logo on it will make it stupid expensive for nothing gained.

Look, I love Apple. I've had every iPhone made up until the 4S paid out of my pocket, I've got a $3k MacBook Pro I'm tying this on, I have almost every accessory I can find a use for (NO APPLE TV), and I want an iPad so bad I can taste it. Here's the thing though. An Apple branded TV would be stupid. Plain and simple. It would offer you nothing other than the garbage that's already on the Apple TV and a much higher intro cost. I would NEVER pay what Apple wanted for the exact same hardware that a Sony at half the price has. It's not worth the price premium because it'll never offer anything worthwhile. TVs will never be made by Apple, there's no money in it because the margins are razor thin. Apple doesn't play that game. They never have and stupid gimmicks like having Siri on your TV won't get enough people to buy them to turn a profit. Only the true Apple faithful morons would buy a TV from Apple.

It's a stupid idea and it's no wonder all of this revelation about the home television being "cracked" comes out after the dude is dead. You can say whatever you want about what a dead person was thinking because they can't refute your ********. Now that Steve is gone, every moron that thinks this is a good idea have some fantasy revelation that Steve Jobs supposedly had.
    HK-Z™ on Game Center

Green Apple
    Thanks
    An apple designed tv would be a great thing. Imagine how thin and light it would be, integration with Mac osx, along with multitouch gestures and FaceTime. Possibilities are endless... But with the simplicity that apple is known for... A remote with one button...