Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Asus, Acer Cut MacBook Air Competing Ultrabook Orders By 40%

  1. #1
    Default Asus, Acer Cut MacBook Air Competing Ultrabook Orders By 40%


    Acer and Asus have cut order for their MacBook Air competing Ultrabooks by as much as 40 percent according to Digitimes.

    The report cites struggling sales as the reason for the cuts. Both Acer and Asus anticipated ordering as many as 300,000 Ultrabooks by the end of 2011. But, with first-month sales of Windows-based Ultrabooks reportedly “unsatisfactory” producers cut orders to between 150,000 and 180,000 units according to Digitimes who cited sources at design manufacturers.

    The report claims Asustek and Acer are focusing their efforts on after May 2012 in preparation for a surge of demand in October 2012 in accordance with Windows 8’s release. Windows Ultrabooks have suffered additionally from a higher entry point than Apple’s $999 MBA as well as the economic troubles affecting consumers across the globe.

    Windows Ultrabook makers must breach the sub $1,000 market, and present products that show a distinct advantage over the similarly priced MacBook Air. The problem is, Apple controls much of the manufacturing equipment necessary to produce the metal unibody design of the MBA. This control of the overseas supply chain has prevented Windows manufacturers from producing cheaper and equally impressive alternatives. While some manufacturers have had success creating new thinner chassis using carbon fiber, it still isn’t cheap and easy enough to produce on a large-scale to compete with the $999 MBA.

    In the coming year Apple will be seeing competition from other manufacturers in the Ultrabook landscape. But, it may not come from Ultrabooks. It might come from the Asus Transformer Prime.



    Source: Digitimes
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 11-10-2011 at 02:04 PM.

  2. #2
    I don't see why. I wouldn't buy something that ugly over a MacBook Air if it was the last computer on earth.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I don't see why. I wouldn't buy something that ugly over a MacBook Air if it was the last computer on earth.
    poor Boy , put some flowers on it, is not necessary to be beauty but efficient one.
    Live Wire

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I don't see why. I wouldn't buy something that ugly over a MacBook Air if it was the last computer on earth.
    Oh gee, you crapple macintrash fanbois are funny, the Transformer Prime doesn't just compete with two of apples products, it swiftly hands them their *** in both their low powered laptops and the tablets, The Prime will smoke the crap out of the ye to be release Ipad 3 even, I know this because Apple is never bleeding edge and is always holding back releasing tech to string is customers along squeezing every last penny out of you.

  5. #5
    What's Jailbreak? no1stunna2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    murrland
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Oh gee, you crapple macintrash fanbois are funny, the Transformer Prime doesn't just compete with two of apples products, it swiftly hands them their *** in both their low powered laptops and the tablets, The Prime will smoke the crap out of the ye to be release Ipad 3 even, I know this because Apple is never bleeding edge and is always holding back releasing tech to string is customers along squeezing every last penny out of you.
    Apple said they are not in the business to compete specs wise. It's all about user experience. @**

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life KraXik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    2,634
    Thanks
    2,684
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Oh gee, you crapple macintrash fanbois are funny, the Transformer Prime doesn't just compete with two of apples products, it swiftly hands them their *** in both their low powered laptops and the tablets, The Prime will smoke the crap out of the ye to be release Ipad 3 even, I know this because Apple is never bleeding edge and is always holding back releasing tech to string is customers along squeezing every last penny out of you.
    My god, you openly admit to being an Asus fanboy. Well I guess some people have no shame!

    When I was at college I temped at a warranty repair centre. All I ever done was replace parts in Assus'es. The funniest thing was most of them would come in (even brand new ones) and pretty much all of them would have screws missing from the backplate. If you have an Asus, check the screws in the back. I bet there is at least 4 missing!

  7. #7
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Devon,UK
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Macbooks are the only laptops i'll buy now.They just pi** over anything else!! Yes i do own a Win7 laptop,but prefer my Macbook.

  8. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    England, Wolverhampton
    Posts
    118
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I don't see why. I wouldn't buy something that ugly over a MacBook Air if it was the last computer on earth.
    Seriously? A bit over the top in my opinion.

