+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Parallels Schools VMWare Fusion According To MacTech Report

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Parallels Schools VMWare Fusion According To MacTech Report

The 2011 MacTech Conference began in L.A. today and everyone is busy benchmarking and providing new and useful information. One of the latest benchmark showdowns features the virtualization software options: Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion. At the conference, both apps were tested under Windows 7, and the result: VMWare Fusion gets schooled by Parallels.

According to MacTech, Parallels won 60% by a factor of 10% or more, and Parallels Desktop 7 beat VMWare Fusion in nearly 75% of the tests run. It seems that Parallels is the clear cut winner here for those of you who are seeking virtualization software. VMWare was faster in a few different places such as starting up or shutting down the virtual Windows machine. Parallels came out ahead on nearly all other points such as the speed charts, including the 3D tests and tests of most commonly used apps on the system. You can hit the source link below to see full details regarding the tests and their results.

The report concluded by stating the obvious, that virtualization software is better than ever. If you ever need to run Windows 7 (or another virtual operating system installation) inside of your Mac system – Parallels will be the way to go. The report that MacTech has released is quite extensive so if you are interested in reading about every little detail and learning more information about the topic, don’t hesitate to check it out.

Stay tuned for more info from this week’s MacTech conference.

Source: MacTech

Thanks

Any tests comparing these with VirtualBox?

Thanks
    Thanked 14,772 Times in 6,869 Posts

I have found virtualbox to be faster myself.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mallenass's Avatar
    Thanks

OK. NOW SERIOUSLY. WHAT THE FUNK IS GOING ON? THIS IS A JAILBREAK COMMUNITY, AND YET, WE ARE COMPLETELY LACKING AND FALLING SHORT ON THE JAILBREAK DEPARTMENT.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO JAILBREAK FOR THE 4S, AND *ALL* THE LATEST iDEVICES IN ALL THE LATEST FIRMWARE VERSIONS HAVE TETHERED JAILBREAK, WICH IS HIGLY INCONVENIENT. I REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN A NEW FIRWARE VERSION WOULD POP OUT, AND ONLY WEEKS LATER A JB WOULD COME OUT AS WELL, NOW A DAYS, WE HAVE BEEN STUCK WITH TETHERED JAILBREAKS OR NO JAILBREAK AT ALL, ARE THE DEVS LESS MOTIVATED? IS APPLE MAKING IT SO HARD THAT DEVS SIMPLY CAN FIGURE IT OUT? IS APPLE WINNING? FRANKLY THESE ARE THINGS THAT BOTH FRUSTRATE AND ANGER ME, BECAUSE I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE MY iDEVICES, BUT I *WOULD NOT* OWN ONE WHATSOEVER IF I CANNOT JAILBREAK IT. SO WHAT IS GOING ON? I EXPECTED A 4S JAILBREAK TO BE OUT ALREADY, TO ME THIS LIST IS JUST PLAIN INCONCEIVABLE.

The following device/firmware combination currently do NOT have a jailbreak at all, tethered or untethered.

(If you're not sure what firmware you're on, here's how to find your iOS firmware version)
    iPhone 4S | 5.0
    iPad 2 | 4.3.1
    iPad 2 | 4.3.2
    iPad 2 | 4.3.4
    iPad 2 | 4.3.5
    iPad 2 | 5.0

The following device/firmware combination currently ONLY have a tethered jailbreak, meaning you have to connect them to a computer when you reboot them.
    iPhone 3G | 4.3.4
    iPhone 3GS | 4.3.3
    iPhone 3GS | 4.3.4
    iPhone 3GS | 4.3.5
    iPhone 3GS | 5.0
    iPhone 4 | 4.2.9
    iPhone 4 | 4.2.10
    iPhone 4 | 4.3.3
    iPhone 4 | 4.3.4
    iPhone 4 | 4.3.5
    iPhone 4 | 5.0
    iPad 1 | 4.3.3
    iPad 1 | 4.3.4
    iPad 1 | 4.3.5
    iPod touch 3G | 4.3.4
    iPod touch 3G | 4.3.5
    iPod touch 4G | 4.3.4
    iPod touch 4G | 4.3.5
    iPod touch 4G | 5.0

HOW CAN IT BE THAT FIRMWARES AS OLD AS 4.2.9 D NOT HAVE A FULLY UNTETHER JAILBREAK AS IT SHOULD??
    IM SCARED, IM PISSED, IM FRUSTRATED.

IF APPLE WINS AND MAKES THEIR iDEVICES UN-JAILBREAKABLE. I WILL STOP USING THEM. AND I DO NOT WANT TO.
    IS APPLE REALLY WINNING? OR IS THE JAILBREAK COMMUNITY SIMPLY LOOSING INTREST IN HAVING THEIR LATEST iDEVICES JAILBROKEN ON THE LATEST FIRMWARES???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I have found virtualbox to be faster myself.
    :nod:
    I wonder what plans Oracle has in mind for it, since they seem to be systematically wrecking every other piece of Sun they've got their teeth into.
    Last edited by raduga; 11-02-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks

SORRY FOR THE UNRELATED POST BTW.....iWISH THERE WAS A GENERAL BOARD WHERE WE COULD POST SUCH THINGS AND GET THE BALL ROLLING...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tashawn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mallenass View Post
    OK. NOW SERIOUSLY. WHAT THE FUNK IS GOING ON? THIS IS A JAILBREAK COMMUNITY, AND YET, WE ARE COMPLETELY LACKING AND FALLING SHORT ON THE JAILBREAK DEPARTMENT.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO JAILBREAK FOR THE 4S, AND *ALL* THE LATEST iDEVICES IN ALL THE LATEST FIRMWARE VERSIONS HAVE TETHERED JAILBREAK, WICH IS HIGLY INCONVENIENT. I REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN A NEW FIRWARE VERSION WOULD POP OUT, AND ONLY WEEKS LATER A JB WOULD COME OUT AS WELL, NOW A DAYS, WE HAVE BEEN STUCK WITH TETHERED JAILBREAKS OR NO JAILBREAK AT ALL, ARE THE DEVS LESS MOTIVATED? IS APPLE MAKING IT SO HARD THAT DEVS SIMPLY CAN FIGURE IT OUT? IS APPLE WINNING? FRANKLY THESE ARE THINGS THAT BOTH FRUSTRATE AND ANGER ME, BECAUSE I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE MY iDEVICES, BUT I *WOULD NOT* OWN ONE WHATSOEVER IF I CANNOT JAILBREAK IT. SO WHAT IS GOING ON? I EXPECTED A 4S JAILBREAK TO BE OUT ALREADY, TO ME THIS LIST IS JUST PLAIN INCONCEIVABLE.

The following device/firmware combination currently do NOT have a jailbreak at all, tethered or untethered.

(If you're not sure what firmware you're on, here's how to find your iOS firmware version)
    iPhone 4S | 5.0
    iPad 2 | 4.3.1
    iPad 2 | 4.3.2
    iPad 2 | 4.3.4
    iPad 2 | 4.3.5
    iPad 2 | 5.0

The following device/firmware combination currently ONLY have a tethered jailbreak, meaning you have to connect them to a computer when you reboot them.
    iPhone 3G | 4.3.4
    iPhone 3GS | 4.3.3
    iPhone 3GS | 4.3.4
    iPhone 3GS | 4.3.5
    iPhone 3GS | 5.0
    iPhone 4 | 4.2.9
    iPhone 4 | 4.2.10
    iPhone 4 | 4.3.3
    iPhone 4 | 4.3.4
    iPhone 4 | 4.3.5
    iPhone 4 | 5.0
    iPad 1 | 4.3.3
    iPad 1 | 4.3.4
    iPad 1 | 4.3.5
    iPod touch 3G | 4.3.4
    iPod touch 3G | 4.3.5
    iPod touch 4G | 4.3.4
    iPod touch 4G | 4.3.5
    iPod touch 4G | 5.0

HOW CAN IT BE THAT FIRMWARES AS OLD AS 4.2.9 D NOT HAVE A FULLY UNTETHER JAILBREAK AS IT SHOULD??

IF APPLE WINS AND MAKES THEIR iDEVICES UN-JAILBREAKABLE. I WILL STOP USING THEM. AND I DO NOT WANT TO.
    IS APPLE REALLY WINNING? OR IS THE JAILBREAK COMMUNITY SIMPLY LOOSING INTREST IN HAVING THEIR LATEST iDEVICES JAILBROKEN ON THE LATEST FIRMWARES???
    You mad bro? Why don't you make the jailbreaks?

Thanks

and for the caps lock...im a fast typer, did not realize had caps lock on till it was posted...apologies....

Quote Originally Posted by Tashawn View Post
    You mad bro? Why don't you make the jailbreaks?
    i wish i could my friend, i wish i could, but alas, i am not a coder, so i stick wishing, waiting and donating

Thanks

SORRY FOR THE UNRELATED POST BTW.....iWISH THERE WAS A GENERAL BOARD WHERE WE COULD POST SUCH THINGS AND GET THE BALL ROLLING...
    try this:
    https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

And if you apologize one more time, maybe I'll release an untethered JB for the 4S.
    (or maybe I won't!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    try this:
    https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

And if you apologize one more time, maybe I'll release an untethered JB for the 4S.
    (or maybe I won't!)
    come on man..... this is not helpful...
    i am really worried. are the jailbreak days ending?
    that list... that friggin´ list worries me, never had i seen before so many firmware versions un-jailbroken properly.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Thanks

that list... that friggin´ list worries me, never had i seen before so many firmware versions un-jailbroken properly.
    How are you helping? If you don't like it go to android.

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

It's the nature of the beast. iOS is expanding to more and more devices across multiple carriers using slightly different chipsets and other components. Not every jailbreak will work for every device. In due time your jailbreak woes will be a thing of the past. The jailbreak community isn't going anywhere but up.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tashawn's Avatar
    Thanks

Another thing, how did you not noticed that you was writing in all caps? I'm sure you had to look up at least once for accuracy. Copy and paste maybe?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

I am a coder and personally know that it isn't super easy to just make a jailbreak! So just be patient it will come.

Thanks
    Ya I'm in my final years of software engineering and this stuff is hard. I have total respect for all the jailbreakers. I only wish I could do what they do. They are working harder than you can imagine behind the scenes, just give it some time.

Thanks

iPhone 4S | 5.0
    iPad 2 | 4.3.1
    iPad 2 | 4.3.2
    iPad 2 | 4.3.4
    iPad 2 | 4.3.5
    iPad 2 | 5.0

iPhone 3G | 4.3.4
    iPhone 3GS | 4.3.3
    iPhone 3GS | 4.3.4
    iPhone 3GS | 4.3.5
    iPhone 3GS | 5.0
    iPhone 4 | 4.2.9
    iPhone 4 | 4.2.10
    iPhone 4 | 4.3.3
    iPhone 4 | 4.3.4
    iPhone 4 | 4.3.5
    iPhone 4 | 5.0
    iPad 1 | 4.3.3
    iPad 1 | 4.3.4
    iPad 1 | 4.3.5
    iPod touch 3G | 4.3.4
    iPod touch 3G | 4.3.5
    iPod touch 4G | 4.3.4
    iPod touch 4G | 4.3.5
    iPod touch 4G | 5.0

Do you know how to make redsn0w. LOL
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

Thanks
    Thanked 14,772 Times in 6,869 Posts

There is: General

A news post with nothing to do with jailbreaking is not the place for that.

Thanks

For what it's worth,
    I've been looking at benchmarks for Parallels / Fusion / VBox over the last few revisions of each, and while the ones from Mactech are definitely prettiest, they seem a little skewed in Parallel's favor
    most other tests I've found have showed a smaller "bump" -
    Parallels fastest but not by much.

In VMware's favor, it's broadly available on Mac / Win / Linux , and supports OS X guest (not officially though!) on Win/Linux. VMs are easily portable between systems, and the commercial VMware app can create machines that run on their Free desktop client. VMware Fusion (the Mac VMware host application) however is a separate offshoot, and not quite as stable as the VMware apps on Win / Linux)

In VirtualBox' favor, its free on all systems, and VMs can be portable (though I've seen problems, especially impotring VMs from older versions of Vbox). And some people find it faster on a Mac host than Parallels.

Parallels is reported to be the most stable, most solid and most "Mac-Like" when running on Mac hosts. It does great on benchmarks, and its fairly cheap (relative to VMware).

Edit: i hate bugs
    Last edited by raduga; 11-03-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    There is: General

A news post with nothing to do with jailbreaking is not the place for that.
    Was about to say that.

Regarding the article, think I might have to switch to Parallels then. Or this virtualbox you guys speak of, I've never heard of it. Maybe I've just been stuck on using VMware bc I really don't run Windows 7 much unless school calls for it.