+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Asus, Acer Cut MacBook Air Competing Ultrabook Orders By 40%

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by bry2k2 The article was released "after" Apples pre order numbers were done on the 4s, by over two weeks. Quality? they why are they buying Apple? I
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    The article was released "after" Apples pre order numbers were done on the 4s, by over two weeks. Quality? they why are they buying Apple? I could drag up the thousands of stories of ipods or phones catching on fire, the fact that apple doesn't give a crap about cosmetic defects in its products, but you seem set in your ways, good luck.
    My Dell wall charger caught on fire and burned a hole in my bed while I was using my laptop during charging. If that's a factor to quality of a product then I'd say it's not exclusive to a particular brand.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 884 Posts

The article was released "after" Apples pre order numbers were done on the 4s, by over two weeks. Quality? they why are they buying Apple? I could drag up the thousands of stories of ipods or phones catching on fire, the fact that apple doesn't give a crap about cosmetic defects in its products, but you seem set in your ways, good luck.
    Your first statement gives no credibility to the article at all. It incorporates preorders? Hardly going to make a difference. All technology, be it gadgets, cars or space rockets. All have bugs/glitches. Mainly due to the 'human' factor in the manufacture of the product. Also Samsung have how many phones and other junk out at the moment yet Apple is sticking it to the man with 1 phone. Yep, 1. Safety in numbers for the Android hoards. Can't compete in pure quality let's make up in numbers. Reminds me of 300. THIS... IS...SPARAPPLE

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I said that at one point.
    Use the "Thanks" button instead!
    I don't see a thanks button unless I'm in the forum. On the news page all there is is a reply button.

Thanks

Man, I hope in the next couple of years the price of these "ultrabooks" drop. And I mean drop like a rock in the pond.I might be heading off to college soon, so I'm thinking I want to get one of the above items. (Though a transformer prime is basically out of the question right now. I'd rather get an iPad 2 with a Clam Case in that situation.)I've been thinking about getting a Macbook Air, either of the two seem decent, though the MBA 11" intrigues me with it's Netbook-like size. I'd like to personally get my hands on one just to test how well it runs....I've never used a mac though, so it's kind of a gamble. (And a high roller bet to say the least. I mean the minimum is $1000! I've had a friend who's got an i5 powered 17" laptop for only $750!)Though it's also a gamble with a Windows counterpart, since unlike Apple and it's vertical integration make everything work well. (For the most part anyway.....)

Thanks

um isnt the asus transformer a android tablet? if so, I dont think it will exactly be competing as much with the macbook air as with ipads and galaxy tabs and other tablets.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually saw this computer at costco last night (first I had heard of it). It is surprisingly nice and, IMO, looks great as well. It isn't that MUCH cheaper than a macbook air though (about $100). I was surprised to see the trackpad be clickable (a la the unibody macbooks which I just love). Wonder if they will get sued for that or if they somehow managed to license the tech.

EDIT: So maybe I saw something different. I know the screen wasn't detachable (but everything else I said was true). Anyway, looked like a pretty decent machine

PS Why does something like this always turn into a "what is better debate"? I feel like people trashing this device haven't even used it.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-10-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks

People are trashing Apple products, not the Ultrabooks.

Nobody has said anything bad about the Ultrabooks really. This always turns into a "why MacBooks suck" debate more than anything else, lol.

@Aenima, in the original post, click the link at the end to go into forum view. The thanks button should show up.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    People are trashing Apple products, not the Ultrabooks.

Nobody has said anything bad about the Ultrabooks really. This always turns into a "why MacBooks suck" debate more than anything else, lol.

@Aenima, in the original post, click the link at the end to go into forum view. The thanks button should show up.
    I said something about the ultrabook. It's ugly!

Green Apple
    Thanks

eventually, the shoe will be on the other foot......again.....then it will go back to the other. apple >< MS >< apple>< MS........

Thanks

Well I'm not going to deny that Apple products are very attractive...but we shouldn't judge a book by its cover. No pun intended -.-

I wouldn't buy it though. Not bc it's ugly or it's not Apple, just bc I wouldn't buy a MacBook Air either lol. I feel that these ultra thin things are just so fragile. The MBP may be heavy but it's quite a nice machine for the way I use computers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That makes no sense at ALL... So your basically saying that the preorders are included in the numbers? Look at your own article again, it says "expected to boost sales".. Preorders aren't counted and neither is the current numbers.... You could drag up thousands? Go ahead, I could drag MILLIONS of any other manufacture you throw over this way...

Please just leave this forum, you have no factual evidence whatsoever....

The processor that the Air uses is a Intel Core i5, while the Asus uses a mobile Tegra, doesn't compare AT ALL...

Resolution- Asus Transformer Prime = 1280 x 800 Macbook Air = 1366 by 768

USB Ports- yes they are needed, a USB hub is not always a practical way to work things.

Thunderbolt Port- Hmm... Couldn't find an argument against it? Its power available that isn't in the Prime, its an advantage and gives it an advantage...

Battery I will give, but still doesn't beat the iPad... Which is the real market you should be comparing in, not full computers.

Backlit keyboard, better trackpad, better overall design (unibody)... All these things are worth $150

Yeah, A mobile OS, for $150 cheaper, not worth it.... If Windows 8 was on it, it might have compared, but it doesn't... Compare it to the iPad, then it might win... But won't win in sales....

I rather have Lion, a very awesome operating system (though I really like Windows 8, definitely going to bootcamp and run that) that has flexibility that tablets like the Prime and the iPad just don't offer. The feature comparison between a full OS (Lion) and mobile (Android) is WAYYYY too much to even compare.

There both good choices, but it depends on what your going for. But don't put false facts on the board.
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123