+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Store Genius Bars to Say 'Hi' to iPad 2's; 'Bye' to MacBook Pro's

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The Apple genius bar is the section of the Apple Store that assists with repairs. Normally, when you walk into an Apple Store you see a large wooden desk that
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Store Genius Bars to Say 'Hi' to iPad 2's; 'Bye' to MacBook Pro's

The Apple genius bar is the section of the Apple Store that assists with repairs.

Normally, when you walk into an Apple Store you see a large wooden desk that houses a number of Apple employees with a MacBook Pro in front of them. This is usually where you go when you have a problem with one of your devices and one of the representatives behind the desk will try to help you fix it on the spot. It's called the Genius bar because it resembles that of a bar in that there are stools and people behind a desk who listen to your problems (as the old story goes with bartenders at bars). The MacBook Pro's used are usually the newest line of 17 inch MacBook Pro's and they are loaded with software that help representatives with a myriad of possible customer issues. You can even pay for what you are buying at the Genius bar. But, thanks to the fact that the Apple Store app from the App Store was recently updated to allow self-checkout, that usefulness of the Genius bar might be evaporating. Also, so might the lineup of MacBook Pro's at the genius bar.

Apple is considering removing the stationed MacBook Pro's from from Genius bar in place of iPad 2's which would allow for better portability around the store. This means that if there are long lines or the store is crowded, Genius bar representatives will be able to travel to a less packed area of the store to help you. There are some minor disadvantages to this too, however. The iPad 2 is considerably slower than the top of the line 17 inch MacBook Pro. This could mean slower processing of your data. Also, iOS is a closed operating system while Mac is an open operating system. Apple would have to make a very special software for the iPad 2's that would be able to run on iOS. This could be difficult, but as Apple is the maker of the product, you cannot expect any less than for them to find a way to make it 'just work' in their favor. So I don't see any problems regarding the software. But iPad 2's would certainly allow for more space at the Genius bar than those large stationary computers.

Should Apple just eliminate the Genius bar and train all Apple Store employees to fix customer problems using iPad 2's? Share in the comments below!

Sources: 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-12-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

My local apple stores already do this. Doesn't seem to be any slower.

Thanks

Well, reality in place, it might be smarter to mainly have iPad 2's for purchases and such, and for larger purchases that require more time to process, around two Macbook Pros would be good, or even Mac Mini's. (Mac Mini's would make more sense IMO because it's designed as a desktop, which the Macbook Pro 17" basically is in this situation)

Thanks
    The one where I am already uses iPads at the genius bars only thing they use the Mac books for is restoring or checking the batteries.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah some have already. I think Apple is working to fill the rest in now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

i wouldn't care less...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

My feeling is they are doing this less as an "ease of use" and more as an "look how an iPad can replace your computer for you" for customers. This is one of their hottest selling products, a place where thay have the competition beat, no questions asked. They aren't going to win the desktop/laptop war, but this is certainly a place where they can dominate the market and keep up with the domination if they get them into enough households and businesses first.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    My feeling is they are doing this less as an "ease of use" and more as an "look how an iPad can replace your computer for you" for customers. This is one of their hottest selling products, a place where thay have the competition beat, no questions asked. They aren't going to win the desktop/laptop war, but this is certainly a place where they can dominate the market and keep up with the domination if they get them into enough households and businesses first.
    You may be right but an iPad CAN'T replace a laptop. It does very well for what it does but I can't really see the average user being convinced to purchase an iPad if they went in to buy a laptop. Plus it can't reload firmware, can't "plug" the iPhone/touch/another iPad into one.....Come to think of it, how are they actually going to help anyone with issues if they can't "see" what's going on with your iDevice? Sure they can look up account info and so forth but plugging the iDevice into the MBP is the next step, at least with my trips to see the so called genius.

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxhorseriderxxx's Avatar
    Thanks

apple should look into the Asus Transformer Prime

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't have a local Apple store .

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

I would guess some people might see that as a "problem". I personally, coming from somewhere that has no more than 35 stores in the whole of the country, don't see much of an issue. My nearest one is at least 2 hours away from me and will be a cold, blue mooned night in hell before i think of travelling to one.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple should eliminate the 'Geniuses' @ the bar. If any of these people had any real marketable skill, they would be employed in a real IT department making a real salary. This is like working the grill at McDonald's and telling people you are a chef. My personal experience in the handful of times I have been in an Apple Store was that these guys were arrogant Apple fanbois who gave themselves far too much credit for the limited knowledge they possessed. Perhaps expecting enterprise level support is setting the bar a little high, but some of the prices I was quoted rivaled what I would expect to encounter on a Cisco or VMWare incident support call...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ishamiyal View Post
    Apple should eliminate the 'Geniuses' @ the bar. If any of these people had any real marketable skill, they would be employed in a real IT department making a real salary. This is like working the grill at McDonald's and telling people you are a chef. My personal experience in the handful of times I have been in an Apple Store was that these guys were arrogant Apple fanbois who gave themselves far too much credit for the limited knowledge they possessed. Perhaps expecting enterprise level support is setting the bar a little high, but some of the prices I was quoted rivaled what I would expect to encounter on a Cisco or VMWare incident support call...
    I know what you mean, the 'Geniuses' at Apple SoHo Store serviced my i4 which suddenly died on me and would not charge or power on. First they tell me right off the top that I need a new phone !!! and because I was out of the 1yr warranty, Id have to pay full price !! After a verbal assault (delivered in a way that only a New Yorker could) they installed new battery for $80 but when I got the phone back and by the next day the home button would no longer work. I took it back and they gave me a brand new i4 with a 90 day warranty.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ishamiyal View Post
    Amen!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stefman_R View Post
    My local apple stores already do this. Doesn't seem to be any slower.
    Really? What, do you spend all your time in Apple store's at the genius bars?

Green Apple
    Thanks

iOS is only closed to us consumers, I'm pretty sure its wide open to Apple themselves.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    You may be right but an iPad CAN'T replace a laptop. It does very well for what it does but I can't really see the average user being convinced to purchase an iPad if they went in to buy a laptop. Plus it can't reload firmware, can't "plug" the iPhone/touch/another iPad into one.....Come to think of it, how are they actually going to help anyone with issues if they can't "see" what's going on with your iDevice? Sure they can look up account info and so forth but plugging the iDevice into the MBP is the next step, at least with my trips to see the so called genius.
    I did not mean to imply that an iPad was a laptop replacement. What I am saying is that they want prospective buyers to feel that way. For someone like my mom, an iPad is all she needs (and will ever need). They can take the market with their iPad (like Microsoft took the market with their desktop/laptop OS) and it makes sense that this is what they are going to push for.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I did not mean to imply that an iPad was a laptop replacement. What I am saying is that they want prospective buyers to feel that way. For someone like my mom, an iPad is all she needs (and will ever need). They can take the market with their iPad (like Microsoft took the market with their desktop/laptop OS) and it makes sense that this is what they are going to push for.
    Lol I didn't mean to imply you were implying that. I was just saying in general. I still don't see how they expect to "hook up" an I device to an iPad. Guess they'll still need some pro's there for that.

Thanks

I never been in a genius bar, I wonder what they gonna do with the macs ??? can I get one?

Thanks

I don't know about the all "apple geniuses" are skill-less comments. True, most of them are just apple fanboys but apple pays pretty well. And they are a nice company to work for. I have above average computer skills but the mere thought of working for an IT department working with PCs makes me choke.

I would much rather work in the lovely environment of an apple store.