+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac OS X Lion Shares Growing Quickly

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Mac OS X Lion, Apple's newest desktop and laptop operating system, is growing very quickly. Mac OS X Lion was announced by Steve Jobs, Apple's previous CEO, sometime this summer
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Mac OS X Lion Shares Growing Quickly

Mac OS X Lion, Apple's newest desktop and laptop operating system, is growing very quickly.

Mac OS X Lion was announced by Steve Jobs, Apple's previous CEO, sometime this summer and since then it has come a long way. It's been through numerous betas and updates, and many are warming up to the feel of the new multi-touch gestures and full screen applications. It also sports new features such as Mission Control and Launchpad which are absolutely beautiful ways to navigate through applications on your computer. Many applications are being updated to support Mac OS X Lion specifically even though many Mac OS X Snow Leopard applications were already compatible. These apps include updates such as speed enhancements, full screen capabilities, and multi-touch support. One such application is Google Chrome, a popular Web Browser that has gained support for multi-touch Web Page navigation and full screen mode. There are countless others, but that's not going to be the highlight of this article.

Since Lion's launch, the numbers of Mac users updating to it is absolutely stunning. Apple's computer share is now 23% as Tim Cook, Apple's new CEO, reported at the iPhone 4S unveiling. This is way up from a number that was previously in the mid single digits. But what's being installed on all of these Macs that Apple is selling? When Apple released Mac OS X Lion, they offered a program that allowed qualifying Mac owners who had previously bought a Mac close to the release of Lion the ability to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion for free with a special promo code that the user could enter in the Mac App Store to download Lion for free. I was one of those lucky qualifiers as I had just bought the 2011 MacBook Pro in July. Boy, can I say, I enjoy Mac OS X Lion more than I liked Snow Leopard. That's saying a lot because Snow Leopard was the operating system that powered my first Mac and I grew to love it.

So what are other people saying about Mac OS X Lion? Mac App Store Reviews:
    "To get straight to the point, OS X Lion is the best major release of Mac OS ever."
    "Upgrading to Lion was a good move."
    "Two words. User interface. It's amazing and really smart thinking by Apple."

Mac OS X Lion has around a four-star rating. It has numerous good reviews, and with the good come the bad. But overall, Lion is a great choice for Mac users with a multi-touch track pad or Magic Mouse. Looking at the numbers:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard still captures 49% of the Mac market. This isn't surprising, as some Mac users have taken a liking to Snow Leopard. But already, in just a few months after its release, 30% of Mac users are running Mac OS X Lion. That is absolutely amazing! As Tim Cook said at the iPhone 4S unveiling, Mac OS X Lion is gaining a faster growth in user base than Windows 7 did during its launch. In other words, more Mac OS X Snow Leopard users have upgraded to Mac OS X Lion than Windows Vista users upgraded to Windows 7 in the first few months of launch. The number difference isn't a marginal difference either. It's a huge difference. Looking at the second graph in the picture above, you can see how quickly Mac OS X Lion is growing in popularity for Mac users. Windows 7 looked very flat compared to that as Tim Cook pointed out at the iPhone 4S unveiling.

So Mac OS X Lion is an awesome operating system gaining many new users each day. Some from updating, some from buying new Macs. How many ModMyi readers are running Mac OS X Lion? Share in the comments below!

Sources: AppleInsider

Thanks

I beg to differ. I have a early 2008 24" iMac (2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB Ram) and when I upgraded to Lion it slowed my computer down. I had the spinning beach ball all the time when opening simple applications. It lagged soo bad I then decided to do a clean install. It seemed quick at first but after a few days it was the same thing....sloooooowwwwwwwww!! I got fed up so I used time machine to restore back to snow leopard. So much quicker now...I even asked apple for a refund and got it, so everything is aaaaokayyy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckiecheese View Post
    I beg to differ. I have a early 2008 24" iMac (2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB Ram) and when I upgraded to Lion it slowed my computer down. I had the spinning beach ball all the time when opening simple applications. It lagged soo bad I then decided to do a clean install. It seemed quick at first but after a few days it was the same thing....sloooooowwwwwwwww!! I got fed up so I used time machine to restore back to snow leopard. So much quicker now...I even asked apple for a refund and got it, so everything is aaaaokayyy!
    Hm yeah. It's better for the newer machines.

What's Jailbreak? devin_deville's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckiecheese View Post
    That's strange. I have a late 2010 13" Mbp 2.4 ghz core 2 duo 4gb and lion runs fine for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Lion is slower than SL for me. The boot time increased on Lion about 10-15 seconds more. I have a late 2010 MBP.

However, I love the gesture controls. I can't live without them. Was on a SL machine the other day and never noticed how much I used gestures until then lol. I love Lion, that's for sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Lion is slower than SL for me. The boot time increased on Lion about 10-15 seconds more. I have a late 2010 MBP.

However, I love the gesture controls. I can't live without them. Was on a SL machine the other day and never noticed how much I used gestures until then lol. I love Lion, that's for sure.
    I think one thing I miss about Snow Leopard was the ability to flick all of your fingers up to hide all of your windows. You can do it in Lion too, but you have to do an awkward spread of your fingers which is less comfortable. Since getting used to Lion's small window buttons I look at Snow Leopard's and go, "gosh that looks so outdated!" lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ozzie5374's Avatar
    Thanks

I ABSOLUTELY HATE USING WINDOWS XP at work with a mouse! Bloody rodents.
    Only when I return home can I quickly boot up the Lion and slide my fingers across the trackpad.
    Wish I could be on this planet permanently.

What's Jailbreak? devin_deville's Avatar
    Thanks

I think lion has a slower boot time because of the restore windows feature.

Full screen apps are probably my favorite feature because I have the 13 inch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devin_deville View Post
    I think lion has a slower boot time because of the restore windows feature.

Full screen apps are probably my favorite feature because I have the 13 inch.
    Very well could play a factor in boot time. I always ensure that when I shut down, I make sure it does not choose to reopen windows upon boot. That definitely cut my boot time down but it's still slightly slower than SL. But hey I'm not complaining lol, the shut down time is fast as usual. Better than any of the windows-based laptops I've owned.

(And please, nobody attack me on that last statement. I'm not out to hate on windows and windows lovers, I'm just saying that's one thing I couldn't stand when I used to own a windows-based device)

Thanks

Better than any of the windows-based laptops I've owned.

(And please, nobody attack me on that last statement. I'm not out to hate on windows and windows lovers, I'm just saying that's one thing I couldn't stand when I used to own a windows-based device)
    Nothing to hate on, you're totally right about that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm a die hard windows guy and boy did that change quickly with LION!!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a late 2007 MacBook pro - high-end 15" model. Lion is ten times faster than snow leopard ever was for me. I had two of these same comps and did a fresh install of both OSs - Lion blows SL away. Sorry for the folks out there having troubles with Lion - I love it.

Btw, who ever completely shuts down an mbp anyway?

The touch gestures were awkward at first, but they're hard to live without these days... I use gotomypc and it's frustratingly slow to work in a PC that accepts none of the Mac gestures.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    Btw, who ever completely shuts down an mbp anyway?
    Everyone that I know who owns one does lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Everyone that I know who owns one does lol.
    I just close the lid on mine. Have since i bought... No battery issues either!

Thanks

Lol I shut it down once in a while. I also usually just put it to sleep by closing it. But I had a scare once when I first got my MBP. Never once shut it down and one day it just wouldn't turn on. It was full charge when I left it the night before. Eventually it turned on after being plugged in for 5 minutes. Read around online and turns out it happens sometimes when you don't shut it down once in a while so I do it like once a week just to be safe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    I just close the lid on mine. Have since i bought... No battery issues either!
    Leaiving your Mac on (just closing the lid) will decrease your motherboard life time. believe me.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

"With no signs of user backlash"WTF? ORLY? The one reason I have not upgraded is due to the high amount of complaints from people. Unless I'm misunderstanding their definition of "backlash".