+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ultraportable 15'' MacBook Said To Be Due In March 2012

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The folks over at Digitimes are saying that a small number of components for a 15’’ ultra-thin notebook from Apple will begin shipping this month. This is all being said
    Thanks

Default Ultraportable 15'' MacBook Said To Be Due In March 2012

The folks over at Digitimes are saying that a small number of components for a 15’’ ultra-thin notebook from Apple will begin shipping this month. This is all being said with expectations for mass shipments of the notebook beginning in March.

As of right now, Digitimes isn’t clear if the parts are intended for a 15’’ MacBook Air or a thinner 15’’ MacBook Pro. It was previously reported that Apple was trying to make progress in finishing work on a new ultra-thin 15’’ notebook, which was nearing production at the end of October. Digitimes mentioned the following:
    Upstream suppliers of Apple have recently started shipping a small volume of components for a 15-inch ultra-thin notebook model from Apple in November and the device could be either MacBook Air or just a thinner MacBook Pro. The new MacBook is expected to appear as early as the second quarter of 2012, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.
    It seems that the 15’’ MacBook would be using an SSD instead of an HDD much like the current MacBook Air models and would also be foregoing an optical drive. The MacBook Pro line was refreshed earlier this fall with a minor processor, graphics, and storage upgrade so I am a bit skeptical when it comes to thinking about a drastic upgrade due out in March. As always, anything mentioned from Digitimes should be taken with a grain of salt as they seem to have a spotty record when it comes to this type of information.

If a new thinner MacBook Pro were to come out, would you be interested in purchasing it?

Source: Digitimes
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 11-15-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd love a MacBook pro that rivals the weight (though thickness is good too) of the MacBook air. I love my air but it certainly lacks the power that even the base pro units have.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

If it was a pro they'd have to have ram slots not soldered chips, otherwise I could see it might not do so well, personally I think it will be a 15" air and the pro will live on with an optical drive.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mofolo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lukeyb View Post
    If it was a pro they'd have to have ram slots not soldered chips, otherwise I could see it might not do so well, personally I think it will be a 15" air and the pro will live on with an optical drive.
    Optical Drive?
    Apple is phasing out optical drives. They removed it from the Mini, they'll remove it from the Macbook Pro's.
    The iMac's may be spared an optical drive as it is an 'entertainment' device.

Think about it, less CDs/DVDs/BD - more need for iTunes downloads
    Less Application/Game DVD's - more need for Mac AppStore.

Apple is planning to form the industry that maximises profits for them.
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i love my 17" pro. I think they all too often get neglected

Thanks

I would love to see 15" ultraportable (and will 100% buy one myself), under following conditions:
    1) ram would be standard portable issue, of there will be at least 8gigs of it soldered. (standard so-dimms are preferable of course)
    2) gpu alongside with thunderbolt would allow for two apple cinema displays to connect and work as extended workspace.
    3) No less than two usb ports (two on my '09 MPB are often not enough), so three in this case would be perfect.

I don't care for optical drive, don't care for ETH port, and i don't' care for audio in/out as long as there are enough usb ports to connect external apple-issue eth, external sound-card and other additional stuff.

My idea is simple, while stationary - you work with apple displays, which are usb/eth/sound/firewire hubs, while on the go, you have large enough display for presentation/production/minor adjustments of your work. And it is lightweight enough for you not to be bothered at all.

P.S. MMI, wtf, quick-post isn't retaining formatting, i have to edit my post in order to correct.
    Last edited by dennder; 11-15-2011 at 07:36 AM.

Thanks

How about a 17" mac book air

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mofolo View Post
    Optical Drive?
    Apple is phasing out optical drives. They removed it from the Mini, they'll remove it from the Macbook Pro's.
    The iMac's may be spared an optical drive as it is an 'entertainment' device.

Think about it, less CDs/DVDs/BD - more need for iTunes downloads
    Less Application/Game DVD's - more need for Mac AppStore.

Apple is planning to form the industry that maximises profits for them.
    We will see, but a lot of pro grade software still comes on CD/DVD. As well as being able to burn off discs, the whole concept of being a pro model to me is that it had everything built in all in one package so you can transport it around neatly, not having to transport an external optical should you need it, and in the pro business I still see the optical being useful, if I requested a copy of whatever media from someone I was with there and then the ability to burn it to disc would be far more convenient and quicker than sending and receiving up to 4+GB of data over the Internet.

Don't get me wrong, if it was a MBP with the higher CPUs and removable ram slots then I'd have no problems getting one come replacement time, but it wouldn't be used in this scenario for me.
    Last edited by lukeyb; 11-15-2011 at 02:01 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

this is thin as shiznet

Thanks
    I would only buy one of these with a high resolution screen. Preferably 1920X1200.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lukeyb View Post
    We will see, but a lot of pro grade software still comes on CD/DVD.
    I'm sure they'd quickly start shipping SW on flash drives or make it available for download.

Like it or not, pro grade SW companies need Apple way worse than Apple needs them. Apple will do exactly what it wants to and everyone else will figure out how to exist in Apple's Garden.

Thanks

you have large enough display for presentation/production/minor adjustments of your work.
    A lot of them are used for things like mathematical modelling of climate change, objects in space moving around another etc.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it would be nice to have a light weight super thin 15" macbook. Just keep the Pro Series