Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: [How To] Browse Through Your iDevice Easily With iExplorer

Hybrid View

Default [How To] Browse Through Your iDevice Easily With iExplorer

You don't need to input any annoying IP addresses, passwords, or usernames anymore.

iPhone Explorer by MacroPlant is an aging program used in SSH to iDevices. The program has been known as iPhone Explorer for a long time but due to legal issues they had to change their program name to iExplorer. Jailbreakers everywhere know about SSH in that it allows you to edit files stored in your system. SSH also allows you to add files to the system. You can use SSH to install .deb versions of tweaks and packages instead of using Cydia. Most people that use SSH are used to using the old-fashioned IP address, username, and password method to connect to their iDevice over Wi-Fi. This can be slow, annoying, and frustrating.

iExplorer does away with the annoying IP addresses, usernames, and passwords. Simply connect your device to your computer via USB 30-pin connector and your entire device library is available to you:

iExplorer has some perks over other software. Not only can use SSH without annoying codes, but you can also transfer your music library from your iDevice to your computer, or mount your iDevice as a disk so that you can use it as a USB flash drive. So it's a 3-in-1 program that's completely free thanks to MacroPlant. Both Mac users and Windows users can benefit from this awesome software.
    • Download iExplorer for Mac here.
    • Download iExplorer for Windows here.

I've been using this application for ages. It works great. Simply plug in your iDevice and you're 'SSH-ed'. Will you be trying it with your iDevice? Share in the comments!

Sources: MacroPlant
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-17-2011 at 01:22 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (11-17-2011)

This isn't actually SSH'ing into the device though lol
    Do you no what SSH means?

I don't mean this offensively...
    Last edited by metaljay; 11-17-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: to correct editing

Quote Originally Posted by metaljay View Post

It's not SSH'ing you're right. I just want readers to understand that it serves the same purpose as SSH.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoenix3g's Avatar
    Thanks

A little misleading title? But the software is great non the less.

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoenix3g View Post
    A little misleading title? But the software is great non the less.
    I hope the changes to the title will be sufficient enough for future readers.

Thanks

just ssh'd into my usb thumbdrive!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I just used this earlier today! I love it. It's plug and play, and no wifi required so when I'm not at home or at school I can still transfer files between my devices.

You can also use it to theme apps (non stock) on a 4S or other non Jailbroken device. Images inside apps are blacked out however if you have a skin you know works just replace the stock images in an app you want to "theme" with the already themed ones. Reboot device after and done. I have 7 apps fully themed (except the icon) on my 4S presently.
    Thanks PathKiller for the enlightenment
    Last edited by The_Durben; 11-17-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Not to harp on it, but you really need to call it what it is. These types of posts are what help to confuse people. This has nothing to do with SSH.

Does the device have to be Jailbroken to edit the files?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,274 Times in 7,007 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master View Post
    Does the device have to be Jailbroken to edit the files?
    To edit the system (root) files, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    To edit the system (root) files, yes.

Thanks, so that means I would be able to retrieve music, pictures, and other personal items without jailbreaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master View Post
    Thanks, so that means I would be able to retrieve music, pictures, and other personal items without jailbreaking?
    Correct.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Been using this handy little program for almost 2 years now. So much easier than SSH.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

I used to use iExplorer, but last week I was transferring parts from my theme to my iPhone, and iExplorer used >8GB (!!!!) of my memory on my iMac, which is just insane. Went back to Cyberduck.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten16 View Post
    I used to use iExplorer, but last week I was transferring parts from my theme to my iPhone, and iExplorer used >8GB (!!!!) of my memory on my iMac, which is just insane. Went back to Cyberduck.
    That sounds outrageous. It uses less than a few megabytes of RAM on my MacBook Pro.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adayday View Post
    He means that it uses >8GB of hard drive space not memory
    I was referring to the memory. Was transferring like 100MB. Took a lot of time, and memory '-.- Thought it was Ps, but nothing happened when I closed that. 8GB of memory was freed after closing iExplorer =p

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    That sounds outrageous. It uses less than a few megabytes of RAM on my MacBook Pro.
    yeah, I was surprised too '-.- Maybe it was because I was transferring a lot of MB at the same time? I've got no idea, lol.
    If you'd like, follow me on Twitter: @16Maarten
    Master Theme Creator

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I used this app a while ago when it was called iPhone explorer. I still prefer using ssh with usbmuxd. I know you still have to use username and password and jailbreak but It's just the way I have always done it.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Durben View Post
    You can also use it to theme apps (non stock) on a 4S or other non Jailbroken device. Images inside apps are blacked out however if you have a skin you know works just replace the stock images in an app you want to "theme" with the already themed ones. Reboot device after and done. I have 7 apps fully themed (except the icon) on my 4S presently.
    Fo real?

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

this has been out for awhile. Its called ifunbox

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast