View Poll Results: Will you be purchasing the iTunes Match service?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

0 0%
  • No way!

2 66.67%
  • Maybe, I have to think about it.

1 33.33%
+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's iTunes Match Service Released Along With iTunes 10.5.1

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by zinjen What bothers me about this is we cannot download "iTunes Higher Quality Version" to our PC or MAC. This is where it will lose out on
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    What bothers me about this is we cannot download "iTunes Higher Quality Version" to our PC or MAC. This is where it will lose out on additional sales IMO. Also I've heard a lot of folks using the BETA only matching 20-30% of their tracks. What about mix tapes?.. Yikes
    Agreed, most of my songs aren't exactly like the ones in iTunes and I have near 7000... Hopefully their fate will point more towards a service where u can listen to any song and create playlists in the cloud for a yearly fee like most other services now

And I've spent MANY hours editing and perfecting the correct info and tags on each song, I don't want this service to effect that

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay I don't have a lot of songs but this thing is telling me I have 1 song and not the 600 to 700 I have in my library and I've tried turning it off and also updating the iTunes match and nothing.

Thanks

Any jb problems with 10.5.1?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Couple of things on Apple's support site are starting to show up...iTunes Match: Understanding the iCloud Status icons

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default You Fail!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
    That's another thing I am not fond of. If your using the cloud you can not have music on your device. Doesn't make sense.

Fail? The service just started today. Grow up!

READ the rest of the comments dummy.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    For people that want more control over their librairy available in the cloud, their tags and so on, I suggest Audiogalaxy.

It's a mini server that makes you whole librairy available in the cloud, from their web app but also a lot of mobile devices, including iPhones and iPads. It's currently entirely free (both server and app)! I expect it to be a paid service eventually but it's been free for the past 6 months I've been using it.

Of course it has the drawback of being streamed from your home connection but at least you don't have to upload your whole librairy to the cloud. It also optimizes the stream whether you are on 3G or Wi-Fi. It's really well made and stable. I love it!

I really want to give iTunes Match a go but I'm also expecting it not to be able to match most of my librairy. If it doesn't cut it, I'll happily stay with Audiogalaxy.

PS: Not affiliated with them in any way!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone considering this should just go ahead and get google music. It is VERY similar, and it's FREE. There are two main ways that service differs from this one (aside from price): 1. 20,000 song limit 2. You actually have to upload ALL of your songs

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

From reading the comments, I'm still debating if this service is worth it. I get my songs from iTunes and other websites. Will iTunes Match match those songs from CD's and other websites? Is it worth it if my Mac is still running Snow Leopard?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Anyone considering this should just go ahead and get google music. It is VERY similar, and it's FREE. There are two main ways that service differs from this one (aside from price): 1. 20,000 song limit 2. You actually have to upload ALL of your songs
    gmusic is awesome but any cloud based service other than this will always be inferior due to the fact iTunes match works with the iPod.

audiogalaxy, streamtome, etc.. are inferior to music because they are server based - not cloud

Also gmusic cannot create playlists on the fly

Anything designed for iPod can see this collection (car radio, docks, etc...)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    is this available for Canada yet????

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alirz View Post
    is it true that enabling itunes match on the iphone/ipod disables itunes music syncing? if so, then what the hell, am i supposed to listen to my music only from the cloud hogging up my data? Plus what about those times when im in the under ground subway and there is no access to the cellular network?
    Yes, it disables syncing, but it's really not that big of a deal. You just download the music you want on your device via iTunes Match on your iPhone or iPod Touch (preferably via Wifi) and now that music lives locally on your device. You don't need to stream it at all. Just the one-time download.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by annihil8tion View Post
    audiogalaxy, streamtome, etc.. are inferior to music because they are server based - not cloud
    Assuming I have no issues with connectivity with my home server, is there really a need for this service? I'm leaning toward no.

Green Apple
    Thanks

wondering if it will update ratings, etc

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    Yes, it disables syncing, but it's really not that big of a deal. You just download the music you want on your device via iTunes Match on your iPhone or iPod Touch (preferably via Wifi) and now that music lives locally on your device. You don't need to stream it at all. Just the one-time download.
    When you say it disables syncing, what you mean is it just won't let you sync at all?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
    That's another thing I am not fond of. If your using the cloud you can not have music on your device. Doesn't make sense.
    I would agree. I listen to a downloaded local radio show at work where I'm lucky to get 1 bar. If I breathe on it, I lose that bar. I would not have gone with 64GB had I known I couldn't sync my playlists while using iTunes Match. I anticipate many complaints and the options to Match what you don't have in your Playlists. I'll be calling tomorrow to see about cancelling until there in an update to this. It just seems like an obvious "look over" on their part. By the way, of my 12,000 tracks, iTunes found 3,000 of them. All are properly tagged as well.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by annihil8tion View Post
    gmusic is awesome but any cloud based service other than this will always be inferior due to the fact iTunes match works with the iPod.

Also gmusic cannot create playlists on the fly

Anything designed for iPod can see this collection (car radio, docks, etc...)
    I can agree with the playlist statement (although who is to say that won't change once fe service is out of beta) but I get perfectly fine functionality in both cars we drive both plugged in and over Bluetooth with the $1.99 gmusic app on the AppStore. AND if there is no mobile Internet I can fall back on the music I have synced to my phone which apparently cannot be done with iTunes match (which I find to be a little ridiculous I must say)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    Assuming I have no issues with connectivity with my home server, is there really a need for this service? I'm leaning toward no.
    No there isn't. But unless you are running something else on that server to have it constantly running you will likely save more than. The $25 a ear this service costs in electricity alone.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-14-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Is iTunes failing to save anyone else's password after updating today? Every time I select to update apps it asks for my password even though I select remember password each time.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fudu View Post
    is this available for Canada yet????
    Go search google it's out there, I found it 1 day early

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just would like to make sure if Itunes 10.5.1 is jailbreak safe. Can i safely update if my iphone is jailbroken

Thanks
    Thanked 15,081 Times in 6,936 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardk448 View Post
    I just would like to make sure if Itunes 10.5.1 is jailbreak safe. Can i safely update if my iphone is jailbroken
    Yes it is jailbreak safe.