Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Nominated For Time Magazine's Person of the Year

Thanks

Default Steve Jobs Nominated For Time Magazine's Person of the Year

NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams recently announced the nomination of Steve Jobs to be Time magazine’s Person of the Year. If selected, Jobs would become the first person to receive the award after death.

Williams was the one to lead the annual panel debate in New York, along with Rich Stengel (Time’s Managing Editor). Stengel noted that the publication has “never actually chosen a dead person” as Person of the Year. Other panelists included Jesse Eisenberg, Saturday Night Live head writer Seth Meyers, lawyer and professor Anita Hill, lobbyist Grover Norquist, and chef Mario Batali. Some of the notable nominees for this year's award include U.S. Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren, Mohamed Bouazizi who is the Tunisian fruit vendor credited for starting the Arab Spring, and Esraa Abdel Fatah who is the lead organizer of the uprising in Cairo.

Last year’s Person of the Year was none other than Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerburg, who recently publicly mentioned that he was inspired by Steve Jobs when building Facebook. Jobs had been previously nominated for the honor as well, coming up short last year to Zuckerburg.

The panelists mentioned the following when speaking about Jobs and this year’s award:

One guy, who changed our world, and I said to Seth Meyers as we walked across Sixth Avenue, 'Just look with me on this one block walk at how he changed the world around us. Look at how he changed the world,'" Williams said during his nomination speech. "'Oh the places you'll go' and oh the way you will change forever the music and television industries. So may he rest in peace, Steve Jobs, and the spirit he represents, are my nominee for Person of the Year.
    Batali and Norquist both agreed with Williams’ nomination.

It is a bit surprising to see the Jobs being nominated again – this time after his death. What Williams said though totally makes sense as Jobs has managed to change not only the smartphone industry, but the music, personal computer, tablet, and most likely television industry (in the future) as well.

How do you feel about the situation? Would you like to see Jobs win Time magazine’s Person of the Year award? Share any thoughts below!

Source: Time NewsFeed

Bandwagon jumping.......why is it in death he receives this. Surely he had changed the world more than Mark Zuckerburg so why is it in death and not last year or before.

Good on Steve jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Aumz View Post
    Bandwagon jumping.......why is it in death he receives this. Surely he had changed the world more than Mark Zuckerburg so why is it in death and not last year or before.
    I thought actually the same once i read the title to this.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

From what i can tell he's only been nominated so far. And to your comment, This is his second time being nominated. He was nominated last year as well, while he was still alive. But i do agree, Steve trumps Mark on all accounts. He should have won last year.

Gotta love the headline above his head. With so many iPhones, iPods, iWhatevers out there, hes was huge contributor to the perils of plastic on the environment.

This is really no contest...

He's being nominated its not like he got it and yes he is dead but why should that stop him from getting it. Should he not be the man of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Gotta love the headline above his head. With so many iPhones, iPods, iWhatevers out there, hes was huge contributor to the perils of plastic on the environment.
    With the exception of iPhone 3Gs's. There aren't really any, as you put it, "iWhatevers" that use vast amounts of plastic that are still being made.

Just sayin.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aumz View Post
    I can't agree more! Thought the same thing when reading the article! Would have been nice that Steve received this while he was still with us! Funny how people are..... they always see how people are once there gone.

"Always remember your special and unique!"