+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Expected to Unveil Music Store and iTunes Rival This Afternoon

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Google Expected to Unveil Music Store and iTunes Rival This Afternoon

It's the day many Google fans have been waiting for. This afternoon, Google is widely expected to raise the curtain on its own online music store, a reality that could pose a serious threat to Apple's iTunes for a very long time.

If predictions become reality, Google will debut a storefront that enables users to purchase and store songs online and then access the tunes on multiple devices. This program should give Apple's comparable digital services a run for their money in several key ways.

“They’re coming into this market rather late in the game, where there are large, established players,” Ray Valdes, an analyst at Gartner Inc. tells Bloomberg in reference to Google's music store aspirations. “You can say it’s a saturated market.”

But it's not like Google is coming to the table empty-handed. Google has reportedly already reached an agreement with Sony Corp.'s music unit. Similarly, Vivendi SA (VIV)’s Universal Music Group and EMI Group Ltd. are also believed to be committed to Google's efforts.

Individuals with knowledge of Google's plan say songs will cost somewhere between $0.99 and $1.29 (sound familiar?).

Google's event begins today at 2 p.m. Pacific, 5 p.m. Eastern. You can check out the announcement yourself at that time by accessing youtube.com/android.

Source: Bloomberg

Thanks

If it's anything like the Google+ hype, then we're in for a real treat.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I agree with Gartner. Due to the RIAA and their licensing scheme placing limits on pricing and setup, I am not really sure how many "iTunes" like providers we can have. Amazon, iTunes, now Google Music. iTunes has the hold on the market since most people use it to manage their iPods but what really ground breaking things can Google have that Amazon and iTunes aren't already doing other than easy syncing to Android phones.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it will depend largely on their pricing. It's going to be hard to get
    People to migrate from iTunes without a very
    Compelling reason for it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Home Skillet View Post
    If it's anything like the Google+ hype, then we're in for a real treat.
    Hahaha. True stuff.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'll take anything over the bloated piece of crap that iTunes for Win7 is.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

What they could do is offer cloud storage with actual streaming (not just downloading) that works on all devices. This would get a lot away from iTunes, especially if they tie it in with their Google Music service that will allow them to upload their entire iTunes library to Google and have everything available in one place, making storage on any mobile device a non-issue when it comes to music.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I updated to 10.5.1 just fine. JB on 5.0 Tethered. I even used iCloud without a problem. iCloud is the **** btw. Except it messed up all my album art. But i'm trying to fix. we'll see.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Meh, just one more place to buy music from...

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    What they could do is offer cloud storage with actual streaming (not just downloading) that works on all devices. This would get a lot away from iTunes, especially if they tie it in with their Google Music service that will allow them to upload their entire iTunes library to Google and have everything available in one place, making storage on any mobile device a non-issue when it comes to music.
    It's been done... iTunes Match. While there is a small fee involved it does everything you mentioned.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    It's been done... iTunes Match. While there is a small fee involved it does everything you mentioned.
    If it's done free though...that's where it becomes a real threat.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I will check it out however I like using one program/place to do everything with my iDevices.

Thanks

Silly Google...trying to improve on an idea by offering the same idea.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have been very disappointed in Google's offerings thus far. Android suck out loud and Google+ is a lame Facebook clone. All they have done right, in my opinion, is their search platform. I see no need to stray from iTunes ... they may have some songs in the Google music store not on iTunes, and if so I'll buy those and import into iTunes and iCloud!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    Actually, that's why their first round at the music piece was delayed. They wanted to allowed unlimited streaming of music from their cloud, but the record labels didn't want to allow it. They still won't allow it. That's why Apple had to go to their iCloud streaming alternative. Plus, with iTunes match, you don't have to spend days uploading your music to store in a cloud. Google is just going to copy another service or product Apple provides, so this is old news.

Quote Originally Posted by stickyd8 View Post
    Actually, that's why their first round at the music piece was delayed. They wanted to allowed unlimited streaming of music from their cloud, but the record labels didn't want to allow it. They still won't allow it. That's why Apple had to go to their iCloud streaming alternative. Plus, with iTunes match, you don't have to spend days uploading your music to store in a cloud. Google is just going to copy another service or product Apple provides, so this is old news.
    And Siri is going to destroy their search functionality. They just announced today that iOS 5.1 will have the ability to open apps or turn on/off certain functions. Once they get Siri out of beta and it's API into the hands of 3rd party developers, it's going to explode!
    Last edited by stickyd8; 11-16-2011 at 02:11 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

Gota mess with google one day? Have it, But never use it...