  9. #9
    My Vaio > macbook...nuff said!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by no1stunna2k View Post
    Apple said they are not in the business to compete specs wise. It's all about user experience. @**
    Which is why everyone was sorely disappointed in the half assed upgraded 4s that reaks of "user experience" issues right now. Android is more then capable of smacking down IOS mostly due to features that it releases ages before Apple gets the hint.

    Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    My god, you openly admit to being an Asus fanboy. Well I guess some people have no shame!

    Android, not Asus specifically.

    When I was at college I temped at a warranty repair centre. All I ever done was replace parts in Assus'es. The funniest thing was most of them would come in (even brand new ones) and pretty much all of them would have screws missing from the backplate. If you have an Asus, check the screws in the back. I bet there is at least 4 missing!
    I've owned a ton of Asus motherboards, never had an issue with any of them. I currently own an Asus Transformer, best tablet/hybrid laptop I have ever used, no issues what so ever.
    Last edited by bry2k2; 11-10-2011 at 02:38 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Oh gee, you crapple macintrash fanbois are funny, the Transformer Prime doesn't just compete with two of apples products, it swiftly hands them their *** in both their low powered laptops and the tablets, The Prime will smoke the crap out of the ye to be release Ipad 3 even, I know this because Apple is never bleeding edge and is always holding back releasing tech to string is customers along squeezing every last penny out of you.
    Yeah. the Transformer prime is nice, but how do you know he wasn't talking about the ultrabook in the first picture? I admit the transformer prime is a game changer, but as long as it's Android, it'll never beat the MBA, and it MIGHT be able to catch up to the iPad. While it will be a cheaper alterenative, like they always say, You get what you pay for. Now when/if it gets Windows 8, then you may have something there. But until then, stfu. Thanks.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Aenima133 View Post
    Yeah. the Transformer prime is nice, but how do you know he wasn't talking about the ultrabook in the first picture? I admit the transformer prime is a game changer, but as long as it's Android, it'll never beat the MBA, and it MIGHT be able to catch up to the iPad. While it will be a cheaper alterenative, like they always say, You get what you pay for. Now when/if it gets Windows 8, then you may have something there. But until then, stfu. Thanks.
    Tell me how it can't be the MBA, better resolution, better battery, lighter, faster, cheaper.... should I go on? Catch up to the Ipad? it smokes it soundly in every possible way, just because there are more simpletons on the planet who throw their hard earned dollars away doesn't make it a good product.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Tell me how it can't be the MBA, better resolution, better battery, lighter, faster, cheaper.... should I go on? Catch up to the Ipad? it smokes it soundly in every possible way, just because there are more simpletons on the planet who throw their hard earned dollars away doesn't make it a good product.
    Better resolution, not by much. Better battery? lighter? faster? Ok. a dual core 1.6ghz processor vs a quad core 1.3ghz. I'll give you that. But all that other crap is meaningless, and the last is probably not true. Not the mention the MBA is a laptop, with a full operating system for great useability and full functionality. The transformer has a mobile OS with much less functions and useability. If i wanted to go for something small like these, i'd go for the one that i can do more stuff on. I'd get a Computer, not a tablet with a keyboard. The Transformer Prime will never be able to fully compete in a Laptop or "Ultrabook" world because it just doesn't have the proper operating system. Hence my comment about windows 8.

    As for you comment about "simpletons" throwing their money on an ipad instead DOES make it a good product. The reason? Any business man will tell you a product that sell best is a good product. Plain and simple. If it was such a bad product, people wouldn't buy them. That's all there is to it.

