+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Firefox 8 Beta Released for Mac OS X

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Firefox is a reliable browser that has been around for multiple platforms for a long time. The final beta release of Firefox 8 is now available for Mac OS X,
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Firefox 8 Beta Released for Mac OS X

Firefox is a reliable browser that has been around for multiple platforms for a long time.

The final beta release of Firefox 8 is now available for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux. It can be downloaded from Mozilla's FTP servers here. Or you can follow these easier links if you're not good with navigating through FTP:

Mac download
    Windows 32bit download
    Linux 32bit download
    Linux 64bit download

Firefox 7 has been quite buggy and in fact it has had many problems with Java Console on numerous websites. The new version brings the following fixes; list compliments of Redmond Pie:
    • Add-ons installed by third party programs are now disabled by default
    • Added a one-time add-on selection dialog to manage previously installed add-ons
    • Added Twitter to the search bar
    • Added a preference to load tabs on demand, improving start-up time when windows are restored
    • Improved tab animations when moving, reordering, or detaching tabs
    • Improved performance and memory handling
    • Added CORS support for cross-domain textures in WebGL
    • Added support for HTML5 context menus
    • Added support for insertAdjacentHTML
    • Improved CSS hyphen support for many languages
    • Improved WebSocket support
    • Fixed several stability issues

Unfortunately, Firefox 8 still does not support the full-screen apps feature of Mac OS X Lion. I am blissfully awaiting that feature so that I can make use of every pixel on the screen.

Before the update to Firefox 7, Firefox was my browser of choice. After they released an unsteady Java Console loader which I depended on for numerous websites, I made the switch to Google Chrome where I can still use AdBlock Plus. Generally I would use Safari if I could, but I became spoiled with AdBlock Plus. Firefox still has one of the best add-on databases of any browser for multiple operating systems. For that, I will continue to leave it installed even though it's not my main browser.

I'm happy to announce though, that Firefox 8 fully supports Java Console and will fix many of the issues that people have been having with Firefox 7. That being said, will you be downloading it? Share in the comments below!

Sources: Redmond Pie
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-06-2011 at 07:02 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Firefox 8.....what! 2 months ago they were on 6 didn't even know they had a 7 and know their on 8. Why are they rushing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone taxbax's Avatar
    Thanks

There is an ad block extension for Safari and you can install chpwn's tweak to make all apps fullscreen capable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by taxbax View Post
    There is an ad block extension for Safari and you can install chpwn's tweak to make all apps fullscreen capable.
    Indeed about Maximizer, although it causes nasty random glitches with true fullscreen apps.

Thanks

What the hell are they doing over there at Firefox? Is their program so buggy and full of holes they they really need to release an update every freaking month? The constant barrage of "There's a new Firefox available!" messages have forever driven me to Chrome.

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Unfortunately, Firefox 8 still does not support the full-screen apps feature of Mac OS X Lion. I am blissfully awaiting that feature so that I can make use of every pixel on the screen.
    I may be missing something, but why do individual applications need to have specific support for full-screen in Lion? It looks to me like all full-screen is is just hiding the OS X menu-bar and resizing the window to occupy as much of the screen as possible. I am aware of the program by chpwn that allows any application to be run in full-screen, so I don't understand why this isn't a global trait of a basic GUI window by default, just like how resizing a window in Lion can be done from any corner where as the same application running in SL and earlier can only be done so from the bottom left; in other words, it goes by what that running system's libraries provide.

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    What the hell are they doing over there at Firefox? Is their program so buggy and full of holes they they really need to release an update every freaking month? The constant barrage of "There's a new Firefox available!" messages have forever driven me to Chrome.
    You do realize you don't have to necessarily upgrade every single time a new version comes out. You can also turn off update notifications in the Options dialog (Advanced -> Update -> unchecked Firefox), where you can still check manually easily enough when you're ready, according to your schedule. No one is being forced to upgrade.
    Last edited by szr; 11-06-2011 at 09:07 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Would you rather they don't release updates once a year? Personally, it's free and if they want to release once a week I wouldn't care. As long as wash release brings improvements!

Thanks

Firefox 8 already? The last time I used Firefox, I was using Firefox 3. I've moved onto Google Chrome and I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

In my opinion:
    Internet Explorer > Safari > Fierfox > Google Chrome
    Last edited by Zach B.; 11-06-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    I may be missing something, but why do individual applications need to have specific support for full-screen in Lion? It looks to me like all full-screen is is just hiding the OS X menu-bar and resizing the window to occupy as much of the screen as possible. I am aware of the program by chpwn that allows any application to be run in full-screen, so I don't understand why this isn't a global trait of a basic GUI window by default, just like how resizing a window in Lion can be done from any corner where as the same application running in SL and earlier can only be done so from the bottom left; in other words, it goes by what that running system's libraries provide.
    The reason it isn't a global trait is because it only works for applications coded in Cocoa at the moment. Since programs can be written in several different languages, not all of them can support the features that Apple has provided for their Cocoa applications. This makes it necessary for coders to build in Cocoa support so that the full screen support will work on Mac OS X Lion. Firefox is built on Cocoa, so all they need to do is add a few lines of code with their next update. I'm really hoping they do soon. Even chpwn's Maximizer hack only works with Cocoa applications such as Skype, Firefox, and App Store.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

szr (11-06-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zach B. View Post
    Firefox 8 already? The last time I used Firefox, I was using Firefox 3. I've moved onto Google Chrome and I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

In my opinion:
    Internet Explorer > Safari > Fierfox > Google Chrome

So, you're using the worst browser, per your opinion? That's odd.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Zach B.;6294384

In my opinion:
    Internet Explorer > Safari > Fierfox > Google Chrome[/QUOTE]

Internet Explorer < Safari < Fierfox < Google Chrome

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat50 View Post
    To each their own. IMHO: Chrome is low on the list because of it's light footprint. Yes, the program loads insanely fast, but page load times suck in general. I prefer the longer program load time of firefox (in windows) to have the page load times decreased.

Recently discovered how awesomely fast Safari is in both prgm and page load times - must say, extremely surprised.

Everybody agrees that IE is, quite possibly, the worst browser ever made (excluding Netscape), right?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat50 View Post
    No no no, Internet explorer < Google Chrome < Firefox < Safari

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KiidTee View Post
    Firefox 8.....what! 2 months ago they were on 6 didn't even know they had a 7 and know their on 8. Why are they rushing.
    How many iOS for iphone you had recently and the bug continue for next movie!!!!
    Live Wire

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was looking into google and I heard the Version 7 of firefox was released but had some bugs that needed to be fixed. Thats why they decided to jump on to version 8 so quickly. Cheers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    You do realize you don't have to necessarily upgrade every single time a new version comes out. You can also turn off update notifications in the Options dialog (Advanced -> Update -> unchecked Firefox), where you can still check manually easily enough when you're ready, according to your schedule. No one is being forced to upgrade.
    Oh sure...I'm still running 6.0.2 on my computer. I just think it's ridiculous that Firefox feels the need to release updates so frequently. I think it shows either a lack of foresight by their developers or complete ineptitude to the point where they're constantly having to patch up bugs. Not only that, but constant upgrades are a nuisance to the plug-in companies. They're constantly having to tweak their plug-ins to work with the latest version of firefox. I think that if Firefox doesn't find a way to get it right, the writers of plugins are gonna eventually say "screw it" and move on to a more stable, consistent browser, like Chrome.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If Chrome supported a version of NoScript, I'd stop using Firefox already. It hasn't been stellar for two or three major releases. Now if only I could get Adblock and NoScript on iOS.
    Ziger.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I was a big firefox fan but dropped it for Chrome. I use my MacBook Air a lot and having flash installed just destroyed my battery life. I uninstalled it and use Chrome with native flash plugin and it increased my battery 3x.

iPhone? More like MyPhone syedsufyan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KiidTee View Post
    It is part of their new rapid-release cycle, a new version every six weeks. That way, it always has all the latest features. Before, people would have to wait around 2 years for their updates.

Thanks

Anyone else getting 'permission denied' whilst attempting to download the windows x86 version ?