+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ron Johnson Attempts To Assemble Former Apple Executives To Work At JC Penney

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Ron Johnson Attempts To Assemble Former Apple Executives To Work At JC Penney

Ron Johnson, who recently retired as Apple’s senior vice president of retail operations is attempting to assemble a team of former Apple executives to reinvent the U.S. retailer JC Penney (where he now serves as chief executive). Johnson started working at Apple in January 2000 (coming from Target previously) and is credited with leading the construction of Apple’s global retail chain, including its innovative features such as the Genius Bars, theaters, and the more recently released Easy Pay checkout.

According to a report by the Wall Street Journal, Johnson is trying to recruit a team for JC Penney that includes former Apple executive Daniel Walker (who worked as a chief talent officer from 2000 to 2005) and Michael Kramer (who worked as Apple Retail’s chief financial officer over the same time span). Ironically it was Walker who initially recruited Johnson to work at Apple, while Kramer worked with Johnson at Target before both of them joined Apple. Johnson is trying to recruit the ex-Apple executives in hopes of accomplishing a similar goal: to build a profitable retail operation.

Johnson faces new challenges at JC Penney when compared to his venture with Apple. The Cupertino giant started its retail operations from scratch roughly a decade ago and grew globally, whereas JC Penney is already operating over 1,100 stores across the U.S. and Puerto Rico, and has been in business since 1902.

The thought that keeps coming to my mind is how someone can go from a company as game-changing and innovative as Apple, then move on to work at a middle of the line U.S. retail chain. Furthermore, I wonder if all the recent changes within Apple will cause the company to steer in a less appealing direction, although I hope not.

How do you feel about the situation? Share any thoughts below!

Source: WSJ

Green Apple
    Thanks

The thought that keeps coming to my mind is how someone can go from a company as game-changing and innovative as Apple, then move on to work at a middle of the line U.S. retail chain. Furthermore, I wonder if all the recent changes within Apple will cause the company to steer in a less appealing direction, although I hope not.
    Easy he is going from being a VP of one aspect of Apple to being the man in charge for everything at JC. The man likes a challenge, is that sooo bad. People make out that leaving Apple is such a bad thing. The man has done his job at Apple has he not. He came to Apple when they were prob middle of the road also and he hopes to get the same type of results at JC (even if he only gets halfway he has done well).

Thanks

Good for him. I'm sure he's up for the challenge of turning a 100+ year company retail chain around. Better yet, he can remodeled it according to his vision, instead of anyone else's.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I am sure he went into the job with some power to run things his way. He proved to be successful at Apple building up their retail chain so for him to just leave and go to a min range retail chain, I would bet they gave him quite a bit of power to run things as he wants.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm a former software engineer of JC Penney's home office and I can tell you first hand that their current executives are disloyal, dishonest, and need to go. They destroyed the entire culture of the company and outsourced thousands of jobs just to save a few bucks that never positively impacted their stock price. I hope they clean house. Also, I can tell you why he switched from an innovative powerhouse to a mid-tier retail chain. It was for the $$$. JCP offers their execs crazy salaries and perks. For example the HR VP makes 4 million a year so you can only imagine what a CEO or CTO makes.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I think he'll do a good job. JC Penny needs a good turn around.