+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stanford University Launches (FREE) iOS 5 App Development Course

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Jobs and Stanford have a good history together. Stanford University is launching a free online class so that students can learn how to develop applications for iOS 5 on Apple's
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Stanford University Launches (FREE) iOS 5 App Development Course

Jobs and Stanford have a good history together.

Stanford University is launching a free online class so that students can learn how to develop applications for iOS 5 on Apple's iDevice lineup. As OSXDaily reports, the lectures for learning the basics for coding in iOS 5 can be downloaded for free from iTunes U. Here's a link to the free download from iTunes. This is a great introductory course from a very good university. I recommend all who are interested in taking up programming for iOS to check out this download so that maybe one day you can become an iOS developer. After all, it's free!

The downloadable lectures in iTunes comes with the following description:
    Quote Originally Posted by iTunes U
    Tools and APIs required to build applications for the iPhone platform using the iPhone SDK. User interface designs for mobile devices and unique user interactions using multitouch technologies. Object-oriented design using model-view-controller pattern, memory management, Objective-C programming language. iPhone APIs and tools including Xcode, Interface Builder and Instruments on Mac OS X. Other topics include: core animation, bonjour networking, mobile device power management and performance considerations.
    iOS 5 development is as fun as development for iOS has always been. Developers really enjoy developing for iOS and many developers wish that they had taken up iOS development instead of what they are already developing for, as we reported yesterday in 91% of app developers prefer the iOS platform. So why not try it out?

Another thing to note is how connected Stanford University was with Steve Jobs. Remember that amazing speech that Steve Jobs gave at Standford University back in 2005?

The free course lectures can be downloaded from iTunes by anyone, but there are of course, some prerequisites as OSXDaily tells us. First, you need a Mac. All great development for iOS is done on a Mac. All of the awesome great developers of the App Store have Macs and they build their applications in xCode. xCode is another tool you will need. It's a Mac-only program that is used to build and structure your applications. You can build Mac OS X applications and iOS applications in xCode. xCode is free in the Mac App Store can be downloaded here. As well as xCode, to build your own iOS applications you will need the iOS SDK (Software Development Kit). That is also a free download and be downloaded here. If you are interested in building applications for iOS, these are some great things to play around with. Also, maybe you will choose to become a jailbreak tweak developer. Jailbreak tweaks are also formed using development tools like xCode and iOS SDK. So if these things sound interesting to you, I hope you will check it out.

Be weary that this material assumes that you have some prior knowledge of C programming. If you don't maybe you can pick up a book, or select a course from a college near you.

Are you interested in learning iOS 5 development? Share in the comments below!

Sources: OSXDaily
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-15-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks

Is there a course for windows users?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tashawn's Avatar
    Thanks

For for limited time or forever?

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

window user here?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i to am a windows user but im really trying to get my hands on a used intel mac cheap to do IOS programming. i have heard of windows users using a virtual pc environment to run OSX and program that way but that tends to be very laggy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tashawn's Avatar
    Thanks

Hackint0sh?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Awesome! I have been watching both the Stanford and Harvard courses on there, but they are all previous versions of Xcode where lines are obsolete. I will definitely be coding to this tonight! Thanks!

Anyone that wants to get started with any programming, I highly recommend the Harvard CS50 course in iTunes U. They start with C and cover java, HTML and other languages. it's an intro class and takes awhile, but it's well worth it.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Dang I wish I lived near that

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    window user here?
    I fail to see the humor? The majority of iOS users are also windows users...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I fail to see the humor? The majority of iOS users are also windows users...
    The humor is the fact that people only buy windows cause they can play games and the laptops and desktops are more affordable

Green Apple
    Thanks

I really want to get into this, but I don't have any C experience. I got xCode when it came out for free as well but it sorta just sits on my dock. Any tips on books/courses I can take to get experience (and free if it's possible, I'm a high school student with no credit card on hand

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    Dang I wish I lived near that
    Not like you need to.. the course is just iTunes U downloadable lectures. You can watch them and teach yourself.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tashawn View Post
    For for limited time or forever?
    Funny....but all of the iphone courses on itunes U are free.
    What makes this one so special other than its IOS5 (current).

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZipZapp View Post
    What makes this one so special other than its IOS5 (current).
    Stanford University is what makes it special in my opinion.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Stanford University is what makes it special in my opinion.
    Like.

And who wouldn't appreciate a free education. Free education from Stanford University? Heck yeah, I'll take it.
    Seriously, thumbs up for Stanford.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kris.barrantes View Post
    i to am a windows user but im really trying to get my hands on a used intel mac cheap to do IOS programming. i have heard of windows users using a virtual pc environment to run OSX and program that way but that tends to be very laggy.
    I've been trying this out. It doesn't seem to be -too- bad, but I have a lot to learn, considering I know nothing about C programming. I'm using VMWare at the moment.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Hare Krishna - thats a good walk
    Hare Krishnas have awesome food

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    The humor is the fact that people only buy windows cause they can play games and the laptops and desktops are more affordable
    Also the majority of the business world uses windows.

Thanks

i have heard of windows users using a virtual pc environment to run OSX and program.
    A lot of them are used for things like mathematical modelling of climate change, objects in space moving around another etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    Also the majority of the business world uses windows.
    Cause there trying to cut spending and save cash it's hard to blame them