  14. #14
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,907
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    There shouldn't be any debate. There really isn't a "better" one. It's your preference. If you like something more you're going to favor it more. Apple products and Windows-based products compete, yes, but neither is better than the other. They have their own pros, cons, and pricing doesn't necessarily reflect those factors.I went Mac and never looked back. That's just me. If you don't like it, don't use it. If you have to sit there and justify why PC is better or why Mac is better, you're just wasting your breath. There are always going to be people who don't like what you like, and vice versa.Regarding the article, I wouldn't buy an Ultrabook. My reasoning being that I honestly like OS X better than Windows. I just don't see myself buying an Ultrabook and trying to load OSX onto it. (I'm sure someone will want to debate this statement, but regardless it's my preference. Your preference is yours, I won't debate it.)

  15. #15
    In fact i did a little more research, and the ONLY thing has better on it is the processor, the fact it's touch screen, and a secondary camera. The resolution is almost the same. The MBA has twice as much RAM, same size Harddrive. Same weight essentially, give a few grams, when compared to the Transformer Prime with dock. Two USB vs one on the Prime, and a thunderbolt port. Battery specs haven't been announced for the Prime, or atleast i can't find them. But it'll probably be close to the same if not worse than the MBA. And the price difference is only $150. Your argument was actually so invalid, that I almost feel sorry for you. Please, next time you dis apple, do your homework. That is all.

  16. #16
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,907
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Tell me how it can't be the MBA, better resolution, better battery, lighter, faster, cheaper.... should I go on? Catch up to the Ipad? it smokes it soundly in every possible way, just because there are more simpletons on the planet who throw their hard earned dollars away doesn't make it a good product.
    What you consider "throwing away" hard earned dollars isn't so for others. Something you spent a bunch of money on, somebody else might think you essentially threw your hard earned money away.

    A MBA to you may be a waste of money, but hey maybe somebody thinks an Ultrabook is a waste of money. The reason may not be obvious or common, but people have their reasons, as do you. But there isn't a need to bash on a product just bc you don't prefer it. On a side note, Apple is quite successful for producing crummy products.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 11-10-2011 at 03:30 PM.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    There shouldn't be any debate. There really isn't a "better" one. It's your preference. If you like something more you're going to favor it more. Apple products and Windows-based products compete, yes, but neither is better than the other. They have their own pros, cons, and pricing doesn't necessarily reflect those factors.I went Mac and never looked back. That's just me. If you don't like it, don't use it. If you have to sit there and justify why PC is better or why Mac is better, you're just wasting your breath. There are always going to be people who don't like what you like, and vice versa.Regarding the article, I wouldn't buy an Ultrabook. My reasoning being that I honestly like OS X better than Windows. I just don't see myself buying an Ultrabook and trying to load OSX onto it. (I'm sure someone will want to debate this statement, but regardless it's my preference. Your preference is yours, I won't debate it.)
    I completely agree with this statement. I don't debate windows vs mac or android vs iOS. But i will defend if someone decides to talk ****. The only thing i was even saying was about his comparison of a Android Tablet with a keyboard dock and a MacBook Air. That's not a personal preference thing, because they are on complete different playing fields and in complete different markets. I know i really didn't have to defend myself here. I just felt it necessary to clarify why i said what i said. That is all.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
    My Vaio > macbook...nuff said!
    Yeah - keep telling yourself that.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Which is why everyone was sorely disappointed in the half assed upgraded 4s that reaks of "user experience" issues right now. Android is more then capable of smacking down IOS mostly due to features that it releases ages before Apple gets the hint.
    Best selling iPhone ever? Yeah, people are really disappointed. Keep telling yourself that.

  20. #20
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,907
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Aenima133 View Post
    I completely agree with this statement. I don't debate windows vs mac or android vs iOS. But i will defend if someone decides to talk ****. The only thing i was even saying was about his comparison of a Android Tablet with a keyboard dock and a MacBook Air. That's not a personal preference thing, because they are on complete different playing fields and in complete different markets. I know i really didn't have to defend myself here. I just felt it necessary to clarify why i said what i said. That is all.
    Yup. Sometimes we have to consider that some things aren't on the same playing field. Just because they're both "laptops/notebooks" don't mean they should be compared. iPad vs Kindle for example...you can't really compare those things bc they're not the same thing in many aspects.


    Sometimes you can compare, but personal preference will always get in the way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •