+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: First Sales Numbers Emerge for Steve Jobs Biography

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Everyone knew it would be a bestseller. And now we're getting our first look at the sales data for Steve Jobs' official biography just one week after the must-read title
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default First Sales Numbers Emerge for Steve Jobs Biography

Everyone knew it would be a bestseller. And now we're getting our first look at the sales data for Steve Jobs' official biography just one week after the must-read title was officially released.

The Walter Isaacson-penned authorized biography of the late Apple CEO sold approximately 380,000 copies in its first week of availability (in just the U.S.). Given that impressive showing, the book is presently one of the best-selling titles of the year. And by the end of 2011, it will all but certainly be the year's best-selling book across all genres of print.

The bio, published by Simon & Schuster in the US, outsold the next bestselling book of the week, John Grisham's The Litigators by more than three copies to one, reports TheBookseller.com. It also outsold the second most popular non-fiction work (Bill O'Reilly's Killing Lincoln) by roughly eight copies to one. By all accounts, the book is a mega-hit that will continue to record off-the-chart sales.

The bio had initially be scheduled for release in the spring of 2012, but as the late Apple boss' health grew progressively worse through the summer of 2011, the publisher decided to bump up the release of the book to November. That date, however, was once again changed just weeks ago to October 24th.

Steve Jobs was said to be exceptionally pleased with author Walter Isaacson and granted the writer unprecedented access during his final days.

Source: TheBookseller.com

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

So, there were a lot of people complaining about the Steve Jobs memorial backplate that was released for the iPhone 4/4S as a clear money grab capitalizing on Steve's early death. Do any of you have comments on the earlier release date for this book?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I agree they should not have released earlier due to his death. They took advantage of his death to sell more books.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    So, there were a lot of people complaining about the Steve Jobs memorial backplate that was released for the iPhone 4/4S as a clear money grab capitalizing on Steve's early death. Do any of you have comments on the earlier release date for this book?
    My point exactly! It was coming out regardless. I myself bought a hardcover and one on my iPad. Great book so far!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trdragons44 View Post
    I agree they should not have released earlier due to his death. They took advantage of his death to sell more books.
    Yes. I'm happy they waited. It's sad to say, but I mentioned this to my buddy.

"Isn't it kinda funny how they delayed the launch of his bio then he steps down? It would make a killer ending if he died." joking around.. but apparently not.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    You make a good point there sziklassy but my initial thoughts when reading about the 2 date bumps was that maybe they were trying to release it before he actually kicked the bucket. Maybe we'll never know?

Thanks

Hmm.... good point.

What Would Steve Do?

A writer Steve Jobs hired to write a book about himself, a publisher Steve Jobs picked to distribute his book. Money going to: a wife he picked to spend his lifetime with, and kids he created himself (w/ help from the wife). The book also helps promote a company Steve Jobs seems to have cared about a little, now facing a holiday season with lackluster new products.

So.... what would Steve have wanted?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    ...and kids he created himself (w/ help from the wife).
    LOL, you better run and hide, there's probably already some ladies looking to lynch you for that statement.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

I see your logic in this, but I looked at the earlier release of the book a little differently. His death certainly effected a whole lot of people throughout the world. For many of these people, it's the first time they've had a true idol/icon of theirs die and the mourning was seen all over the place (I think many overreacted, but that's neither hear nor there). Releasing the book earlier would certainly boost sales, but it would also undoubtably help many to mourn his death and shed light on their icon/idol to help ease them through their grieving.

However, it should be mentioned that I didn't see anything wrong about those custom backplates either.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^ this book was announced before he died and was involved with it to get his story out. The back plate is capitalizing on his death.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

Apple products have always looked sleek and sexy. Even this book looks so sleek and sexy, my goodness! I miss Steve already.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    LOL, you better run and hide, there's probably already some ladies looking to lynch you for that statement.
    not news
    The randomly off topic thread